The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Because you were so polite
Now also a RETORT

3 Likes

The problem with relying on voltage is that it only tells you the charge state of the battery. It says nothing of the batteryā€™s capacityā€“which for better or worse is measure in amp hoursā€¦ During a batteryā€™s discharge (with regard to lead acid), sulfates accumulate on the lead plates. As this occurs, the batteryā€™s capacity decreases. With deep cycle batteries, you can hit them with a higher voltage to break down the sulfates but it causes hydrogen off gasssing so donā€™t do this with SLA battsā€¦ Eventually, the lead break down enough that you lose a cell (each lead acid cell offers 2v so your 12v batt has six cells) and then and only then will your max voltage drop enough to be suspect.

Thatā€™s why you measure conductance to determine the health of a battery rather than voltage which only tells you itā€™s current chargeā€“which might only have a capacity of 10% of your specā€¦

If you really want to dive into batteries, check out the conductance curves. A battery will actually initially be improving when you first commission it (unless youā€™re just deep cycling itā€¦) This is known as ā€œforming.ā€

2 Likes

4 Likes

Just a personal anecdote, but as someone with ADHD that struggles greatly with reading comprehension(I can read very quickly but I will not take in any of that information unless I read it multiple times.) I gravitated towards the right text first and I only had to read it once to understand what it was saying

2 Likes

Thatā€™s funnyā€¦ other people with ADHD I know will also look at ā€œthe wrong thingā€ of a meme first then read the words that apply where normally people would read the words and then look at the photoā€¦ it might be an attempt to comprehend the photo first to help with text comprehension. Thatā€™s interesting!

4 Likes

UHF

Great Review on the Bambu Lab P1S
:3d_print:

What did you use to scan your head?

2 Likes

I used an Xbox Kinect (the 360 kinect) years ago, using some special software. It was probably like 2017? 2016?

You can adapt a kinect on PC, by chopping off the special connector, exposing 5 wires. You wire 4 of them to standard USB, and two to a 12 volt supply (you share the ground). However, I did a really shoddy job of doing this, and right after taking that head scan, 12 volts shorted to the 5v lines. Killed half of the USB ports on that old motherboard, as well as killing the kinect itself.

I have another kinect I picked up at a garage sale, and tried to adapt that as well, but couldnā€™t get it to work. Thinking the kinect itself might also be dead. Need to take another look at it and see if I can get it working this time, I found it recently.

Pro-tip: the software is called Skanect. It costs a good amount of money, but if you just search Skanect + names of random colleges, you may or may not find an ā€œalternativeā€ way of using the software :wink:

You can get Xbox 360 kinects on ebay for like $10-12.

2 Likes

I redid all of the wiring, got it working! Hopefully did a better job wiring this time, so I donā€™t have another shortā€¦

Excited to do more scanning!

EDIT: Did a scan of a chunk of my desk, seems to have worked well.

1 Like

Final head scan :slight_smile:

Took ages to get one I was happy with. The side of my shoulder messed up a little, but thatā€™s a pretty minor error in the grand scheme of things.

4 Likes

I did this with my Kinect years and years agoā€¦ never found a fun use for it though. Gotta dig it out of a box somewhere.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a shame how little things have come in the last 10 years. The hardware of the Kinect v1 is capable of a ton, but software never caught up, especially on the open source end. libfreenect is neat, and has some stuff to play around with, but nothing useful.

On the proprietary windows end, Skanect itself is barely updated, despite being a paid product, and the company has pivoted to using newer scanners of their own brand. Microsoft has their 3D Scan tool, but it only supports the Kinect v2 from the Xbox One.

I might eventually give in and buy a different scanner with modern software, or build a photogrammetry rig.

The problem is, even once you have a quality scan, regardless of solution, manipulating it into something useful is still a PITA. It feels like there are two sides of 3D model design. The CAD side, for functional parts, and the art side. Taking something in a loose 3D model, with a ton of imperfections, and using it in a CAD workflow, seems nearly impossible without a ton of work. There has been a ton of times where I would want to match the contour of something in a scan, but it doesnā€™t seem like thatā€™s easy to do. I used to use Meshmixer for that kind of thing, but it hasnā€™t been updated in 5 years, and it feels like nothing has taken over that slack for manually editing meshes.

