The anti🚫-derailment🚃 & thread🧵 hijacking🔫 thread🧵 ⁉

Frustration thy name is Gmail.

I need help. My gmail account, (Firefox Win7) got switched to the basic html version. There’s “supposed” to be a button on there that sends it back to the standard view. It doesn’t seem to exist. Any idea how to change it back?

For bonus points, my phone has been stuck like this for years too. (Firefox Android) It’s even been that way across multiple phones. The setting is stuck there on google’s end, and I CAN NOT figure out a way to fix it.

Try this link:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?nocheckbrowser

So i tried signing out / in. Password is not working or incorrect. I can’t get past the security questions.

I think this got touched off by some kind of change at Google. Going to give them a bit to straighten up whatever they may have done. Then try to get back in.

I still have access via my phone, but I’m not dicking with that until it’s not my ONLY access.

Thanks for the link, though. Just gonna give it a day or so before I try it.

1 Like

Try logging in via incognito and see if there is a cookie issue.

If not, can you get to any kind of settings screen at all or is that the issue?

Also this looks suspiciously like mobile mode… is your browser doing something to indicate to the server it’s a mobile browser? Plugin doing something? Setting?

Basically, yeah. There’s a button in the Standard view to change to Basic HTML view. There’s supposed to be one that goes the other way, but it’s never been there. That’s how my phone has been stuck in Basic view for along time now.

My PC just out of the blue asked me to verify if I really wanted to use the Basic view. It offered two buttons, standard or basic. But it wouldn’t let me click on the standard. It did however accept the click on the basic. FUCK ME.

In an attempt to reset, I logged out, and was going to log back in. I can’t get back in. The forgot password feature keeps rejecting my answers on the “what was your first phone number” question. There’s only so many variations of that answer, and I’ve tried it with hyphens / area code, and without. Also, it should be offering to send a code to my phone, but it’s not.

The way this just popped up out of the blue, and it’s refusal to do the normal things it’s supposed to do makes me think they pushed out a bad update or something. I hope that’s all it is. Wait and see for now.

That sounds… odd.

Incognito mode do anything for you?

Just tried it. Same bs. Can’t get past the password.

Trying to update / change my account verification info via phone. Gotta update Firefox first. Which is gonna suck, cause every update makes a bunch of meaningless changes that just make using it harder, until you finally figure them out, and they update that shit again.

Do you have a Spark you can login with?

I understand you reluctance to move to Win10 / 11

I was the same, I held out until the security patches were no longer being produced.
By that time, the Win10 had ironed out most of its bugs.

Win10 is not the worst :wink:

It may even solve your issue

I know how you don’t even like to stay logged in,

so this may be an uphill battle

BUT if you wan’t a hand :handshake: here it is

In case of emergency, Break Windows (10)

How to download Windows 10 for free

Here’s how to get Windows 10 for free, if you’re currently running a licensed and activated copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Home or Pro:

1. Go to the Download Windows 10 website.

2. Under Create Windows 10 installation media , click Download tool now and Run .

3. Choose Upgrade this PC now , assuming this is the only PC you’re upgrading. (If you’re upgrading a different machine, choose Create installation media for another PC , and save the installation files.)

4. Follow the prompts.

5. When the upgrade is complete, go to Settings Update & Security > Activation , and you should see a digital license for Windows 10.

1 Like

Funny you should post that.

I was in college when Win8 came out, and they gave out a bunch of free licensed copies. I pretty much sat on mine, till tonight. I yanked an old 'puter out of storage and loaded Win8 on it for a project that I want to keep physically separate from my main computer.

Now it utterly refuses to update anything.
I think I can get it to 8.1 manually updated. But frankly, I’ve had enough for tonight. Bed time.

2 Likes

Just remember to update to windows 10 straight away since 8.1 support ends in January. Windows 8.1 support will end on January 10, 2023

1 Like

Anyone else geek out on flip clocks?

5 Likes

That one is a wonder! :star_struck:

1 Like

House we are in the never ending process with

Is designed for a deck, but currently has none

We actually kinda like it, because then we can make sure it’s made with TREX and vinyl or whatever, and last forever with minimal maintenance

But currently my house is a eunuch

10 Likes

I re-built my porch last year with trex and am very pleased with it. It’s a ton of work but worth it.

Cost vs wood is the killer for me with trex… like even I I stay in the house for 15-20 years it’ll only barely be worth it.

How was the workability? Easy drilling, sawing, nails or screws?

Hahaha

Trex is often cheaper than wood now :sweat_smile:

…but not because trex got cheaper :sweat:

1 Like