The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

I need dat

Not quite. From my understanding, those go on the ear drums and require additional precautions to avoid infections in the middle ear.

Maybe a version that only allows air to go through and bonds to the ear drum could help but the eustachian tubes would still be responsible for draining fluid and mucus out of there. Iā€™m not sure if this is a good idea TBH.

1 Like

Found an icode slix fob in my harness :smiley:

1 Like

What possible purpose could that have? Maybe anti-theftā€¦ but that seems like a rather expensive way to put such a commonly used EAS tag into a piece of equipment.

If itā€™s a climbing harness, that has serious liability attachedā€¦ could be serial number, batch, user, etc
The manufacturer may mantain a database of what tag goes to what product as validation
In a manner that is harder from a Chinese company to knock off

There are several Chinese knockoffs of my
Productsā€¦ going so far to duplicate random serial numbers to try and pass the test if a customer calls to run a serial number

We have a running list of counterfeit serialsā€¦ because for whatever reason they just use the same number for everythingā€¦ youā€™d think they would randomize it

1 Like

It is a DBI Sala tower climbing harness. I figured it would be something for authentication against knock offs or something similar.

too expensive to randomize :slight_smile:

what products are those?

Firearm opticsā€¦.

airsoft knock off shit are the copies Iā€™m talking about

1 Like

I figured out the use for the RFID tag! Inventory control, and inspection/maintenance records! Good to know for when I need a Competent Person whoā€™s not the harness user (me) to do annual inspections!

Blockquote
4.0 INSPECTION 4.1 RFID TAG: The Radio Frequency Identifi cation (RFID) tag on the Harness (see Figure 12) can be used in conjunction with a handheld reading device and the web based portal to simplify inspection and inventory control and provide records for your fall protection equipment.

2 Likes

wanna have a chat about a possibly solution?

Do they work?

Iā€™m down to chat, but I donā€™t see any realistic solutions

China knocks off whatever they want, and people buy knock offs, further supporting and incentivizing Chinaā€¦

Ultimately itā€™s all over my head, I just make sure they are built right at this point

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t matter, people buy them

2 Likes

yeah if they donā€™t care and buying counterfeit isnā€™t the concern but actually the goal of the consumer, then thereā€™s no solution.

1 Like

I donā€™t think that the goal of the consumer is necessarily to buy specifically counterfeit, anecdotally I think most people prefer the real dealā€¦but the cost will always majoy influence the consumer into buying the knockoff (whether they know itā€™s counterfeit or not) China seems to always be able to reverse engineer and clone most products and sell the for a reaction the cost.

Just a little story related
Linus Media Group made a screwdriver and had issues with a manufacturer in China so they switched to a new one. Through whatever logistics the new manufacturer ended up with an old prototype of the screwdriver rather than the ā€œblueprintsā€ for the new design. The new manufacturer with just a single prototype was able to clone the old manufacturers product almost exactly and sent it to Linus as a sample. They couldnā€™t tell the difference for the most part.

The trick Iā€™ve found with China is that honestly most of the front-end people you deal withā€¦ the ones you see on alibaba and the ones that have contact people at the front lines who speak Englishā€¦ those are often fronts not actual manufacturersā€¦ they field requests and basically find a factory already doing that thing or doing something very close to that thing and buy from them and mark up to sell to youā€¦ which is why so often when we want to get into discussions about engineering, its a big waiting game and never results in anything to be honestā€¦ because they donā€™t have any engineers and they arenā€™t actually making the product.

this is basically what i was trying to sayā€¦ just in a subtle clever way that never translates on the internet :slight_smile: customers are often aware they are buying a knock-off but if they can get something that works at least 70% as good as the real deal, is at least 60% as durable as the real deal, but costs 50% or less than the real dealā€¦ they will buy on price every time because they are forgetting to factor in the cost of their time / safety dealing with garbage.

The frustrating thing about optics is, as you get cheaperā€¦ thereā€™s a lot of things that start ā€œnot workingā€ correctly insideā€¦ but the customer isnā€™t often aware of it

If you make an adjustment to a scope, you expect that it ONLY moves vertically right?
You expect that it starts moving right away, and evenly
You expect it to stay where it is supposed to during a recoil cycle

Youā€™d be amazed how terrible, Even lower tier name brand stuff does when you actually measure it

Chinese quality is a jokeā€¦ but people donā€™t KNOW that itā€™s not working

Anyone thatā€™s ever sighted in a scope and had troubleā€¦ thereā€™s probably a reason you werenā€™t aware of

1 Like

Request for savy laser gurus

I used to have a nice 50mw laser back in the dayā€¦ it died an unfortunate death

Bla bla bla USA fda laser red tape and rules
I think you CAN still buy but itā€™s weird

Anyone know a good source that isnā€™t insane for a nice 50-200mw green laser?

1 Like

Being on the spectrum, subtle clever things donā€™t translate for me anyways :sweat_smile:

2 Likes