The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

My main thing with smart watches in general is I try not to use them for anything too convenient like the type of convenient Iā€™d be pissed to not have (sending text, answering calls. I tend to forget to charge them/bring them altogether so simple telling time and music control/displaying notifs is all I need

2 Likes

I have gotten used to the size, but coming from not wearing a watch to wearing a Pebble to a Frontier was a big jump. I think the biggest thing I like about the Frontier is the integration with Samsung Health if you have a Samsung phone. Other than that I use it as a watch and a notifications device mostly, so the Pine or Pebble were great for that.

1 Like

Iā€™m always attracted to timepieces, but sadly I canā€™t wear a watch. I quit buying them because they invariably end up in a box somewhere.

2 Likes

I love having a variety of time keeping apparatus. My most recent favorite is a TI-3510 calculator which happens to have a clock function and a gas plasma display.

this one you link to was a beautiful example

I saw this Nixie Tube watch a couple of months ago

looks pretty sexy

3 Likes

Yeah I love that watch. And so useful! Nothing beats the Badley timepiece to discreetly know how much longer you have to endure a boring meeting. But I havenā€™t worn a watch for so long I just hate something hanging on my wrist now. Same as shoes: wearing them for more than 2 hours has become torture to me.

I solved the boring meeting problem by changing job :slight_smile: As for the time telling function, I solved it by looking at the clock on the nearest wall, asking the time if thereā€™s no clock around - which, I discovered, is incredibly rare - or simply relying on dead reckoning and leaving a bit earlier to be sure to be on time.

I own this Numitron Watch in silver from the same guy. You can clearly see that the watches are made by hand, the quality is pretty good too. The one I got is rather big though, only really wearable by people with bigger wrists. It got a magnetic switch to activate the accelerometer to wake the watch, I use my xG3 to switch it on and off :rofl:

1 Like

I currently have two watches.

An 1894 Elgin BW Raymond in a salesman case (front and back are crystal so you can tell the time and watch the mechanism without opening it up). That is on a hand made Albert chain with an 1894 Morgan silver dollar as a fob at the other end. The chain is alternate lapis lazuli and agate beads. (And a pocket watch might be a good solution for you @anon3825968)

The other is a Xiaomi Mi Band 6. I upgraded from a Mi Band 3. This measures pulse, steps and blood oxygen levels, it has other features (that I donā€™t use much).

Unfortunately, no.

Watches - like keys, credit cards, cash, spectacles, clothes - are part of this cohort of crap that we modern humans have to herd, take care of, buy, replace, remember to take with us. Iā€™m trying to ā€œclear the airā€ around me, so to speak. I want less crap. I want to get out of the house as I am and stay more or less functional in society.

Some things I canā€™t do without. Glasses for example (and several pairs too nowā€¦ The minute an active adaptive focal lens implant comes up on the market, Iā€™m signing up). Clothes when itā€™s too cold - and the minimum required to avoid getting arrested for indecent exposure when it isnā€™t. But shoes arenā€™t necessary. Keys arenā€™t either (thatā€™s what drew me to implants in the first place). Watches arenā€™t.

2 Likes

I saw that and thought it would be great for somebody with a mag implant :magnet_xg3:

Thatā€™s really awesome that someone actually has both of them :watch: :magnet_xg3:

1 Like

I have 4 Nixie tubes I need to make into a clock but itā€™s been stuck in limbo for ever

Person gifted me the tubes and never gave me any follow up info to get/make the clock base

Replying to myself here, butā€¦ I just found this:

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/eye-institute/lasik/procedures/crystalens-iol.aspx

Hmm, now thatā€™s pretty damn interesting.

Sorry, I was assuming from this that you didnā€™t want a wrist watchā€¦ Not that you didnā€™t want a watch.

Personally I like having older less accurate time pieces. Back when time was more local and less universal people were less worried about a few minutes here or there.

Both really :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got a bunch of these and am making clocks with them for fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are they VFD displays? I love the blue/greenish hue they give of :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

yeah, very interesting, you are less mentally stable than I thought you were ā€œbubbaā€

:vault_boy_fallout:

I never made no such claim.

Oh, I know, it was purely my assumption.

Just disappointing for me, I am normally a pretty good judge of character :rofl: