The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

I couldn’t foley sound =(
I had to use whatever I found in the BBC archive. It is what it is.
The visual part is very Atilla-y. Now I’d know better, but I was proud of that for the first 3 days.

Yeah, true. I chose the word star-spawn mainly for the cthulhu reference :stuck_out_tongue:
And I think it’s more healthy if I think of myself (and everything else on earth and beyond) as a descendant of stars, rather than poop^^

I think
 if you saw your granddad frequently use that very axe, and have some vivid memories about him if you look at the axe, and inherited it and still think about it not as “your axe” but as “the axe you inherited from your granddad” - it still is granddad’s axe. Just my humble opinion, of course :wink:

Maybe a fitting story - as some here already know, I inherited the house I live in, and until recently, my beloved one and me lived in the upper floor while my dad lived downstairs. He died, and now the house completely belongs to us. We have to renovate the ground floor, and so, first, we took all the furniture and stuff out
 it was a bit less “my dad’s part of the house”. But I still thought a lot of him, when I was downstairs. I saw the spots on the floor where his chair stood, or the nicotine stains on the walls. Now, we’re a bit further on with the renovation, the floor is out, the wallpaper gone, we’ve got new windows and such. And when I go downstairs now, it starts to become “our part of the house”, or rather “our house”. I will always be grateful for my dad, because he bequested the house to us, but by getting the old and sad and sick parts away, it is now becoming our house. And I can think of the nice memories of my dad, and not the sad ones.

Sorry, bit derail-y, but it kinda matched the granddad’s axe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I try to be super open about mental health now, since I used to be really closed off about it, and that created a lot more issues. I feel like being open about it helps people know they aren’t alone. I know that seeing other people online talk about their experiences with things like depersonalization helped me a lot. You never know when someone is suffering, even if someone on this forum has the same issue, and is afraid to say anything.

Especially in the US, mental health has a real stigma that I’m hoping starts to fade in the coming decades. Being open about it hurts no one, only has the opportunity to help.

I’m an open book in general though. When I came out, I decided to not hide any part of myself. If someone had a question, I decided I would answer it. Feel like things are a lot healthier that way :man_shrugging: That’s why I don’t tend to hide my real identity much online, I try to be the same kind of person online as I am IRL.

3 Likes

The idea of eternal-nothingness doesn’t really scare me anymore, once I was presented a simple question

Do you remember anything from the 14 billion years before you? No, then why do you think you’ll remember anything after

I do find the idea of quantum consciousness, that potentially parts of your brain is connected to other brains via quantum entanglement, to form a bit of a subconscious “net” and if possible or real, does a trace survive after the point of origin is no longer part of the net

Cool idea, but no real evidence
Could explain some weird group psychology

1 Like

I think the concept of ĂŒmwelt does a better job on that.

I don’t claim it to be the best explanantiont th.

let me ask you this:

What exactly is you?
Let’s try a little thought experiment and assume you’re immortal.
If you cut of your finger you wouldn’t get the idea that you in your finger and if you cut off your arm you it would be absurd to think you in your arm and the rest of your body is just bones and meat. If you would loose all of your limbs, you still would be not in any of them. If you now keep cutting parts off you, on what point would you end up in one of those?
Your Brain right, but what happens if you start cutting small portions of your brain? In which brain part would you end up? Where are you hiding inside your body? Where is your control room from which you command this skin bag filled with bones, organs and meat?

Reminds me of the question in the manga Ajin where some (mutant) humans can regenerate from injuries, and even death. The main villain asks a question that if you chop off your head for example, and a new one grows back - is that head still you? or is it a new version of you. the old head is right there, with all its memories and such. The protagonist struggles with not “dying” the entire time, where others use it strategically.

Was a good question, but in a different setting where regeneration was a real thing :wink:

1 Like

You actually already gone because everything what you was on the day you was born is replaced. It’s like the ship of Theseus paradox.

I like the idea with the “connected” brains like a hive mind, to bad we can’t use it consciously. That would be so awesome, just imagine we would be aware of this. No more wars, no more murder, no more unequal treatment, no more jealousy and the list goes on and on.

I can re-iterate my comment in different words.

“You” (the self, especially if it’s conscious) can be viewed form an anxious ontological perspective as well as from its utilitarian aspects.

However, the function can be questioned (but hardly denied) if the ‘Self’ is not conscious. An anxious component of a body can be re-animated;
utilised in another anatomical architecture.

I could argue your point by saying the transplanted organ is not conscious within itself and reflect on the distributed agency of the “mind” that is generally accepted as the software of the self, but not this time.

Carrying on with your thought:
Sandpile paradox, that you project to a biological organ.
The answer is surprising: You would be shocked- to say the least knowing what portions of the brain can be de-activated without killing the organism. :monkey:
The body keeps functioning, the ‘self’ - the personality distorts heavily.

Define “you”!
unnamed

Equipotentiality is not my research area, though. I’m more familiar with paper cut-out.
Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 22.34.04

No freedom of choice neither individuality, nor liberty

1 Like

Derailing again but just wanted to mention;

On the Dangerous Discord we do little bi-weekly art challenges. Whatever medium you like, can be a doodle or a masterpiece, doesn’t matter - just a bit of fun. You’re all welcome to join in of course! Next topic will be announced tomorrow in the #art channel, the current theme is ‘non-euclidean creature/animal’

Thought I’d throw out an invitation here :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Interesting question. Most people think of themselves as a thing. A bag of meat for example. Or a brain. Or a soul. Or any other thing. I prefer to think of myself as a process. One that has been started and which will inevitably be stopped. The meat is just the theater that the process plays out in.

1 Like

Family Guy said it best: he’s kind of alive-o :slight_smile:

I’m sure it’s been said somewhere but is there any particular reason the flexMT is in the lab and flexMN is just regular

what do you mean?

because i fixed it

2 Likes

Lmao so do all non wedge flexes go in the lab?

well really its about products that i’m just still not 100% about
 and the large flexies with big T5577 discs and the LEDs were definitely in that camp
 especially after the LED debacle
 but they will eventually migrate out of the lab to the normal implant category soon enough I think.

1 Like

IMPOSSIBLE

“You” would not end up anywhere, “You” are not a single entity hiding in your brain moving from lobe to lobe, dodging the scalpel.
tenor (71)

after the fatal cut cuasing death “you” would simply cease to exist.

What was once alive, is now dead, gone, forever
never to exist again

Your Atoms will be recycled :recycle: and may become a part of many living things in the future but “you” are not that living thing , nor are you the dinosaurs :sauropod: :t_rex: that previously “owned” the atoms :atom_symbol: currently inside you.
if you believe in dinosaurs that is.

images - 2021-01-21T153722.553
Your body is very nearly 100% new from 7 years ago. but “you” are still “you”
until “you” die. :skull:

Kind of like grandads axe :axe: analogy again. But when he dies, the axe is no longer “his” because “he” no longer exists.

even though I liked @Coma philosophical view on it.

2 Likes

Unless the universe has a large enough (10^googleplex meter?) diameter.
And the same density as the observable universe.
Then you run out of quantum states and
giphy (7)