The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

I particularly enjoy the exponential approach.
This allows you to have a couple of misreads without any inconvenience of a delay, but punishes way more a brute force attempt.

The trick isā€¦ You donā€™t need all the possibilities.
Some of these 7 bytes are usually set based on vendor and/or system, and the rest will also be ā€œrandomizedā€ so you can avoid certain combinations which we wonā€™t see in commercial use cards.
Therefore you can just dictionary it to shave off a lot of time out of that.

Itā€™s funny to think that the ā€œhigherā€ the security standards goā€¦ the safer passwords like aaaa become. because those combinations are getting pruned from the dictionaries and bruteforce attacks.

Oh, and my favourite vector of attack if I have access to the wires, but am short on timeā€¦ is the ā€œtickleā€ approach. where you basically short the fuck out of the system and hope that will get you in. (Itā€™s not as effective as throwing the safe in the ground, but surprisingly close to that!)

1 Like

Itā€™s not always a viable approach, but nothing is more satisfying to me than attacking a poorly reinforced doorframe, and flexing it till the latch clears

Itā€™s like mechanical sarcasm, and itā€™s satisfying on an almost spiritual level lol

indeed.
yet always a fun approach! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Does anyone have the YubiKey with fidesmo?
How is it? Should I get one?

I believe itā€™s a very different chip than the Apex (some infeon thing afaik, but not sure), so Iā€™m not sure it will run all the VivoKey applets, but it seems kinda interestingā€¦ doesnā€™t seem like anyone actually bought one though, all I found was someone complaining thereā€™s no PIV installed/enabled.

Realized that I havenā€™t posted any updates in a bit, thought Iā€™d throw one on here (Pilgrimsmaster gets what he wants :eyeroll: :wink: ). This should be a good halfway update.

I know that a lot of people are just going to scroll on past this, and no worries! Just throwing this into the void for anyone who is interested. My last post got a good amount of likes, so I guess some were interested? :man_shrugging: Itā€™ll be a longer format, with some more pretty Pixel 4a pictures to look at. Iā€™ll put the rest of it under an expansion thingy so it doesnā€™t clog up the thread. Warning: slight profanity

Update 2: SF and LA

Iā€™m currently in my hostel in LA, I got here last night.

For my first 2 days, San Francisco was absolutely amazing. The third not so much, and Iā€™ll get to that. The food was awesome (had proper Indian for the first time!), and the people in my hostel were great. I hung out with a different person each of the first two nights, and made some great friends. The hostel itself was fine, but it wasnā€™t air conditioned. The temp wasnā€™t too bad, although I get hot when I sleep, but the humidity was rough. Woke up sticky with sweat all 3 nights.

The public transport is awesome (:heart: muni), and the entire city was pretty walkable. I never once wanted to have a vehicle with me.

Day 1: Burger time
The first night I didnā€™t do much except get In & Out. It was decent, especially for the money. Nothing groundbreaking, though.

Day 2: Alcatraz and the pier

Overall, Iā€™d give Alcatraz an 8/10. It was really interesting as a history buff, and the island and the views from the ferry were beautiful. However, it was incredibly guided inside of the cellhouse, and felt more like a touched-up museum exhibit than a historical site. You were free to explore the island (the parts that werenā€™t off limits), but inside of the cellhouse you had to use an audio tour, and walk along with the audio. So, everything was in lanes with markers everywhere.

Sidenote: I got sunburned as hell that day, likely mostly from Alcatraz. Even though it was windy and a bit chilly, I should have known better. The tops of my ears are still sore. Be safe, kids.

That same day I tried clam chowder in a bread bowl from Boudin Bakery. Really good. Clam chowder isnā€™t my favorite dish, but it was really nice on a windy day. The entire pier area is neat, with Pier 39 feeling like a year-round state fair.

That night, I looked up the steepest segment of road, and walked there.

Pretty damn steep.

Day 3: Golden Gate and Insanity

Golden Gate day! It was a gorgeous day for this, but sadly my feet were already wrecked from the last day. Had a ton of walking to do.

It looked straight out of a film.

At about the point of this photo, my body violently remembered that Iā€™m afraid of heights. However, I pushed on, and walked to the end and back.

The views were absolutely gorgeous, and it fulfilled a lifelong dream of mine. I also saw the full pacific for the first time. 10/10

After golden gate, I decided to check out Chinatown. This is where the sudden breakdown in fun happened. While walking to a lovely matcha cafe, I was passed by a large, very ripped black man, fully nude. I honestly questioned if I was going insane, as it looked like almost no one else noticed.

I got a delicious matcha frappe though :man_shrugging:

After this, I went back to my hostel, where I discovered that the bottom bunk in my bed was now taken up by a very grumpy 75 year-old diabetic, instead of the chill 19 year-old who I had made friends with the day before. He ranted about the hostel for a bit, and then another old man came in and got in one of the other beds, not saying a word to anyone else in the room. He then began speaking nonsense to himself, and would continue to do so throughout the day.

I then tried to get pizza. I wonā€™t go into detail on this one, but it was awful pizza, I missed my bus due to my phones GPS messing up, and it was an overall disaster.

While walking back to my hostel, a man walked towards me and yelled ā€œyou better step the fuck back, right nowā€. When I did as instructed, he then yelled ā€œpiss on the wallā€. I can only assume he was either on drugs or very mentally ill. Regardless, I got back to my hostel, and had the worst nights sleep Iā€™ve ever had. The guy who was talking to himself was asleep and snoring loudly, and it took me 2 hours to fall asleep. I had to be up at 6:30am for my train. The diabetic then came in at like 1am, struggled with the lock for 5 minutes (waking everyone up), then flicked on the lights as he came in. Then he went to go to sleep, and kept making what can only be described as ā€˜old man noisesā€™ loud enough that I couldnā€™t sleep. I tried for 2 hours, and then decided to just stay up.

The way to LA was uneventful, just a nice train ride. I took BART to Oakland as part of my trip (got on a bus there to take me to the train station). BART was neat, but quite filthy and run-down.

Day 1:
My first night in LA was terrible. Full of harassment by homeless people, and the state of the LA subway is a mess. My hostel is in a bit of a rough spot, and at times, I didnā€™t feel safe in the walk from the subway stop to the hostel.

Upon walking in, I was met with some trash on the table, and one of the beds being unmade. I assumed this meant there was another person here, but in the last day, I havenā€™t seen them. Wondered if they already checked out, but the cleaning lady came and cleaned the bathroom. Left the bed untouched. Idk. The room is air conditioned well though, so I slept well.
Day 2:
I first grabbed lunch from Shake Shack next door, and WOW theyā€™re good. I got a SmokeShack, highly recommended.

I then went to Hollywood via the subway. I know itā€™s super touristy, but I figured I needed to tick that box.

I saw the walk of fame, the Chinese Theatre, and did one of those tours. It was a little shitty, but kind of what I was looking for. As mentioned, I love tourist trap type stuff, and this filled that role nicely. I donā€™t have a ton of photos of LA, so Iā€™ll put the two decent ones Iā€™ve got so far.

So far, I would say that I havenā€™t really enjoyed LA, but I think itā€™s mainly because I donā€™t have a car. Everywhere Iā€™ve been recommended is over an hour each way by public transit, and the safety on a lot of the walking routes isnā€™t great. LA is massive, but a lot of that is due to its physical size (rather than density).

I would feel much safer in LA if I could get from point A to point B without walking. I would just uber everywhere, but itā€™s so damn expensive out here.

Either way, I leave morning after next for Portland, and thatā€™s a 36 hour train ride. Iā€™ll probably post my next update on the train back from Seattle, so they arenā€™t too frequent.

9 Likes

This made me laugh so hard! Welcome to SF! Hopefully Portland goes better for you!

2 Likes

Ironically was thinking about ya on my drive home, like ā€œDomo hasnā€™t updated on his travels hope heā€™s having a good timeā€ :smile:
fucking gorgeous pics mate keep em coming (when you feel like it ofc)

3 Likes

Almost word for word what I was thinking about 2 hours ago.

Great update, and the stuff you didnā€™t enjoy you will always remember and look back and laugh at it.

Those experiences are as important as the ā€œgoodā€ ones

All those memories make the storiesā€¦

3 Likes

Those pictures are amazing. They really get my wanderlust going. Iā€™ve been thinking about getting a hitch for my car and building one of those tear drop trailers for it. Then I would drive from coast to coast and just stay in national and state parks.

Keep the updates coming. I want to see more awesome pictures!

2 Likes

Thanks, and I will! Iā€™ve been really happy with some of the pictures Iā€™ve taken so far, considering that Iā€™ve just got my phone with me, and limited time to frame a lot of these (I donā€™t like to block sidewalks or anything, so Iā€™m moving for a lot of them).

Iā€™m not happy with most of my LA ones, including the Chinese theater one I posted. Iā€™ve been a little more worried about whipping my phone out here on random streets (although Iā€™m sure Iā€™m being too worried). Hopefully I can get some good ones before I leave.

The train on Saturday up to Portland is supposed to be crazy beautiful, Iā€™ll try to take a lot during that as well. Hoping I get a window seat. Not sure what Iā€™m doing tomorrow, thinking maybe Santa Monica Pier.

1 Like

You totally should! Thatā€™d be such a fun journey. I had thought about trying to do some national park stuff on this trip, but it didnā€™t work out logistically (plus I have very little camping experience, doing it like this first time is a recipe for disaster). I still want to see the redwoods + Yosemite in-person, but thatā€™ll have to wait for another trip haha

I donā€™t know the exact route that the train takes, but having driven between LA and Portland both on the coast (Highway 101) and down I-5 I am sure there will be memorable parts.

Unfortunately I live on the coast about 90 miles from Portland and we have an extreme heat advisory (113F in Portland on Sunday) so I am afraid I wonā€™t come visit. (Itā€™s going to be in the 90F range here, I like 60 or less myself).

So, be safe and stay hydrated. Hopefully your stay in Portland is less eventful in a bad way (and more eventful in a good way)

1 Like

Agreed. The Oregon Coast is some of the most beautiful coastline in the country

1 Like

Mostly the reason I logged in here now! XD

Totally agree!!

And we sure are! ^^

4 Likes

Cleaning up kiddo drawings and paper mess and found these gemsā€¦

15 Likes

Itā€™s Saturday night! Time to get cleaned up do a little prep and see if I can get one of these things in the other!

Iā€™ll make a topic and post updates later tonight or tomorrow. Wish me luck!

6 Likes

:unicorn_good_luck:
:four_leaf_clover:
:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t cut your thumb off and put it in the box if I were you. :unicorn_shock_surprise:

3 Likes

Instructions unclear, removed finger and sent to installer with the chip.

2 Likes

Man, after the magnet demo I really hoped the answer is a magnet implant HAHAHA

1 Like