The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Ok, next time Iā€™ll tell it like it isā€¦ :laughing:

Obviously you are not the only oneā€¦ someone paid $6,500 for this knife.

https://www.kdmeteorites.com/BRecattoMeteoriteIvoryFossilKnife.html

I need to find the auction listing of a knife my friend made, forged from an A10 gau-8 barrel

8 Likes

Also not wrong :rofl:

I have some really small ones here, and I absolutely love them - they are aesthetic, and thinking about how far they traveled and all thatā€¦ I think itā€™s amazing.
I would really love some beautiful and unusual jewelry made out of meteorites, for I like those ā€œWidmanstƤtten patternsā€, but unfortunately those meteorites contain large amounts of nickelā€¦ so I couldnā€™t wear it on my skin directly. Otherwise, Iā€™d really like to have a nice, tight collar made out of meteorite :star_struck:

And yep, a nice obsidian blade (without a mammoth handle, I thinkā€¦) is on my nice-to-have-once-list as well :wink:

2 Likes

But honey, you yourself are made of star-stuff! Why would you feel the need to defile your star body with petty bits of space rocks? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:slight_smile:
Yeah, I knowā€¦ and, you may smile about that, but that thought actually makes me feel connected to everything that exists, and thatā€™s a really nice feeling sometimes :wink:

Well, unless I want to run around naked, I defile my star body with stuff that is much less interesting than space rocks :wink: Cotton and synthetics, some titanium, a bit of makeup and several care productsā€¦ but, following your theory, this is all made of star-stuff as well! :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldnā€™t mind personally - at least weather allowing. Iā€™m not too keen on getting booked as a pervo though. But by all means, be my guest :slight_smile:

If I ever manage to get up to the finnish woods, Iā€™ll definitely think about that :wink:
But, I totally hate to feel cold, soā€¦

might prevent me from running around naked in scandinavia :stuck_out_tongue:

:unicorn_pfffftttt:

The problem in Scandinavia is, when the weather is nice enough to run around stark-naked in the woods, the mosquitoes will take care of you. And then youā€™ll wish you had full-body clothes on.

But my house has mosquito nets - just thought Iā€™d mention it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why donā€™t you slap a DRO on it? Then you could switch ESU (European Silliness Units) at will.

Ah Yess! Feels good! :rofl:
Seriously though Rosco, think about the DRO. You could even build your own if you have the time.

Strangely, Iā€™ve been wanting to build my own pistols for awhile. Double barreled percussion and take my time to get them incredibly nice. The inspiration is a description of a pair of pistols like that in one of the Horatio Hornblower books that I read (and re re re read). Never really shook the idea.

But it has to wait until I can get a decent shop together. I have all the tools to do it at work, but the large corporate organization would shit itself if I made anything remotely fire arm related there.

I vaguely remember a comment that ā€œThe midge was put on this earth to teach the mosquito how to do it properly.ā€

ā€œItā€ presumably being the act of eating people alive.

Why would I pay silly money to install an electrically powered readout when I have perfectly fine natural-light-powered vernier scales? :slight_smile:

Actually I have a metric conversion kit from Hardinge in the Netherlands that I need to install. Itā€™s just that standard doesnā€™t bother me enough to prompt me to install it.

You know what? I started out with digital everything - Super-expensive Mitutoyo calipers, digital machines (not mine)ā€¦ the whole shebang. In the end, I prefer verniers. Itā€™s simple and I relate to the reading better. It ā€œspeaksā€ to me. I know, itā€™s stupid and it makes no sense. But I like it better. Iā€™ll admit presbyotia doesnā€™t make it terribly convenient if I misplace my reading glasses though :slight_smile:

I even have motors in that mill for the X and Y axes that I can hook a programmable 2D routing computer to. But somehow I never seem to need it: for simple curves, I simply work the handles by hand simultaneously and fine-tune the final curve with files - which is very quick and very precise when youā€™re a gunsmith used to work primarily with files. Itā€™s quicker than programming the damn thing, taking the origins - then adjusting and cross-filing the shape in the end anyway.

I had an interesting thought today while dealing with a metric fastener. Given that the U.S. is mostly using imperial units, and the global world is mostly metric, how often are imperial units found ā€œin the wildā€ in places like the EU or Australia?

I would assume that metrification happened sometime after the 60ā€™s, so would classic cars and / or older machinery still be around that use imperial units?

Also, what about sockets? Iā€™ve got 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" drive sockets in metric sizes, but Iā€™ve never seen or heard of a socket with a metric drive size. Do Metric countries still use imperial sized socket drives?

Makes me wonder.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Britain had ever completed going metric. It certainly hadnā€™t by 2000.

But to confuse things even more a British pint is 20 fl oz, or 568ml while an American pint is 16 FL oz, or 473ml.

If youā€™re eagle eyed you will even see that one imperial fluid ounce is 0.961 US fluid ounce.

I was curious, so I looked on amazon.de for a socket wrench.

In the description, it said ā€œAntrieb: 6,3 mm / 1/4 Zollā€ or ā€œDrive: 6.3 mm / 1/4 inā€. So I guess itā€™s still the same sizes, round imperial values, but sometimes described as a partial, unrounded metric values.

1 Like

Yep, but nobody cares what is on that end, it is only when you grab a socket to tighten or loosen a nut, to find out is is some shitty fraction of a measurement and exclaim.

ā€œFucken Americansā€

Then you go and find the ā€œjust I case I need it for something socketā€

Or

Calculate 3/18th of some shit into something logical and simple

Or

Find something pretty close and hope you donā€™t strip it

azMvb0j_460swp

3 Likes

Yeah so weā€™re still not 100% metric. Itā€™s funny because some places you buy 2l of milk others you buy 4pints now there close in size but there not the same. People get confused :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The UK is fully metric and has been for a long long time in many scientific and engineering fields, even before the official metrication program was complete - including, notably, the currency, something the US got right straightaway. So thereā€¦

Nowadays, modern Brits uses imperial pretty much only for road signs - which were deemed too costly to replace so they stayed - and customary use in everyday language (i.e. you go for a pint, but you officially buy 500 ml of milk at the store). Pretty much exactly the way I use standard that you guys give me so much flak for :slight_smile:

I dunno @anon3825968 ā€¦ dev should know heā€™s Brit and even when I was there in 2018 for a few months I noticed odd imperial usage here and there that hung around like a vestigial appendageā€¦ trains using miles and stores having oz measurements for certain things that were definitely not American imports.