The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Heā€™s used to it. His first experience of internet video probably was RealPlayer. If you want to relive that, BackBlaze is fantastic I must sayā€¦

3 Likes

If you clip your nails wrong, youā€™ll hate yourself so much.

1 Like

Yes, indeed, I remember Real player.

Unless you count vt100 terminal code animationsā€¦ Or the fact that my earliest exposure to the internet was pre www.

Unfortunately, Kuchode isnā€™t wrong there.

The media coverage IS blowing this out of proportion. and a lot.
Because thatā€™s what modern media does best: Sensationalist clickbait headlines.

So the situation is not as bad as media points out, that is for sure.
And this undermines the media credibility and makes it so that so many people will see truth in a statement such as the one you highlighted.

The tricky bit isā€¦
The fact that covid isnā€™t as bad as the media makes it seemā€¦ does not mean it is not a bad/serious thing.
Covid IS serious as fuck.

But most of us do suffer from anticipation and confirmation bias, which makes it so that the veracity of the first statement we read/hear from an individual will most often carry over into the next statement even when it should not.

(as a good example, I bet that until the previous paragraph you were most likely to assume I would be defending his point just because I claimed his literal statement is actually correct)

the dangerous bit here is that a statement such as

has actually 2 statements in it.
The first one is true. Media is making things worst.
The second one is a implied statement: ā€œif covid isnā€™t as serious, then we donā€™t need to worry about itā€
And that second statement is falseā€¦ but by our bias, itā€™s so much easier to fall into the pitfall of agreeing with it once we agreed with the first one.

And to help make things worst, most countries where we are having this effect stronger are the mainly dualistic cultures (a good example is the American Way where you have a strong belief that things are either ā€œGood or Badā€, ā€œright or wrongā€, etcā€¦)
Because that misleads most people into agreeing that ā€œif something is wrong, then itā€™s opposite must be rightā€.

(this thinking axiom has been hammered down on most mid-to-western civilizations since the dark ages where the whole ā€œgod vs devilā€ thing became a building block for our politics and societal order)

5 Likes

Bingo,

I agree with pretty much everything you said

The polarization of society like we talked about before

There are more than 2 sides most things, and a whole spectrum in the middle,

3 Likes

You should stop that talk right now old-timer, else some asswipe from the Discord sideshow will call you a boomer soon.

2 Likes

I thought only Boomers used the term ā€œBoomerā€ā€¦ :thinking: :yum:

Totally agree there!
Butā€¦ itā€™s easier to live in a dualist worldā€¦ :roll_eyes:
Not my jam, but totally get why itā€™s such a popular concept. :sleepy:

Now, on a cheerier noteā€¦
would you say the expression ā€œnot my Jamā€ talks about:
A) music
B) food
C) who cares? youā€™re obviously hungry right now.
:thinking:

Itā€™s changed meaning apparently: it seems to be used as an insult by younger generations to those who speak of a past they donā€™t know and dismiss them.

I thought that word was fogey.

I ainā€™t changing so close to the end :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What a peaceful 8 months it has been

Then you come back with that

Goodbye

Well, at least you kept the message up by reposting a screenshot.

I guess bye lurker.

Well heā€™s right: I am a cunt. But at least I speak the truth even when it hurts, and I donā€™t do it behind peopleā€™s back.

Iā€™d rather be a truthful cunt than a suave bullshit artist.

5 Likes

Ha! My wife is a Boomer, I am Gen-X.

Not that those labels actually mean much. I probably have more in common with the tail end boomers than the other end of Gen-X.

When you consider that the Sex Pistols were all Baby Boomers You have to wonder what these whippersnappers are thinking.

:unicorn_drunkin_dancing:

Iā€™m early gen X too, but my siblings were boomers. I was exposed to a lot of their teenage stuff when I was a kid.

It doesnā€™t matter what generation you are. What matters is whether youā€™ve managed to turn into a decent person.

3 Likes

ok, lets talk about DHL and Import Taxes

I have a parcel from DT Comming. today DHL Calld me, i missed the call because on the highway, i calld them back, they wanted to call me ack an so on.

in the end i got someone on the phone after telephoneterror for some time.

They said there is a luggage piece comming to me, i sait what?
the repeated them self - i said what fucking luggage.

they said a parcel from m swanson declared as luggage is here and they want to know what kind of luggage is that.

i was like wtf. thats not luggage, thats a parcel comming to me.

they were oh, its wrongly declared then - i said i dont know,

they said they need invoices and a screenshot or something of the payment.

that was the point where i thought wtf. im not gonna send you any detail about the payment, said ok, i will try to send you some stuff and hang up.

@mdanger creates this amazoig invoices
olsen-twins-thank-you
( they come with the DHL tracking number mail and all the waybill docs!)

so i sent them the invoice.

i got a reply minutes later that i should send them documents like
Minutes later I got the mail that I should send them the documents as discussed over the phone.

I thought so no wtf, I still give them no payment details, and just sent out the same invoice again and attached the shipping labels.

About 30 minutes came the answer that that was not enough, so I sent everything again and said, as discussed over the phone, I sent the documents

40 min later again
You still havenā€™t sent a proof of payment

I answered with

guess what

with the same two documents from before.

Rejection again

Re-sent, with the note

as discussed over the phone

and baaaaam, 5 hours later the answer:

grafik

i have to pay about 30ā‚¬ online and they will forward the parcel.

everything worked without the payment records they wanted in the beginning, must have gotten really annoyed by that conversation with me.

What do we learn from this?

Dont give DHL Data they dont need - in the end that will just make everything more expensive :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

How does everyone else value their time?

I currently pay $4.75 a day for parking when I work, or $95 a month.

If I paid $7.70 a day, I would save 30 minutes of walking time daily.

Am I crazy that I feel the time saved might be worth it?

3 Likes

Depends how much or how little time you have I suppose

1 Like

If your time is worth more than $6/hr then definitely, but if you really enjoy the walk then donā€™t

1 Like

25 min drive to and back from work. Close to 40 if I have to drop or pick my daughter up.