In pretty much all cases, itā€™s better just to manually measure and make a part in proper CAD software, even if the fit isnā€™t absolutely perfect to certain contours.

Iā€™m hoping someone like Bambu Lab makes a 3D scanner as well. The hardware is there, and has been there since the first Kinect, but the software needs so much work.

Itā€™s X-box, not A-Box.

:crazy_face: :robot_gundam:

1 Like

Little weird, but bear with me.
Does anybody know about living / work conditions around Gold Beach Oregon?

Long story short.
My work recently announced theyā€™re shutting everything down and moving the work mostly overseas. The plant will be closed by end of 2024, but I could literally be laid off at any time. Nobody local is going to pay a decent wage or use my skills. My choices are, stick it out, and retrain (free college on unemployment), or pack up and move.

Thereā€™s not much holding me here. Itā€™s just me and the cat. Oh, and they made a total asshat (bully personality) my boss. So work is now incredibly boring AND stressful.

Iā€™ve lived on the plains of Kansas, and Iā€™m in the hilly woods of Arkansas now. Edge of the ocean next to the mountains sounds good. Iā€™m also set on moving someplace rural, and with access to gold mining.

I like rain, we get ~5 inches a year here, whatā€™s 70-80 inches like? Also is it straight falling rain (Arkansas) or the windswept rain that comes at you sideways (Kansas)? Constant and light, or periodic downpour? Constant Downpour?

Iā€™m a machinist, and I donā€™t see any shops in the area, but Iā€™ve always been a fix it kind of guy. Any suggestions?

If Oregon is anything like western Washington then the rain will hardly ever be like it is over thereā€¦ here itā€™s rather tame ā€¦ just a lot in terms likeā€¦ you might get 2 weeks of straight mild cloudy rainy days whereas over there it tends to all just come down like crazy all at once.

Climate change is kicking in thoughā€¦ summers are way drier nowā€¦ wildfires burning down whole statesā€¦ people moving up from Cali and Oregon to Washington because the desert that used to be Southern California is now encroaching on mid and north Oregon in partsā€¦

Why not go for a drive and check the place out. You can crash on my fold out if you get up this way.

1 Like

@Zwack is currently an Oregonian, he may have some local knowledge for youā€¦

But we havenā€™t seen him for a while :sob:

3 Likes

I wonā€™t tell you about the disaster at work the other day then. We have too many projects with very short deadlines right now, and after working until Midnight on Tuesday and 7am to midnight on Wednesday, on Thursday I made two mistakes and brought down a non production instance.

As for Gold Beach. I have been through Gold Beach itā€™s about 200 miles south of me, near the California border.

I believe that Gold Beach and Brookings have a micro climate so they are warmer than the surrounding coastal areas. That area is known as the Banana belt.

Sorry I canā€™t really answer any questions about it specifically.

3 Likes

The rain varies from constant drizzle to drenching downpours, it also goes from vertical to horizontal just depending on the weather.

I have no real experience of Gold Beach though.

2 Likes

A classy offer for sure, especially given how I snore, but itā€™s a 36hr straight through drive. I figure in real world time thatā€™s a 4 day trip, one way. Then a day to recover, a day to look around, and 4 days back. Thatā€™s a 10 day trip to get to look around one day.

Amtrack doesnā€™t stop there, and itā€™d take even longer.

I guess I could fly, but Iā€™ve never done that before (really), and Iā€™d be car-lesss when I arrived. Nothing money wonā€™t overcome, butā€¦ Money IS a problem.

I guess Iā€™m just at the remote research stage. Itā€™s gonna be the same problem I had when I moved to Arkansas. I canā€™t go until I get a job, and I canā€™t get a job until I go.

Last time I solved the problem by selling everything I owned and buying a class A RV, and just drove down with everything I had left (cat and clothes).

1 Like

Fly over to Seattleā€¦ Iā€™ll pick you up and weā€™ll go for a drive :slight_smile: Iā€™ve not seen Gold Beach with, and we can swing by Astoria where Goonies was filmed!

9 Likes