The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

My point of view is that we are all just living creatures in a tinny blue particle of nothing floating on space. Not fan of divisions, legally yeah, I got a passport and visas and genetically yeah, I was created with DNA from this and that people. But other than that. I think a human can admire the achievements of any other human on the world, I got no problem with anyone being or living how they want to be as long as they donā€™t aim to hurt others with their actions or believes.

Btw, have you seen this little girl?

Ditto!

Agreed!

Guess I shouldā€™ve been a bit more specific.

When I say ā€œa culture you donā€™t belong toā€ I am not referring to any bloodline stuff. I am talking about a state of being.

If you feel as part of a culture, therefore you know it, you live it, you study itā€¦ then you are part of that culture.

Similarly, if you really appreciate another culture, so you study it and/or you connect to it in some wayā€¦ then that has a meaning to youā€¦ that makes a tattoo completely valid!!

What goes to the ā€œblack faceā€ aspect, imho, is when John Doe looks a tattoo on another guy, takes it to his artist and says ā€œI want that oneā€. And never even cares about whatā€™s the meaning of that or where that comes from.

I follow Gakkinā€™s work!
And dare I say, she is already better than many artists around my hometown!! :rofl:

If I had enough skin left to tattoo I would actually have considered getting a piece from her!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I really like what you did to your conch there!!

I like how you defined ā€œbeing a part of a cultureā€. Feels very fitting to me.

And this doesnā€™t only apply to ā€œculturalā€ or ā€œspiritualā€ tattoos - copycats are always a problem, for anything you copy might have a meaning that is not obviously visible, and chosing such a motive only for aesthetic reasons does it no right. There are tattoos that are mainly for aesthetic reasons, and Iā€™m fine with that! But ā€œstealingā€ a tattoo from another person (or another culture you donā€™t know) without knowing its possible meaning is never a good idea :wink:

Yeah, me too - was an idea that somehow came to me, and I asked my piercer if it was possible. Of course it was, just a simple conch with a ring instead of a studā€¦ But it looks pretty unique, and I love it :slight_smile:

My other ear:

As you can see, I like unusal stuff in my ears^^

My conch is also with a ring.
But getting the low conch and wrapping around the lobeā€¦ neat!

Uhhhā€¦ I like that lobe industrial right there!!
and the 3 little dots!

I actually thought of doing those, but my year does not help with them.

1 Like

Do you cycle at -30C or is that a bit too cold for you? How far do you have to go? Even in an enclosed Velomobile I imagine itā€™s anything but toasty

These problems all go away with an EV.

1 Like

True, but you get the problem of up to 40% less range at the temperature he mentioned, and other assorted problems. EVs and cold donā€™t really go that well togetherā€¦

Except modern EVs have both heating and cooling circuits built into their batteriesā€¦ if you leave it plugged in at home, or when itā€™s moving, itā€™ll keep it at a good temperature. There are some exceptions to this (e.g. range mode ON and not charging on the Tesla Model S / X), but overall EVs are much smarter than people think.

1 Like

I am not disputing that EVs are smart and have mitigation strategies for cold weather and such but a part of the reduction in range stems directly from that. Isnā€™t just me who is saying that. The following study was conducted on modern electric cars by the AAA (please keep in mind they could have a bias against EV). It appears that a part of the range loss comes exactly from the heating for the batteries/internal systems (about 12% energy cost per 1000 miles increase at 20F, HVAC off in a 2017 Tesla Model S 75D) & space heating (about 64.75% as above with HVAC on - the much larger part). Numbers taken from pages 55-56. And for the record, I am not against EVs, but I recognize that they still have some way to go.

AAA-Electric-Vehicle-Range-Testing-Report.pdf (7.3 MB)

I almost bought a Tesla Model S a few years ago, for no reason other than to treat myself to a nice toy. But just before signing on the dotted line, reason and common sense came back to me: I donā€™t drive enough for this car to make any sense for me. Sometimes 3 months pass befween start-ups with my cars.

I drive so seldom in fact that I actually asked Tesla whether it would hurt the battery pack to leave the car parked for weeks or months at a time. They replied to me a month later to tell me they added a special mode in the firmware to artificially ā€œcycleā€ the batteries a little when theyā€™re not being used for a long time, to keep them from aging prematurely.

In short, for someone who drives regularly, an EV makes sense. For someone like me who lets his car sleep for long stretches at a time, an old gas-powered beater makes a lot more sense.

Range reduction is still definitely a problem in the winter, but as far as I know, the space heating issue can be largely resolved by setting your vehicle to preheat the cabin while itā€™s still plugged in. Most EVs support setting a leave time (including daily commute scheduling), then itā€™ll heat up with wall power.

Especially for average length commutes of ~30 minutes, having the cabin at temp really helps with range. Most of that initial power use is getting the vehicle warm in the first place, rather than keeping it warm while driving.

2 Likes

This is so different to me. I have two vehicles so that I donā€™t get stranded, and I drive an hour (one way) to work every day.

I didntā€™t even think of that! A smart approach. There will still be heat loss since cars tend not to be particularly well thermally insulated, so there would still be some decrease, but still. Good to see.

Yep, still some energy needed for maintenance of the heat, but itā€™s a good approach, I think nearly all manufacturers support it now.

