The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

Not to get too specific (cuz this is a biohacking forum after all) but the risks are very minimal with woman-on-woman action - for obvious reasons, while man-on-man with B-side action can lead to bleeding and contamination if one of the partners carries something. Or at least that’s my understanding. I may be wrong.

And yes, the Red Cross won’t accept blood donations if you’ve had manly B-side action, for that reason I believe. It’s been like that in all the countries I’ve lived in. But they won’t accept it if you’ve had piercings in the last 4 months either, which makes sense since those things can get infected and stay infected for a long time. What doesn’t make sense is that they conflate piercings and implants: implants close up, and once they’re good they’re good. But no, they didn’t want mine last time.

It was 12 months in the US as well, until 2020 when they changed it to 3 months.

I find it especially odd, given that in a lot of cases, gay men tend to be much more careful with testing than the general population. To be on PrEP, I had to be tested for both HIV and Hepatitis-B every 3 months at a minimum. I also had them run a full blood panel for any other STDs, since I was already paying for blood draws (they asked me at my appointment if I wanted to do run the extra tests).

I don’t know any of my straight peers who have been tested for STDs in their entire lives. Yes, their exposure risk for HIV in particular is lower, but other STDs are still prevalent.

As far as I know, they test all of the blood anyways, so I don’t really see the benefit.

At least it’s not the lifetime ban that it used to be, I guess. I’ve donated a few times, and it’s always a good feeling.

Sure that depends on the kind of stuff you do with the other lady :wink:
But yeah, that’s the “official” reason for this differentiation - pretty much like what Zwack said, they just assume some strange “normal” here. I know ladys who play with their menstrual blood, so I guess
 bleeding is a thing? :smile:

Yep, and that’s the problem I meant - STDs are, in general view, still only a thing for gay men. That leads to stupid discrimination of gay men and to a dangerous indifference towards STDs in the rest of the population.
To be honest, I know some straight guys who fuck around a lot, and they frequently get tested, but that’s definitely not usual.

Mmmkay
 I’m not sure I wanted to learn that today
 But thank you for perfecting my education.

Sorry :smile:

1 Like

1 Like

You get to decide if I count as a peer or not

But then again “straight” might be be a little too black and white

1 Like

200 (1)

1 Like

Lol I figured that might snap a few heads, I do enjoy breaking stereotypes

Gun guy, but people do tend to make some assumptions

2 Likes

Speak for yourself. As someone who lived in Britain for at least six months between 1980 and 1997 I have a lifetime ban from giving blood in the US.

cow-tongue

It makes a tiny bit more sense, given that prion diseases can be dormant for decades. I don’t know if they have similar cheap tests they can run for it. If they do, I don’t really see any reason why that requirement would still be in place.

Still sucks regardless.

1 Like

This reminds me, I did give blood once relatively soon after getting some genital piercings. It was a blood
drive through the Red Cross here in the US. I never considered the piercings as a reason for being turned away until I was answering the questionnaire. I answered the questionnaire truthfully, and I was within the specified window that was asked.

A nurse reviewed my chart and asked about the piercings. I told her the location of the piercings, when I had them done, and that a professional did it in a piercing studio. She allowed me to go ahead and donate. I don’t know if there was any limitations or additional tracking to the blood I donated, but they took it.

At some places they take your blood anyway and throw it away later. That way no one gets sent away with everyone noticing. If i recall correctly it was done to protect people from rumours about HIV and stuff.

That makes sense. I had never really thought about it before. I just donated and went in my way.

Here you have to make an appointment with the Red Cross online. The process can only be completed if you fill out the self-assessment form successfully, and only for an appointment within 24 hours. So they don’t throw anything away, which is just as well because - I kid you not - they offer a full meal buffet to regain your lost energy after donating. Amazing! I enjoy going there just because I have me a nice lunch each time :slight_smile: And unlike other countries’ Red Cross chapters, you can donate every 2 months here.

1 Like

I donate at the hospital I work at.

We get a cookie and free blood products if ever needed (knocks on wood)

1 Like

So, blood sausage? Or is it a special for vampires?

1 Like

Only the mortician gets those.

More like if I come in needing mass infusion of blood, they won’t charge me $1500 a unit.

If I didn’t know already, I’d guess that you live in the Land of the Fee, Home of the Grave.

2 Likes

Yeah, sure do, who needs socialized medicine?