The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

Right? Like the information is all there on Google and I’m taking care enough to check I can’t straight up break everything
 Part of the reason I asked is because I don’t see it in use in other queries where I think it should be used. If he was like “yeah when I port it into python for automation, it will stop working. So we can’t use it for automated projects.” That’s a concern I thought might be valid
 He was like just “regex can get really complicated really fast and you can get stuck troubleshoot it forever.”

I even said during the interview I use Google a lot to find the best way to do stuff. I want to learn. I don’t want to stagnate where I am. And they are trying to teach me different things
 By having me watch them do stuff over teams, a way I actively can’t learn. They also don’t want me to stagnate with my current skill set.

I think we will all eventually come to an understanding but it’s going to be really frustrating until then. Probably for them as well. I will learn things out of spite. I’m incredibly bullheaded. It’s my defining trait. I’ve had friends warn prospective managers about me before they hired me. So I try to understand it goes both ways. I always become very good at whatever my job is. That’s the trade off.

And as much as I am frustrated by things like this, I like the team I’m on. So once we get past the growing pains I think it will all come together nicely.

1 Like

That’s a great way to do it. Like at the point someone is aware something is possible, teach them the better way. Give them resources. Bonus points if it’s in a way they can learn well. :green_heart::blue_heart::brown_heart::black_heart::white_heart::brown_heart::sparkling_heart::blue_heart::heart::heart:

Totally different kind of training environment, but what was pounded in my head, and I pound into students heads

“You don’t know what you don’t know”

4 Likes

Explosives? Nuclear engineering?

6 Likes

High risk situations definitely apply :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @amal, the second datasheet link on this page is broken, it’s missing the D in DangerousThings, just so you know:

1 Like

The problem with SQL (databases actually) is that a wrong try might cause irreparable damage to the environment.

I do agree with you that people should be allowed to try things and learn by doing.
I love the energy you are displaying and that is a great trait!

In my work environment I would let you try your hand at doing something before I try to tell you how, because not only the challenge is healthy but learning after trying plants knowledge much better.

but
 if I had you in one of our Data teams
 unless I had a mock environment, I would also need some more confidence that you knew what to never do.

That said, I’ve seen an apprentice kill a whole database environment to the level that someone had to drive 4 hours to get a new backup from the second location (airgapped network-isolated data farm).
And the apprentice wasn’t even alone, he had a supervisor. But went too speedy with his trigger finger.

was at the same time hilarious and terrifying.

2 Likes

I totally get that. I’m pretty careful. That’s why I had reached out to him asking if there was any technical reason not to. I’m afraid of any table altering queries so I have that going for me, too. But like if there was incompatibility with other systems we will have to use later in the project, issues with how the info is stored, it takes up too much processing power and should be a last resort, etc. All things I can imagine reasonably being issues I might not be aware of.

I could accept those outright as a reason not to use it. Because those are the kind of questions that feel really specific to our environment and where weighing in with first hand experience has a lot of bonus value. For all I know our database is hooked up to a flux capacitor that’s allergic to curly brackets.

Everything’s going to be fine. I thought I was 80% done with this project and I asked a question and it sounds like the project as written is not what was requested by the user. We have a meeting tomorrow and he’s going to see my date column that’s just three substrings in a trenchcoat. I might even be able to see him clutch his head over it. It’s a big ol chunk of ugly in the middle of my query. But I might get to start over and make it even bigger and badder. :muscle:

1 Like

I think the best hilarifying thing I ever saw at work was when I worked in Post Maintenance Return to Service for a private jet company. All the people who verified the work was being done and documented right were old mechanics who didn’t like computers. Then IT tried to roll out a DIGITAL ONLY release process. The taught one or two of the younger guys and then shut down all the printers.

Planes ended up trapped in the ground for hours. The company was at serious risk of going bankrupt because of the narrow margins and how much was lost every hour. Plus the cost of renting planes from other companies to fulfill customer needs. It was pandemonium and it wasn’t my problem.

1 Like

That’s a great attitude.

And a few hilarious remarks. Kudos there! :rofl:

Also, the IT thing sounds frightening close to reality for some of the clients I have to deal with! :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Oh no. Well I hope the end of 2022 has nothing but perfect clients and nothing on fire that you don’t want to be (but fire everywhere you do want it) :fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

13 Likes

"You better watch out,
Let me tell you a fact.
If your SQL has literals,
You’re gonna be hacked.

SQL Injection is comin’ to town

We’ve got a shared cache,
It’s memory linked twice.
But it only works well,
When you’re binding all nice.

SQL Injection is comin’ to town

(bridge)
We know when you’ve been lazy,
And concatenated simple strings.
So just make sure you bind your stuff,
And don’t let the bad guys in.

So
 you better watch out,
Let me tell you a fact.
If your SQL has literals,
You’re gonna be hacked.

SQL Injection is comin’ to town"

Source: SQL Injection – A Christmas Carol – Learning is not a spectator sport

5 Likes

7 Likes

10 Likes

The new check mark freaked me out in my tired state of mind XD

2 Likes

Just a little reminder that he’s always watching you

5 Likes

It’s getting under my skin for that matter

2 Likes

So I was hoping to get my 12 mth visit badge early next year but after 29 hours of airports and flying, I seem to have missed a day (despite visiting in the air and at the stopover). Not sure what happened because the longest period of not logging in would have been maybe 18 hours.

Does anyone know if the site counts visits according to a set time zone or something? In other words, how does it work??

2 Likes

It’s black magic that only the resident AI is comfortable messing with.

4 Likes