The doNExT is in

That’s precisely what I don’t want: I like the light thing at night, but I want it perfectly invisible during the day.

Come to think of it, maybe Amal can indeed help there.

Mh, I’d say take a look at the stars - they’re really thin, so I think if you don’t place them on super skinny places (like fingers or such), they’ll be hardly visible until it’s dark :wink:

But yes, that would be a use-case for Amal’s new GlowFlex!

Are you saying the amount of material helps the luminosity?

Dunno, but I don’t think so - the glowing silicone has to be covered by non-glowing silicone, because of biocompatibility, so there is the glowing part, then a layer of non-glowing stuff, then the skin… guess it might (!) even glow more if the “shell” would be thinner, which might be possible with biopolymer (or at least more possible than with silicone^^).

Oh, @amal : Any idea on how toxic your glowpoder is? Would it be a good idea to inject it? (thinking of glowing tattoos, again…) :wink:

As far as I can tell, Amal’s magic goo is more or less transparent. So no issue there.

I wouldn’t think more glow-in-the-dark material glows more, but maybe longer. Or maybe not: I don’t think light can reach very far down into the material, since it’s quite opaque.

Maybe I should just concentrate on building that field generator and lighting up the LEDs I already have in my wrist…

That image came from this thread if you havent seen it, Plenty of stuff in there to pique your interest

You won’t get endless glow out of body heat. If it charges with heat, it releases light energy when it cools down. Thermodynamics is a bitch: there ain’t no free lunch.

Ah, thanks! Saw it some time ago, but I misunderstood it a bit - supposed it was UV-active stuff, not actual glow-in-the-dark-powder. At least here in germany, I’ve never seen anything glowy except for the standard greenish colour, so I might have worn blinkers on that :wink:
Oh it would be so incredible to use that for implants or tattoos… not a good idea, I’m afraid, but it would look amazing… :star_struck:

1 Like

That’ll be because it’s over-coupled and consequently off frequency. Commercial tags are typically resonant high in frequency, usually around 14.8 MHz. The reason for this is the load pull of the reader. As the tag approaches the reader its frequency is pulled down and at some point you’ll get optimal coupling, say 3cm or so. In this instance when you over-couple you’re still close enough in tune for it to work. Now taking that same commercial tag and slapping it on the back of your hand the resonant frequency would’ve dropped to about 14.2 MHz. I’ve just tested on a 25mm NTAG. So now your optimum coupling could actually be about 5cm, and providing the tag is of reasonable size will work. But as you move it closer to the reader there’s a good chance you’ll fall out the readers operating range (remember you’ve detuned the tag by 600 kHz by placing it on the back of your hand) and things start to get flaky. Of course when implanted the frequency shift is probably greater. Big tags you can get away with things, but small tags are a different matter if you want optimum efficiency.

1 Like

One of the first here. I have mine in the same-ish place that @anon3825968 has, and after the two or so months that I’ve had it, I can say it’s practically invisible. I can’t really see it at all, except just barely when trying to force my wrist to bend into a shape that I would never do without trying specifically to see it.

I just noticed my arm is ever-so-slightly yellower than the other around the implant. It’s almost imperceptible, but I was sitting in a marketing meeting this morning at work, crossing my arms to subconsciously signal that I wasn’t really willing to participate in any of the bull that was flying across the table, and that’s when I noticed the subtle difference.

So I guess there is some blood under there after all.

2 Likes

There you are - charged it a bit with my UV-flashlight, simply because the room was not pitch black and I wanted to be able to take a picture without battling with my camera too much :wink: But that’s pretty much the look you get with bare eye when it’s dark.

Second half is in broad daylight, and yes, it’s still not “finished” - the skin in the middle will sink down a bit more, but this can take several months. It’s now almost 3 months old (one more week to go).

7 Likes

I have been thinking of putting the stars in that area, closer to the wrist.

Thank you for sharing!

Edit: Forgot to say this part first. That is awesome looking!

1 Like

Thanks! Very groovy! The orientation is almost perfect too - that is, it hasn’t rotated flexNExT-style apparently.

It’s pretty bright. I like the lighting effect. The 3D lump under the skin however… Uuh, not so much. I can tell rightaway if I had that under my wrist where you have it installed, it would quickly bother the hell outta me, seeing as though I spend most of my days with my wrists resting on a table typing away at the computer.

Aesthetically speaking, there’s something to be said for that device implanted at the back of the neck. It would be very Ghost in the Shell-themed I reckon.

1 Like

Actually, I want the stars (3 of them, increasing in size - edit: decreasing! stupid me…) going from the implant “up” the arm, but, unfortunately, they are too flat for this area and wouldn’t be visible in normal light. But my artist and me are still working on a solution for that, I’ll keep you updated :wink:

Nah, no rotation at all - that thing is thick enough that the skin “grips” to it and keeps it from moving. And the orientation actually is perfect, it just looks weird sometimes depending on how I hold my hand. If I just keep my arms relaxed down, it sits exactly in the middle :smiley:

Yep, that can actually get a bit annoying, depending on your desk setup… when I’m on a gaming-marathon, I like to put something soft underneath it, then everything’s fine.

I’d absolutely love that, but those implants can’t be put above joints - and the spine is a massive collection of joints - and yes, I actually asked my artist on our first meet if he could do implants all the way up the spine^^ So I’ll be getting a ghost-in-the-shell / altered-carbon-style tattoo in my neck, some implants on my chest and arms, and the rest will be scars :wink:

2 Likes

Good news: touch feeling is starting to come back to the skin over the implant. The nerves are definitely reconnecting.

Ain’t the human body wonderful? With all the stupid things we do to it, it still manages to sort itself out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Day 9: feeling is fully restored over 3/4th of the implant, with one sector still numb (opposite the scar line, strangely enough).

How long did it take for other flexNExT wearers?

With the flexNExT, not very long - I’d say maybe two weeks? On my silicone implant, it was much longer, about a month or maybe even two, and I’m honestly not sure if it is completely restored yet. I can feel touch and all, but it might be a little less than on other areas of my wrist. But it’s surprisingly hard to tell…

Day 10: the stitches are out. I probably pulled them out too early, but the skin was getting very red and irritated all around the scar line, and the stitches were starting to embed themselves into the skin.

Fortunately, I put some strips across it 30 minutes after the removal, and that seems to have stopped the skin from tearing itself apart. It’s separated maybe 1 mm between the strips, and it’s not really dry in the middle. But the redness seems to be going away slowly. Hopefully it’s just irritation and not an infection…

Uh oh… Non-negligible fluid buildup over the implant now. Wtf?