The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Frustration thy name is Gmail.

I need help. My gmail account, (Firefox Win7) got switched to the basic html version. Thereā€™s ā€œsupposedā€ to be a button on there that sends it back to the standard view. It doesnā€™t seem to exist. Any idea how to change it back?

For bonus points, my phone has been stuck like this for years too. (Firefox Android) Itā€™s even been that way across multiple phones. The setting is stuck there on googleā€™s end, and I CAN NOT figure out a way to fix it.

Try this link:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?nocheckbrowser

So i tried signing out / in. Password is not working or incorrect. I canā€™t get past the security questions.

I think this got touched off by some kind of change at Google. Going to give them a bit to straighten up whatever they may have done. Then try to get back in.

I still have access via my phone, but Iā€™m not dicking with that until itā€™s not my ONLY access.

Thanks for the link, though. Just gonna give it a day or so before I try it.

1 Like

Try logging in via incognito and see if there is a cookie issue.

If not, can you get to any kind of settings screen at all or is that the issue?

Also this looks suspiciously like mobile modeā€¦ is your browser doing something to indicate to the server itā€™s a mobile browser? Plugin doing something? Setting?

Basically, yeah. Thereā€™s a button in the Standard view to change to Basic HTML view. Thereā€™s supposed to be one that goes the other way, but itā€™s never been there. Thatā€™s how my phone has been stuck in Basic view for along time now.

My PC just out of the blue asked me to verify if I really wanted to use the Basic view. It offered two buttons, standard or basic. But it wouldnā€™t let me click on the standard. It did however accept the click on the basic. FUCK ME.

In an attempt to reset, I logged out, and was going to log back in. I canā€™t get back in. The forgot password feature keeps rejecting my answers on the ā€œwhat was your first phone numberā€ question. Thereā€™s only so many variations of that answer, and Iā€™ve tried it with hyphens / area code, and without. Also, it should be offering to send a code to my phone, but itā€™s not.

The way this just popped up out of the blue, and itā€™s refusal to do the normal things itā€™s supposed to do makes me think they pushed out a bad update or something. I hope thatā€™s all it is. Wait and see for now.

That soundsā€¦ odd.

Incognito mode do anything for you?

Just tried it. Same bs. Canā€™t get past the password.

Trying to update / change my account verification info via phone. Gotta update Firefox first. Which is gonna suck, cause every update makes a bunch of meaningless changes that just make using it harder, until you finally figure them out, and they update that shit again.

Do you have a Spark you can login with?

I understand you reluctance to move to Win10 / 11

I was the same, I held out until the security patches were no longer being produced.
By that time, the Win10 had ironed out most of its bugs.

Win10 is not the worst :wink:

It may even solve your issue

I know how you donā€™t even like to stay logged in,

so this may be an uphill battle

BUT if you wanā€™t a hand :handshake: here it is

In case of emergency, Break Windows (10)

How to download Windows 10 for free

Hereā€™s how to get Windows 10 for free, if youā€™re currently running a licensed and activated copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Home or Pro:

1. Go to the Download Windows 10 website.

2. Under Create Windows 10 installation media , click Download tool now and Run .

3. Choose Upgrade this PC now , assuming this is the only PC youā€™re upgrading. (If youā€™re upgrading a different machine, choose Create installation media for another PC , and save the installation files.)

4. Follow the prompts.

5. When the upgrade is complete, go to Settings Update & Security > Activation , and you should see a digital license for Windows 10.

1 Like

Funny you should post that.

I was in college when Win8 came out, and they gave out a bunch of free licensed copies. I pretty much sat on mine, till tonight. I yanked an old 'puter out of storage and loaded Win8 on it for a project that I want to keep physically separate from my main computer.

Now it utterly refuses to update anything.
I think I can get it to 8.1 manually updated. But frankly, Iā€™ve had enough for tonight. Bed time.

2 Likes

Just remember to update to windows 10 straight away since 8.1 support ends in January. Windows 8.1 support will end on January 10, 2023

1 Like

Anyone else geek out on flip clocks?

5 Likes

That one is a wonder! :star_struck:

1 Like

House we are in the never ending process with

Is designed for a deck, but currently has none

We actually kinda like it, because then we can make sure itā€™s made with TREX and vinyl or whatever, and last forever with minimal maintenance

But currently my house is a eunuch

10 Likes

I re-built my porch last year with trex and am very pleased with it. Itā€™s a ton of work but worth it.

Cost vs wood is the killer for me with trexā€¦ like even I I stay in the house for 15-20 years itā€™ll only barely be worth it.

How was the workability? Easy drilling, sawing, nails or screws?

Hahaha

Trex is often cheaper than wood now :sweat_smile:

ā€¦but not because trex got cheaper :sweat:

1 Like