The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Thanks for clarifying thatā€¦ sigh. I seriously thought Rosco was talking about actual snow here - maybe all those images of him marching barefooted through the finnish snowlands that burned into my mind were a bit too present :rofl:

5 Likes

Perhaps not the best term to use with so many non native speakers on here.

Amazingly, I have no experience with illegal drugs.

But then Oregon has decriminalized possession of small quantities of all drugs. USnews article. Yet more legislation that doesnā€™t impact me.

Sorry I thought it was obvious. And I didnā€™t want to be too explicit. Yet reflecting back, it was definitely the wrong venue to ask that question regardless. So I zapped my posts.

FWIW I donā€™t do illegal drugs - including that particular one. This is something else. I was just curious.

3 Likes

While staying in London in 2018 for the accelerator program VivoKey was accepted to, we were in this place we found on Airbnb and moved a trunk in the living room to make room for kid activities and underneath was a small glass vial with some white powder and some white crystal and looking rocks as well. Luckily we found it before the kids did, tossed it in the trash. Crazy.

3 Likes

I think it is safe to say that nobody on this forum partakes in any illegal activities. If they did I am sure that they would be smart enough not to post about it.

3 Likes

They say most people commit 2-3 felonies a day without realizing it, and knowing a few examplesā€¦ I tend to believe the soundbyte in principle

1 Like

I meant deliberate criminal activity rather than most of the examples of dubious felonies that I could find (like getting lost in a forest on a snowmobile, or carrying a permanent marker)

1 Like

Sharing Netflix or similar passwords, per the night circuit court of appeals eye roll

1 Like

Malarky!
I doubt the honesty of anyone who claims to commit less than a dozen felonies on a daily basis!! :pensive:

Completely legal in germany, same as getting a new free trial month every month

And that is the thing, a lot of the examples I found were overly restrictive American laws.

There are some really dumb ones though like Millcreek Canyon Utah where it is illegal to own an unleashed dog on even numbered days. Or Joliet Illinois where they actually have a law prescribing exactly how the city name should be pronounced.

And yet the stuff in my pockets, which is not only legalā€¦ but nobody would batt an eye at

Would likely end with me in jail/prison in Europe

Sounds pretty restrictive to me

The stuff you have in your pockets, would you need in Europe?

ā€œNEEDINGā€ to carry stuff with you now, sounds more restrictive to me.

You mean guns?
Guns are legal here in germany, we donā€™t sell ā€˜em at walmart thoā€™.
You need proper certification and reasons to own a gun, e.g. be a hunter, join a shooting club etc.

Switzerland has lots of guns, but mostly well trained ex-army.
Proper gun control isnā€™t restrictive, it prevents deaths.

3 Likes

Never even went into guns, weā€™ve hashed that argument before and see no reason to reopen it

Pocket knife, pepper spray
And no pocket knife isnā€™t a weapon itā€™s a tool,
Itā€™s something I use a dozen times a day, but oh-much scary

The idea that any tool or act capable of defending yourself, is both legislated away and framed as something ā€œyou would never needā€ is deeply concerning

Everyone loves to use the ā€œneedā€ word
I donā€™t NEED to carry a flashlight, because the sun exists or I could depend on someone else to maintain street lights

Or I could just be prepared and take care of myself

3 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl: itā€™s true though, you can pick up a rifle while shopping for your groceries.

1 Like

Especially if you go to Beaver Oregon and shop at ā€œBeaver Firearms and Groceriesā€

Pocket knives arenā€™t illegal in the UK (or at least werenā€™t when I last lived there) they just had to be non locking and have blades no longer than 3". Pepper Spray is, but do you really ā€œneedā€ it.

The idea that you can kill someone because you think that you might be in danger from them seems equally alien to me. In the UK you can act in self defence but your response should be proportionate. For example, someone who was attacked, got away, and then drove at their attackers was found guilty because once they had safely got away they were no longer in danger and did not need to act in self defence.

I find the concept of curfews (common in the US) bizarre for a place that touts its freedom. But equally York still has an ordinance stating it is legal to shoot any Scotsman found within the city walls with a longbow.

We could argue about legalities for a long time, without ever agreeing where lines should be drawn.

I carry one daily in the uk. Under 3inches and non locking (like most normal pocket knifes). There is a specific exemption in the law for them, do reason needed or anything.

2 Likes

not yet.
the amount of ā€œknife deathsā€ is on the rise (according to media and billboards everywhere), so Iā€™m expecting some legislation change there in the near future.

Totally agree there.

Just for the sake of philosophy (while Iā€™m sat at an overly boring meeting):
The act of drawing lines is the issue.

Of course, there is no fair law without lines being drawn.

• If the lines are drawn too hastily then law wonā€™t be fair. so we need to take our time with it.
    butā€¦
  • If we take too long to draw them, the passage of time will make it so they might no longer be relevant. Therefore we will always have periods where whatever perfect lines you draw will inevitably be no longer relevant.

Another Point to consider is locallization.

• A law which matters in one town might not matter in another, or either be the opposite of what a third place needsā€¦

Of course the longbow example is blatant and comical. But we can find dozens and dozens of other examplesā€¦

One of my favourites isā€¦ until a very few years ago, in Brazilian law, if after marriage you find out your wife was not virgin, or even courted someone else before meeting you, you could hand her back to her father and he would need to pay you a fine.

This is a perfect example for both points above because not only it sounds blatantly wrong as a law for most of us (hopefully all)ā€¦ but that same law (or worst, sometimes with death penalty by torture) still exists in many countries.

Soā€¦ yeah, making laws suxā€¦ :persevere:

There are two other exemptions in the same laws, and I have been known to, legally, carry a three and a half inch, non folding blade. Not only that but I openly carry it in a visible location.

I havenā€™t yet become a Sikh so I donā€™t rely on the religious exemption, but I carry a Sgian Dubh as part of national dress. I know that they make some that consist of just a handle, a sheaf, and just enough ā€œbladeā€ to keep the two together, but I have never had one of those.