The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Correct

Those donā€™t REDUCE recoil as often colloquially described, but simply change the time frame in which the energy is transferredā€¦ or a better way to explain is that it changes the recoil impulse

Other things such as muzzle breaks, and some compensators, do actually reduce recoil by venting gas in the direction of recoil impulse canceling some out

But something like a 12 gauge pump or a standard bolt action rifle doesnā€™t use these tricks to soften it, a 12 gauge recoil is still, but it doesnā€™t break your shoulder as people often love to over exaggerateā€¦ at worst it bruises (typically from bad shooting form)

Back to the armor discussion,

armor is complicated

when looking at stuff like that helmet, the more important thing to look into is ā€œback face deformationā€

This is the effect of the armor catching and slowing down the bullet but it does it over a distance that is sometimes longer than the armor is thick, which results in forces being exerted into the body

In the case of a soft body armor (think cop vest)
It may stop the bullet but have something like 2ā€ of back face deformationā€¦ so imagine instead of a bullet sized foot print on impacts itā€™s a goofball sized impact that pushes into you 2-4ā€ at a good amount of velocity

Gunna hurt like a mother, possibly break ribs, or in the case of central thoracicā€¦ it could stop or damage your heart depending on the shot

ā€œStoppingā€ a bullet is only half the equation
You need to stop it quick enough without transferring too much blunt force impact to the wearer

Chinessium helmets often have very extreme levels of back face deformation, that would crack your skull or lead to severe TBI

Back face deformation, edge test, and shot density, and even special threat rounds are all things that complicate armor
NIJ is the standard go to org for certifications, but it costs money and many MANY companies skirt it by saying their product ā€œmeets or exceedsā€
(And only meeting or exceeding cherry picked parts)
or is ā€œcompliantā€ rather than actually ā€œcertified NIJ X standardā€

Whatā€™s even more fun and complicated is
Letā€™s say you wanted to make armor that can stop .308 Winchester / 7.62x51 NATO

.223 Remington / 5.56x45 NATO is a smaller and lighter round, so youā€™d THINK itā€™s easier to stop that 308, but it depends on what type of armor we are talking aboutā€¦
something like steel itā€™s easier to stop 308 because itā€™s a physically larger and slower bullet, regardless of energy
Where as the 223 will go thru it like a hot knife because of velocity and footprint

Those kind of Chinese companies will ā€œtestā€ it with 308 and then let people make their own flawed conclusions that are everything lower is stopped by it

You also have things like poly plates, which uses I forget what, but a particular blend of plasticā€¦ and works really wellā€¦ until it gets coldā€¦ and then itā€™s properties changes

And ceramic plates if mistreated can develop internal hairline cracks that significantly weaken it

Fabric aramid soft armor can be significantly degraded from biological growth occurring inside it from humidity, so they are often sealed, but maybe that sealed bag is shitty and it allows in humidity from your body

Steel armor is often easily defeated by higher velocity rounds, and can cause such extreme spall from the shattered rounds to pose a lethal fragmentation risk

Anyone that says that body armor is easy, is either ignorant or lying

1 Like

They can also redirect the energy so that itā€™s not all straight back into your hand and shoulder. Iā€™m super interested in rifles like the kriss because it has a huge spring loaded weight in the stock that effectively shoots downward which redirects the energy and also counteracts muzzle lift. The full auto version for military can fire 45 caliber rounds one after another in auto mode and the muzzle barely moves.

Having shot the KRISS, Iā€™m very underwhelmed in semi auto

Im sure the balance is great during full auto, but during semi, you still feel a lot of impulse, the timing is not synced well

Also the safety levels are god awefulā€¦ digs into my thumb with every recoil impulseā€¦

This. The recoil felt from the weapon is stored by the potential energy saved from the spring at each reload. So the statement that what is felt as recoil is equal to what is stopped isnā€™t genuine.

Alsoā€¦

Equal and opposite reactions

An AR is not a blow back, the breach is sealed during most of the recoil impulse imparting force straight through the stock

Once it unlocks the bolt is driven back by gas pressure from the gas port

You should try shooting an ar with its gas system disabled it actually has a softer felt recoil since you arenā€™t slinging around a half pound of bolt carrier

Even in the case of a blow back design, springs donā€™t push back in only the direction you compress them,

@Hamspiced

Pretty sweetā€¦

we have a @NixieGeek

and also, have you seen @StarGate01 steampunk cosplay

Teaser ( Thereā€™s more to it, and worth checking out )

Link (to link)

1 Like

This was a really really fun kit of a project I picked up a few years ago. It was about 90$ with the tubes on ebay. Shipped from Ukraine, the instructions were even in Russian/Ukrainian?. But the project was seriously a lot of fun and easily worth double that for the joy of having one of these.

Since built I threw it in that little wooden box I picked up from the craft store and stained it, also switched it from USB micro to USB-C

They also have the other version as well with the IN-12 tubes

If you have a soldering iron you can build these. Itā€™s all through hole components so nothing complex. Highly recommend

2 Likes

Quick sanity check. The Northstar implant was just a hall effect activated LED thing right? Iā€™m seeing mention of it being a compass on here but not in any articles Iā€™ve seen

It actually had a compass chip built in similar to the kind your phone uses. It would buzz and light up when the front face of it was facing north? I think thatā€™s how the UI worked anyway.

Iā€™m not sure what chip was in it but hereā€™s an example.

HMC5843.pdf (609.4 KB)

So basically yes, a hall effect sensor but one hell of a sensitive one

2 Likes

I actually have a 6 tube nixie clock I need to build, itā€™s been in the box since I received it like 5 years ago :sweat_smile:

I was under the impression I was only given the tubes themselves, and still needed to source a boardā€¦ so it sat while I got lost trying to find the right board

A month or 6 ago I happened to take a peek inside and Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve had a board the whole time :sweat_smile::roll_eyes:

Will be a nice project to break in my pinecil when it gets here

6 Likes

Super fun project. Be careful with the tails that come off the tube theyā€™re brittle

I was initially thinking about having a carpenter friend help me with the wood, not a material I work with or have the tools for

But then I started thinking about clear resin 3D printing somethingā€¦ for that 90s translucent look that I am stoked to see coming back

2 Likes

This is one awesome cosplay and I wouldnā€™t like to take it off if I had oneā€¦

https://twitter.com/ferio2/status/1702329055880876046

3 Likes

Interestingā€¦

3 Likes

Picked up some new contact lenses.

8 Likes

Was watching a random YouTube video and wouldnā€™t ya know it, guy has a magnet implant. Small world.

7 Likes

The whole breaks my brain, is it photoshoped or just a portal to another dimension?

That immediately made me think of The dark den on YouTube. Do you have any tarantulas?

2 Likes

I donā€™t but I do use them as feeders.

I have a crested gecko and three Australian green tree frogs. :smile:

1 Like

I have two bottles of clear resin I havenā€™t been brave enough to use yet, I hear clear resin doesnā€™t play nice.

If you think to, I wouldnā€™t mind hearing back on how you had to adjust the settings, if at all vs standard grey. If I beat you to it I can return the favor.

I havenā€™t had any issues actually printing with it
Itā€™s more or less the same printability

Getting it to be properly clear is another thing, it likes to yellow from uvā€¦ which sure is good that you donā€™t need uv in the process
You can minimize and alter how you long you expose and cure it to get less yellowing, along with different brands

You also get a kind of frosted surface, from surface texture, voxelation, etc etcā€¦ you can recoat the part after the fact with more resin or clear coat or a bunch of various other stuff that matches the refraction something something about the material

Look up on YouTube tape onto frosted glass, itā€™s the same time

1 Like