:eyes: This thread is starting to take a dark turnā€¦

2 Likes

But the cloutā€¦ think of the clout

1 Like

we havenā€™t even started to take a dark turn ā€¦

4 Likes

A once in a lifetime experience

2 Likes

That was my biggest hurdle going bevel up, bevel down was closer to the 17g venipunctures I did at the plasma center, required a good push but nothing crazy. A lot of the donors had major scar tissue so you had to get used to getting past the scar tissue and stopping quickly before going through the bottom of the vein. This procedure is honestly much more forgiving than venipunctures are.

1 Like

I asked a phlebotomist at my donor center if she could do bevel down because I noticed the scars are becoming more noticeable. She said no :frowning:
After the xG3 injector though, the plasma needles donā€™t hurt me anymore! lol

2 Likes

We are heavily regulated by extensive SOPs and regulatory bodies like the FDA and the EMA that dictate our procedures, and any deviations can cost you your job if the wrong person sees you. Itā€™s quite stressful honestlyā€¦that and the fact theyā€™re ran like a McDonaldā€™s trying to push as many donors through as possible, my center averaged 3000 donations a week in a not very populated area compared to other center that push 4-5000. Bevel down might also cause hemolysis, ruining the entire bottle of plasma, and likely wouldnā€™t run very well since the blood is being pumped out of you. The bevel would have an easier time suctioning to the bottom of your vein, if you have too shallow of an angle when you perform your venipuncture, then you might cause the same problem but with the top of the vein.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense!
I think hemolysis can a deferral for the donor as well. Remember seeing that in the prescreening questions every time before they thankfully shrank the question list by more than half!
Thankfully my current donation center is ran incredibly well! Iā€™ve got to two before that were nasty and getting people in and out as fast as possible. My current place though is always nice, clean, fully staffed besides one time that Iā€™ve been there, and the staff are all amazing. And nice equipment too. They pay their employees pretty well which is making me think about applying for a job there when I get my EMT cert if I canā€™t get on an ambulance right out of class.

1 Like

Just own them as a badge of donation :drop_of_blood:

My arms look like a junkies with a bad habit

4 Likes

Sorry to make you do work Pilgrim! :smiley:

lol same, though I wish it was my hands due to DT products haha

2 Likes

Ha, youā€™re all good, Iā€™m probably worse than anybody at derailing.
Your chat was still on topic, but just thought it better to leave the instal thread with more pictures than chatter

1 Like

I do go to that thread for the pics not the words XD

1 Like

lol definitely not!
I had my frustrations with the two previous donor centers I went to. I feel really lucky to have my current center, itā€™s my version of a spa. I go there stressed from life, lay in a padded chair, and watch YT vids for an hour and a half and get paid for it, then leave with less fat in my blood, and believe it or not more hydrated because I suck at drinking water before donating XD
They train in house for poking, so it would give me good practice with larger needles before I start the paramedic classes that deal with IVs which would give me a good head start!

I have a new kitten. My hands and forearms look like I had a fight with Wolverine. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

REMEMBER the rules everybody

Thread rules:

All replies must include a fur baby photo or video as tribute
Refer to rule 1

3 Likes

Thatā€™s great! Donā€™t let my frustrations with the American healthcare system discourage you, Iā€™m just bitter haha. With an EMT cert in some states I believe you can be a part of the medical supervisor department where you respond to reactions, do physicals, etc, and I hear they get paid well. And you donā€™t have to deal with quotas as much haha.

1 Like

I found a wonderful web tool that will make @Pilgrimsmaster hate me so much more

About to take the ā€œanything but metricā€œ to new heights (Or lows lol)

its even better that he found the first of my shitty units before I even got around to post this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I DONā€™T HATE YOU

1 Like

desire to measure in seagulls intensifies

5 Likes