The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

If itā€™s a movie I actually like, and want to be able to watch on demand Iā€™ll get a physical copy. Canā€™t get taken away or cancelled that way. :slightly_smiling_face:

I also just like the nostalgia of handling and watching a VHS from time to time.

1 Like

The problem is, whatā€™s the current physical format anymore. And where the hell would I even buy it?

1 Like

Current format is optical in either DVD or BluRay. I tend to collect movies and dvds the rip them so I can watch them on my computer whenever

3 Likes

Blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray, and to some extent, DVD. Most big box stores still sell current releases on all three formats, sometimes in the same case as a UHD/Blu-ray bundle or Blu-ray/DVD bundle. They often include a digital code too, which I usually just give away to family/friends.

1 Like

My pc has a 2tb hard drive for just this reason. Have a hankering to bing watch 10 seasons of Stargate? No problem.

2 Likes

When I select Martinique as a country I only get an Address field.
When submitting the error says missing fields: coords, street, cityā€¦

Anniversary :slight_smile:

4 years active, 5 years since I created my account.

11 Likes

Hell yeah!!!
Nicely done!

@tac0s :point_up:
FYI

2 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™m actually peeking at it now.

TLDR

Itā€™s not finding any addresses in Martinique. But thereā€™s a bug as the submit button shouldnā€™t be enabled since the user was never prompted to pick the correct address.

3 Likes

FYI Martinique is actually France but often shows up as a ā€œcountryā€ in drop-down menus despite not being one. Maybe thatā€™s it?

3 Likes

Yup. But also no.

Give that a whirl. I can find stuff in MQ now.

2 Likes

It worked :palm_tree:

3 Likes

I see more and more community made implant-accessories that deserve to be sold in a convenient dedicated location! :smirk:
Could DT handle something like that? Should it be entirely community driven? What projects should be in there and how would batches and stock be coordinated?

We needā€¦
  • ā€¦community products on the DT catalog
  • ā€¦an independent webstore for community projects
  • ā€¦a DT managed community marketplace
  • ā€¦let everyone do their own thing

0 voters

1 Like

Iā€™m definitely in the camp of ā€œlet everyone do their own thingā€ā€¦ but also Iā€™ve just commissioned a bulk run of @Az_F 's Lodestone PICO units for sale on the store.

There are a lot of different types of community projects, some of them require individuals to tinker and build from parts or plans, while others are interested in producing and supplying finished units.

Some people arenā€™t interested in tinkering or buying parts and putting things together, they just want to get something that works. I think we can solve that problem by purchasing in bulk and making it available on the website.

Also, some creators are not interested in the logistical aspect of shipping a bunch of stuff all over. Here again I think it makes sense to just purchase in bulk and supply via the store.

9 Likes

The SECRET is OUT!!!

You are so sneaky AZ

:emoji_fingerwag:

7 Likes

Sounds like a good compromise and a mutually beneficial deal. It sure takes the load of marketing and selling off of the creators shoulders while boosting both the project and DTā€™s catalog.
There might be some clarification needed on how projects are selected and how involved the community should be in that decision.

I believe thatā€™s what the end goal was for Community projects , so itā€™s nice to see it become a thing.

Yup and thanks to @amal , this is a big step in making magnets even cooler :partying_face:

7 Likes

I think the process this went through is probably close to ideal;

• creator makes a thing, posts
  • community likes
  • creator makes a few copies
  • creator sells few things to people
  • community happy
  • DT approaches creator about bulk production
  • creator decides to make a batch
  • creator and DT negotiate price
  • creator delivers to DT for retail sale

The step where I / DT would approach the creator is based purely on my subjective opinion of whether the ā€œthingā€ would be a good fit with the products already on the store.

15 Likes

This is IMHO the best approach.

6 Likes

Came across these two quotes from David Labaree:

ā€œwe have credentialism to thank for aversion to learning that, to a great extent, lies at the heart of our educational system.ā€

ā€œThe payoff for a particular credential is the same no matter how it was acquired, so it is rational behavior to try to strike a good bargain, to work at getting a diploma, like a car, at a substantial discount. The effect on education is to emphasize form over contentā€”to promote an educational system that is willing to reward students for formal compliance with modest performance requirements rather than for demonstrating operational mastery of skills deemed politically and socially useful.ā€

Thereā€™s a lot of truth in there. And itā€™s another reminder that some idiots really like their status symbols and relative positioning games. Humans tend to disappoint.

3 Likes