The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Today I learned that my wife lost one of our two mailbox keys in the car accident last week so we only have one key. Not the end of the world, but itā€™s inconvenient. Turns out the mailbox lock is up to us, not the building and ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ I have this sexy sexy implantā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ LOL hmmmmmmmmmmm

3 Likes

Thatā€™s hard to tell for some reasonsā€¦ the first one being that English is the only other language I am fluent in :smile:

I learned it pretty early (through good old Lucasfilm Games point-and-click adventures :wink: ), and I am constantly surrounded by it - be it on this forum, in songtexts or because itā€™s just the language you agree on when talking with people all over the world. So itā€™s easy to keep on using it, and that makes learning it a lot easier as well.
If I actually take a look at the language, it seems relatively easy, considering there is only a ā€œtheā€ and not a ā€œder, die dasā€ or a ā€œ-in, -inn, -iĆ°ā€ or whatever, and verbs only change in one case (3rd person singular). That makes basic learning of the language a lot easier for beginners. Later you find all the irregularities the English language has (especially considering pronounciation, as Rosco already said), and things get more complicated, but I think to learn English on a basic level just to get along with is relatively easy.

Dutch is maybe one step more difficult, and Iā€™m still far from understanding all the subtleties and details, but then again, Iā€™m learning it on a smartphone-app while I learned English at schoolā€¦

French was hell for me, simply because - sorry to all native speakers! - I do not really like the sound of the language, nor do I plan on travelling there, so it was hard to motivate me to learn it. Had it for some years at school and never really understood the grammar, so either Iā€™m too dumb for it or it is a bit more complicated :wink:

Icelandic isā€¦ well, I just started learning it, so any judgement might be unfair. I think itā€™s pretty logical, and pretty complicated as well, and my tongue has to learn a lot new movements to pronounce all this funny stuff. But I love the sound of the language and plan on travelling there, so I decided to learn at least enough of it to more-or-less get along thereā€¦ and hope that English is enough for the rest of it :wink:

(sidenote - I think itā€™s sooo rude to travel somewhere and just expect everyone will be able to speak some language you understand, though this happens to me as well sometimes. So I decided to learn at least the sentence ā€œsorry, but I donā€™t speak XYā€ and ā€œexcuse me, do you speak Englishā€, along with some basics like hello and bye, for every country I want to visit^^)

1 Like

Thou art not quite correct here :slight_smile:

Also, will / wonā€™t / shall / shanā€™t. And Iā€™m most certainly forgetting a million irregularities.

Hey, Iā€™m talking about the basics, not all those funny special cases :stuck_out_tongue:
I think to learn enough to get along is pretty easy, to learn all the subtleties and specials is as hard as in any other language :wink:

It ainā€™t a special case, itā€™s just out of favor.

Just pulling your leg anyway.

thereā€™s a blurred link in this post which is a video from my flex install.

Not EM, using needleā€¦ so probably not so great for your use case. :woman_shrugging:
but who knowsā€¦

1 Like

lmao

Damn!! you reminded me of an abomination I thought to have forgotten!!

Also, @Coma, another pearl from Germany techno scene from way back!! :rofl:

1 Like

Hell guys, whatā€™s wrong with you? :rofl:
Though I must admit, it reminds me of times when really strange music videos were actually on TVā€¦ happy 90s :wink:

this one was maybe a bit better-known, but nevertheless - I really love it!

1 Like

I blame @mrln!! :rofl:
I had successfully repressed HGich.T to the dark corners of my mind for the past decade at least! :relieved:

But Sebastian is a terrible albeit good clip! and brings a better message than the above abominations!! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, thanks a lot - I just researched some more clips of them, and I feel like I wandered a bit too long in the dark, littered, moist and poorly lit back-alleys of the internetā€¦ again. :stuck_out_tongue: I love that :wink:

I just love this over-the-top gay attitude, the colour, the costumes and the lyrics as well - I think they capture the 90s feeling pretty well, at least what I remember of it (though I was maybe just too young for all thatā€¦ then again, unlike those who were in party-age already, I can remember the 90s :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

If anyone here would actually enjoy that, Iā€™m glad itā€™s you! :sweat_smile:

Oh, yes!!

