The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

Yall are gonna make Amal have a field day. He already has a thing about testing bracelets.

3 Likes

Alright, so preface I only watched 3 minutes of that video. That being said, 100uW is only useful for like 2 applications, and we happen to be one of them. My real concern is less the viability of the tech and more the commercial availability

Yep I agree @Satur9 I just thought it was funny that I finished watching that video only around 20minutes befor Pilgrimsmaster posted

1 Like

Spooky, :ghost: get out of my head Rhys :wink:

1 Like

100uW 
 yeah I think I got more power from my subdermal solar panel experiment, and that wasn’t even nominal conditions. Still, there is something interesting about a power source that constantly supplies 100uW day or night for years and years. Tritium beta-voltaic batteries decline “relatively” rapidly over a 12-15 year life.

New Yubikeys have NFC :smirk:

2 Likes

Is there a benefit to using Yubikey over waiting for the Apex line?

If I understand correct, the Apex line will do what the Yubikey can do.

You answered your own question:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

So the benefit is that is is currently released. I would still need to talk to Amal to see if it can be made into an implant. What do you think @Amal? I can go in on a 10 pack, or send you a 2 pack. https://www.yubico.com/product/yubikey-5c-nfc

Honestly that is all I want is to have an implanted, password keychain. My memory has been declining.

actually they have had nfc for a long time
 i’ve been toying with my yubikey neo (with nfc) for years
 the “new” part about their recent marketing campaign is that they changed the USB connector from type A to USB-C 
 fancy

It’d be a real pain in the ass to do that. I’ve taken apart several yubikey fobs and the giant rigid board and special anti-tamper resins they use make the whole thing bulky AF and not really able to be trimmed down at all. You’d have to put layers upon layers of stuff on it and you’d end up with a brick under your skin
 oh and the “special touch button” may or may not be permanently “pushed” since it is a capacitance sensor
 no idea what that would do to functionality.

Nothing on one, a little click out of two

4 Likes

Hey! So on the topic of Yubikey, seeing as a lot of you know a lot about it, I just got one and was wondering a little something. Ive been reading about using it to secure my windows login and was wondering if it’s worth it in your opinion. Is it overkill on a personal laptop? I just find it to be a cool tool and want to utilize it the best I can.

In my personal opinion (I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable with this stuff as the other guys here) for a Windows login you could just go with an xEM or probably for better a NExT paired with the KBR1
Edit: Or even using an ACR122U with the ISLOG software

1 Like

Yes, for login onto a computer in a non-critical security environment. Otherwise, fugetaboutit.

2 Likes

xNT or NExT would be the options. xEM is LF, KBR1 is HF

This is the big one - what’s your threat model? On a laptop that just logs in to Facebook and is stored at your house, probably good to use a KBR.

Depends what is on the laptop. It will improve security at the cost of convenience. If you’re studying to be a journalist and fear your government then its worth it. If you suspect your housemate will try and snoop on your private info then (you need a new housemate, but) its worth it. Security always costs convenience, choose the balance that suits your assessment of the risks.

1 Like

The issue is not the reader but the chip. Non-crypto chips are essentially readily-readable memory stores - meaning anyone who can read your chip gains access to whatever the chip is “protecting”. However that’s fine in many settings - like a home computer that you don’t want your spouse or nosy kids to access, your work computer, some cabinet in your office, a machine tool in a factory
 If you want to use such chips for banking credentials however, you’re bonker.

Having said that, there’s also the fact that implants are on you and have a very limited read range. That alone bumps up the security considerably, as nobody can really sneak by you and casually read your chip as long as you’re awake and you’re not boozed up. It’s not proper security, but it’s a step up compared to a coin a credit card format tag.

And then there are mitigations strategies that use “less secure” chips like the Mifare Classic that seem fairly successful. Like for example my door lock at home, that uses rolling codes on encrypted sectors. The only way into my house would be to approach me while I’m sleeping with a Proxmark3, then spend 5 to 20 minutes hardnesting the current content out of the chip, then duplicate it on a blank M1k and get into my house before I do. Yes, it’s not proper security, but the attack vector starts to become really quite unlikely. Not to mention, it wouldn’t be covert entry, as I would know immediately someone got in when my door would reject my own chip.

So, unsecure chips have their uses. It’s not all good for the trash.

1 Like

Oh absolutely, in fact I still use EM4100 for a lot of stuff.

True, but worth noting security is a combination of both. It’s entirely possible to use a secure chip in an insecure way, or to combine an insecure chip with other factors to make a reasonably secure system

1 Like

Thanks for the info everyone! Security overkill is fun. Sometimes I’ll use a VPN over Tor just for giggles. I guess in my situation using a Yubikey for my laptop is pretty much the same thing.

Also, I’ve been thinking about using my implants ID as an encryption password for an external hard drive. Dunno if that’s considered low-risk or not.

Don’t forget when the Apex line comes out, there are multiple some applets that might be of interest to you also

https://www.vivokey.com/apex

Anyone in the market for 1 or 2 unused and unopened xg3’s? I’m looking to get rid of them to help pay for a titan lol!

2 Likes