Doesnā€™t apply either if someone needs to leave on short notice, but EVs are generally marketed towards the steady daily commute crowd for that reason. Not built for road trips.

An EV would definitely not be good for me for instance atm, considering I go on spontaneous 200 mile drives every few weeks and I canā€™t charge at my college, but for those with a consistent daily commute & a single family home (or newer apartments), theyā€™re definitely a solid option.

I do like being able to fill up my car in like 5 minutes and get another 300 miles of range. Hopefully as ā€œsuperchargersā€ become more common and improve, that can be resolved on the EV side of things, though.

Still, I donā€™t mind. You donā€™t need to be trained or get a knowledge degree to put a ā€œlegendaryā€ or ā€œiconicā€ tattoo with a lot of background history behind it. If you like it and someone can slap it on wherever you want then fine. Is just ink on skin, not a Medal of Honor no matter what it means to you and perhaps a whole group of people, its meaning for one or a bunch of people not an irrefutable mathematical law. Who is out there to qualify and graduate the knowledge of certain imageryā€˜s background? Or what comitĆ© has the requirements to belong to a certain culture.

Sounds more like a gang or turfs thing to me.

I say it because I am an artist as well, more specific a photographer. And yeah Iā€™ve heard all that, copies, too many noobs with cameras, people with no real training or background, respect for the people with more experience. Blah blah blah, at the end is all up in peopleā€™s heads what they think or they feel against what others want to do, try or experiment with.

Itā€™s like suddenly no one can use the poop :poop: emoji just because you donā€™t know about Dr. Slump or the way that Japanese actually used it and the meaning that it has for them. Or like suddenly no one can have a bobbing head doll whatever in their cars because is a disrespectful to another culture.

Is the intention of limiting what others can or canā€™t do just based on your own mental conclusions that makes no sense to me.

I was born in mexico and lived in USA many years. And someone can have a fat mariachi eating a burrito, crossing the border while being chased by immigration hiding among cactuses and dropping cans of beans tattoo and it really means absolutely nothing to me. I donā€™t need to or feel offended if they just thought the scene was comical. Or they like the style of the art. I donā€™t need to go teaching how many real families are torn apart blah blah blah. If you like its cool! We still can be best friends forever and Iā€™ll be on your side when someone gives you shit about your tattoo. Naming, titles, borders, all that limits the creative or experimental expresiĆ³n is horrible.

People should not be responsible for other peopleā€™s perceptions.

And by saying that. Iā€™ll shut up and free you from anymore of my opinions :zipper_mouth_face::+1:t2:

1 Like

I canā€™t speak for Eyeux, but I meant it a bit different - Iā€™m totally fine with tattoos that have no meaning at all, being there for the comical or aesthetic effect, no problem.
But tattoos that actually had a meaning once, like, they were ā€œawardedā€ to you - pretty much like the Medal of Honor you mention - are a different thing to me, and thatā€™s sometimes the case especially with Maori tattoos. And several others I donā€™t have on my mind now :wink:

Adding to that, copycats just are not a nice thing to do. Letā€™s take a drastic example - someone gets a tattoo of his motherā€™s face, because she recently passed away and they had a troubled past and whatnot, and he decides to immortalize her on his skin. Would it be okay for you if someone would just say ā€œhey, that lady looks hot, I want that tooā€?

Itā€™s ink on skin, but for many, itā€™s not just ink on skin.

Similarly, I love the Sepik River scarification, and it was the main reason I got my scars, but I would never choose that specific pattern - I am not a ā€œcrocodile childā€, I didnā€™t do all the stuff that those scars were the final result of, and to me, it would feel like mocking those who did.

Thatā€™s non-existent. (No meaningā€¦for you, or meaning that you donā€™t resonate with, maybe.)

Perfectly okay! So as disliking one for doing so.

However, claiming a moral high-ground because of body mods are bit fishy.
I feel the same about tagging ā€˜territoriesā€™: I was at the slides before you, so you either follow my rules or go to swingā€¦

I also donā€™t see ANY problem AT ALL with not hiring people for certain jobs (those jobs they donā€™t apply generally anyways). Having some specific bod mods require one to have rather specific personality trades. SO AS some jobs. And if they donā€™t match, then not the eyeball tattoo, or the swastika on the palm is the reason - but symptom, thatā€™s different, huh?

IMHO perfectly okay! I am not the person who decides wether the context is right or nah.
Is it okay to exhibit Lenin? How about the Season of Glass album cover? How about Hotel Rooms by Sophie Calle (a bit lighter version, but still)? Or a work about Aokigaharaā€¦ how many feelings can that hurt?
I can find contexts that fits the subject. And the opposite as well, some might come up with a: But what ifā€¦?

Or a (nazi) swastika, for that matter. Or other symbols of nazism.
I know itā€™s considered a symbol of hate in Germany and thus prohibited, but would you consider it okay?

1 Like

Absolutely! Even more, Iā€™d encourage speaking about the swastika.
Itā€™s all about the context!

Go for it. You do you. Your tattoo on your skin, cannot hurt me or anyone else. Anyone has a right to get whatever tattoo they want. They just have to live with itā€¦ or black their arm out.

1 Like