We had fewer of that in the 90s, but it felt a lotā€¦ ā€œlouder-prouderā€ back then!

Sure those were good times!

1 Like

Good that this is already the derail-threadā€¦ :wink:
I think in times ago, 90s, even earlier, a lot of artists used a very ā€œgayā€ aesthetic, more or less obviously. And people knew, and it was okay - everybody knew Freddy Mercury was bisexual, Jimmy Sommerville was gay, and lots of others as well. Iā€™m currently watching R.E.M.s ā€œLosing my Religionā€ again, and itā€™s at least sexually ambivalent, and Iā€™m not even talking about stuff like Frankie goes to Hollywood and all that. And it was okay, at least to a certain degree - today, people with a lifestyle of those ā€œold-time-starsā€ (considering their sexual choices, but also drug use and lots of other things) would get shredded to parts by boulevard magazines and ā€œsocialā€ media.

On the other side, I have a gay colleague who is a bit older, and who sometimes talks about being gay in the 80s, 90s and such - the insane party life and freedom, yes, but also the fear to get beaten up, even in lager German cities.

So maybe artists of all kind had a lot more freedom then, but ā€œcommon peopleā€ had lessā€¦ dunno.

Nothing beats this:

Or this:

Or anything Kraftwerk in fact.

Many enjoyable intoxicated hours have been spent by yours truly on those two particular teutonic pieces of artwork.

love

It seems like internationally, German 90s (and earlier) electronic stuff thatā€™s close to trash (well, obviously not Kraftwerk - but Mo-Do is pretty trashy! Though from Italyā€¦ :thinking: ) is quite popular?

Or itā€™s just the ideal music to be high to - that would explain the 90s in generalā€¦^^

edit: Ha, found one of my old favourites again - I love the aesthetic of it, and actually Keith Flint was the reason for my first ever piercing :smile:

Can definitely back that one up!!

Had the priviledge of watching their live performance in Verona! trully intoxicating experience! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah well, Mo-Do is pretty dumb, but itā€™s perfect for when youā€™re not fully in control of yourself :slight_smile:

But Kraftwerk is enjoyable even when youā€™re sober and you want to listen intently.

As for the 90s, I canā€™t say itā€™s my favorite decade, but yeah, it ranks pretty high. Thatā€™s a time period I remember fondly because I still felt there was a future to look forward to back then :slight_smile:

Totally agree! Though I do not really like all of it, I just have to respect the giant influence Kraftwerk had on all kinds of electronic music at least in Germany, and it totally qualifies as art. Might be a bit mainstream-y, but I like ā€œDas Modelā€ and ā€œRadioactivityā€ mostā€¦ :wink:

Thought about that for a momentā€¦ canā€™t say I have any favorite decade, because a lot of things have improved until now and I wouldnā€™t want to miss them, but what I like a lot about the 90s is the strange combination of the 68s-rebellion-thing (obvious in the punk subculture, but also in a lot of other aspects) with the early-60s-hippie-feeling of the techno sceneā€¦ both had some kind of revival in the 90s. And sexual freedom in general was a bit easier back then, I think - currently, itā€™s all getting so complicated againā€¦

I loved the 80ā€™s. The money was easy, the parties were wild, the music was over the top, nobody gave a shit about nothing, Of course, the easy living was a completely artificial side-effect of Reaganism, and weā€™re all paying for it even today. But I didnā€™t know that back then. Good timesā€¦

The 70ā€™s were okay, but they felt like a bittersweet version of the 60ā€™s to me. It lacked the purity of thought of the decade it superseded, and the fuck-it-who-cares quality of the decade that followed.

Okay, now you got me wonderingā€¦
I mean, I only write about the decades I have seen, and I even rule out the 80s mostly, because I was a child thenā€¦

I think you might be a bit older than I thoughtā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue: