The doNExT is in

It does…
My flexy still produces quite a bit of fluid if I use my hand too much (actually, I wore a bandage at work today, just to try it out, and it was significantly less than the days before); there are days when it’s totally dry and others where it swells up maybe one or two millimeters.
My silicone baby is a bit older, so I can say more about that - it was swollen for a really long time. My artist even considered a drainage, but decided against it, saying my body will sooner or later absorb the fluid - but that actually took maybe 1,5 - 2 months. Was more of a “cosmetic problem” in a way, since there was no pain, no redness, no signs of any infection or whatever, so my artist and me just decided to be patient and give my body all the time it needed. Considering that the pocket for the flex is quite a bit larger, it might even take more time. But as long as there is no sign of inflammation or anything, I wouldn’t bother :wink:

Yeah that’s kind of what I thought too. Leave it alone. It’s fine, it’s just a bit unsightly - and not even too much at that. I’ll keep the bandage around just in case.

The only thing that bothers me a bit with that is saunas: I haven’t had one in 2 weeks, and I was looking forward to having one after the stitches came off. But I’m concerned it’ll flare up the swelling. It’s completely under control, so I don’t want to risk ruining that now. Still, being in Finland, having a sauna at home and not being able to use it… kind of a bummer.

At least you can still beat yourself with birch branches!

I feel you - I usually do my wellness-day with a nice hot bath once a week, and while having a shower was no problem, I was not able to sink into my beloved bathtub for, dunno, 3 or 4 weeks. Terrible thing :wink:
But yeah, I wouldn’t risk the sauna in your situation… might help, since it’s good for circulation, but might also make things worse…

Wow! That is a super long time to bathe for

1 Like

I feel slightly misunderstood…^^

2 Likes

I’m afraid of doing that: the birch tree doesn’t stop when I say the safe word :slight_smile:

Soo curious what your safe word is…

1 Like

Pilgrimsmaster suggested that you hit yourself, but the idea of a birch tree attacking you and hitting you with its branches while you utter some dubious safewords is quite amusing :stuck_out_tongue:
It reminds me a little bit of the tree-scene in the first evil dead film… hell, I’m getting old^^

Oh yeah, that as well!

1 Like

Evil dead will be screened at the first post-covid cyborg party.

6 Likes

One by one, we will take you! Sounds like a nice marketing slogan for dangerous things :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a secret between the tree and me.

More seriously though, I don’t have one because I’m not into that. But it got me thinking: surely if I needed one, I’d want something easy to pronounce when it’s… not so easy to pronounce things. So for shits and giggles, I tried to think of something, and that turned out to be surprisingly tricky and time consuming :slight_smile:

Here’s an interesting find:

The Feitian 502 and Feitian 502-CL, which are kind of crap at reading glass implants, are very good at reading the flexNExT at medium range: the 502 reads mine through my wrist with light contact, and the 502-CL reads it with the bottom of my wrist a good 1/4" off the reader.

Additionally, I don’t have to hunt around for the magic location with them: they read solidly over a good half of their surface, and all 3 blinkies stay lit in all positions, and dim in unison when I go too far off.

For comparison, the ubiquitous ACR122U only gets a read if I forcibly flatten my wrist onto it, and usually one or two of the LEDs stay off in most positions.

I deduce the Feitian’s EM field is much more uniform than the ACR’s, meaning it’s also uniformly weaker everywhere. That would explain the issues with glass implants - and why the ACR has the advantage there - it but works better with full size transponders.

Sooo, I guess I’ll drag them out of the drawer of oblivion to which I had consigned them. I’m glad I didn’t resell them now.

Which brings me to this question: does anybody know if the Feitian API has been published - specifically low-level pseudo APDUs? I’ve looked around on the innurnet, but I can’t find anything.

We are working with them actually…

1. they are coming out with an upgraded antenna for glass x-series chips. I have a prototype on my desk and it works great… similar to acr122u.

2. bummer is, no transparent mode support. I’m pushing them on that.

1. Wow that’s great news! Is there a tradeoff with large tag performances then?
  2. Okay, so it’s not like it’s just undocumented: it’s plain not supported. Bummer, I was kind of hoping I could control the field directly with those things. Oh well then, back to the ACR for that idea…

I haven’t tested with the new reader and large tags but their goal was to support smaller tags while keeping good performance with cards and fobs so… probably.

Yeah not supported because it would require firmware in the reader to customize the waveform processing since the nfc reader chip itself doesn’t do that work or understand those commands itself.

Oh boy… I so wish they opened up the firmware :wink: I’d buy a million of those things, even at a premium.

A million you say… Hmmm… if you wanted to write the oss firmware we’d explore making the hardware.

So, let’s see if I get this right: I write the firmware, then I order a million devices from you at a premium uh? It’s tempting but… :slight_smile:

Haha well… in all honesty if you wanted to work on oss firmware we could do hardware design, and provide hardware.of course. It’s a worthy project.