Okay, so, I do have a couple of issues with what @Eriequiet says. Letās remove the emotion from this discussion because itās clearly emotionally charged. Letās just look at the logical arguments. Any society is founded on an agreed set of unspoken rules. There are unspoken rules, and certain expectations you could reasonably have. As to where that line is drawn depends on the society.
No, I donāt think so, because that would limit bodily autonomy, but things are not black and white. I can imagine potential situations where it would be reasonable to expect someone to cover up particular tattoos, or to limit their exposure to society. Another option could be for that person to move to a different society if they choose to not abide by the unspoken rules of society. If they choose not to accept the unwritten rules, those are usually the cases that end up getting written into law, so that there is no dodging and worming around it.
Now, Eriequiet said that they are trained in lethal/non-lethal force and trauma first aid and carry a lot of tools. I donāt know about other countries, but in Australia, I would say the expectation is that you should never ever need to defend yourself. We outlawed guns when we had a mass shooting in the '90s, and so there is an unspoken expectation that nobody carries guns apart from gang members (who really only ever shoot each other) or the police who just about never use them. There is no need because our society is safer for having outlawed firearms. America is different, and I would imagine Iād be feeling fearful quite often over there because anybody could be carrying a firearm. The potential for danger is much higher. That is an unspoken expectation there, but because everybody most people in that society agree on that expectation it becomes accepted. I do not agree to that expectation, I do not sign up for that risk, and so I donāt think Iāll every travel to America.
If we look at road safety, the situation in say, Indonesia or Thailand is completely different. If someone on a moped or scooter crashes into you, you might get up, dust yourself off unless you have broken bones, and drive away. In America, most of Europe, Australia, or plenty of other countries, youād probably get arrested and charged for trying to flee the scene of an accident. Thereās paperwork involved, youāve got to exchange car insurance information, make sure you know everyoneās driverās licenses, file a form to the police, let them know if there were any injuries, they can clear debris off the road if there was any debris etc. Completely different unspoken rules, and yet both types of societies function, more or less. Vietname has some of the most fascinating footage clips on YouTube, with some older videos from India also being quite interesting. It looks like chaos, but the people there are used to it and to them it makes sense. I canāt imagine it would be anywhere near as safe, but they accept the risks every day.
If we look at the example of taking a vaccine, you might have an aversion to needles, perhaps a medical reaction to needles or vaccines or some other part of the process that makes it incredibly difficult. Iām sure if someone explained such a reason thereād be no issue. The unspoken rule in any country is that the vaccinated population gets vaccinated to help protect those who canāt be vaccinated.
āBecause freedomā as far as Iāve found does not fit into the unspoken rule in any way. The rules of most societies are founded on science, hard evidence and testing and provable facts. That is also an unspoken rule. Some societies also base their unspoken rules upon religious texts. When someone chooses to ignore the science, from those who usually know what they are talking about - in the case of vaccinations that would be medical professionals - then they are flatly ignoring that unspoken rule. The typical assumption in such cases would historically have been that such a person was not of sound mind. In the era of the internet, we are finding it can be more indicative of powerful people with a lot of influence manipulating fearful or gullible people with misinformation, either by accident or for malicious reasons. Trump is now a classic example of that, using his power to manipulate and divide a nation with misinformation.
You are right that we should not be accusing people or scapegoating, or labelling people as stupid. I think I was getting affected by the general tone of the messages I was reading, and I acknowledge that Iām better than that and should do better. I generally believe that free will doesnāt exist. I genuinely think we are simply consequences of the laws of physics. In that mentality, I donāt think anybody can really be found to be at fault for their actions. But that doesnāt mean we are free from responsibility. If we are aware that we can influence our own thought patterns and change our behaviour, then we have the responsibility to always be better, to both improve ourselves and improve things for the people around us. Those who choose not to be better, who wish to cause harm to the people around them, I believe need help, not hate.
~ Jamie