The dream Chip (keeping it close to achievable, though)

I’d be up for one of those, but I would swap the NTAG 216 out for a MagicNTAG or Magic S50 ( since we are dreaming :thought_balloon: , it would be a gen2 that would couple with my a phone for reading / writing, and also whilst still dreaming :thought_balloon:, @darthdomo would also have an LF antenna /reader designed into his Pinephone case and an app that would work across both LF and HF chips) :seedling:

SURVEY Multi-purpose xSeries implant!

1 Like

I’d actually really love a chip that just reads biometric data. Specifically, an accurate heart rate monitor.

I’d like any other biometrics as well, but heart rate is something that I’ve wanted a reliable accurate source for a long while.

2 Likes

That’s a rather interesting concept!
It would surely be interesting.

Although this one is even more interesting:

If you target something like a pinephone which the case could plug straight into the serial, leaving the usb c port free, could be an interesting project for someone like @darthdomo !!
I’m fairly sure this is a doable project and one that a whole .,org would want! :wink:

not so hypotethical!
That chip sounds fairly possible.
The only downfall I see there comes from capitalism. :sweat_smile:
As in… thsat is a chip you won’t ever get rid of! so that’s less of an incentive for manufacturers to develop it!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Joke aside, Please do share the schematics if you ever come to build it. I would surely buy one. or a dozen. :grin:

The only reason I haven’t got a temp sensing chip yet is because something in my guts tell me @amal is surely developing exactly that!!
Fair point that I have been thinking that for about a year and a half now? :sweat_smile:

The one thing I’m pondering before backing the new FlexMN is exactly that…
Having blinkes for me is more than just showmanship… on a chip I would want to use them as visual verification.
So having blinkies on only one frequency is kinda… mehpp? :neutral_face:

ohhhhh, YES! :star_struck:
Shame the silicone part would fuck up the chip’s performance/functionality… but I do believe something like that could be achieved… if only we got bodymod and biohack communities a tad bit closer. :wink:

I swear I wrote my reply portion to @Eriequiet before reading this bit!! :rofl:

You mean… an xMN? :wink:
I would find uses for that!

A good-range full biometric chip would be great for my current slowly evolving smart mirror project!

Glad to see many Ideas popping up!
If anything concrete comes out of this thinktank I’m happy!!
Think I would gladly back any of the Ideas tossed up so far! :smiley:

2 Likes

Nah, I don’t have the skills for that. I can only do big electronics, 80’s style. I haven’t kept up. My specialty is software.

But if someone wants to implement my idea, I’ll buy a few too :slight_smile:

So, this is actually pretty interesting, I was doing some thinking on this tonight/this morning (starting to blend together…) after @Pilgrimsmaster 's comment. I actually tried hooking up the proxmark to my pinephone (got it a few days ago), and that’s how I found out that USB OTG apparently isn’t implemented yet. I got a dock with my PinePhone, but it’s way too bulky to implement into anything. Thankfully, the actual command line util and everything compiled just fine with 0 issues.

However, the Proxmark3 connects via a USB-serial interface via a software implementation. As you mentioned, the PinePhone has a serial port (contained within the headphone jack). Specifically, a UART port with a maximum baud rate of 115200, should be plenty for the most part. So, I’m wondering if I can bypass the USB-serial and find a way to connect directly UART-UART. It looks the RDV4 already has an exposed UART for this purpose (along with other purposes), but I can’t find any documentation for the PM3 Easy. Taking a small glance at the board, I can’t see an exposed UART anywhere, all I see for connections is SPI and JTAG.

Looking at the datasheets for the ARM CPU they’re using, it seems like it should be possible. I should be able to disable the USB-CDC implementation, and instead use the dedicated UART pins on the CPU itself (I’m already not looking forward to the soldering job needed). My only fear is, if something goes wrong, I’m fucking around with the same communication system I need to flash new firmware. If I mess up the serial implementation, then I can’t flash anymore. I’ll need some more time and research for sure before I do anything here, but I’m hopeful. A PinePhone with a proxmark strapped to the back would be a pretty damn powerful tool. I can also tap into the pogo pins on the back for power as well, which is nice.

I’m almost done with my HF NFC back case by the way, hopefully. I’m doing a test print right now of the stock back case to ensure everything snaps together correctly, then in the next hour or two I’ll finish modifying it to fit the PN532 breakout. Already got the breakout prepped (wires soldered + bypassing the giant selector switch, makes it much smaller).

You can use JTAG to reflash the FW. I posted a rough (and tbh not super understandable, but it happens) guide on this.

I’ve just received my new FT2232HL board which will allow me to test out another potential JTAG probe. They’re very cheap from china (~$8-10) or you can spend a bit more ($15) and get the single channel version from Adafruit. Hopefully I’ll be able to edit the post as soon as I’ve tested it out.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m aware (after seeing your post a few weeks ago, mainly), but it’s just very annoying haha (not a huge deal though, and it’s a good thing to point out). I’ve got plenty of Raspberry Pis lying around, I just find them super annoying to work with on a regular basis due to my setup. Trying to get them enough power + some way to communicate, whether it’s a physical display + peripherals, or over the network via VNC or SSH, it’s just always really messy. I have a tiny desk lmao.

Not a huge deal to do once, but I don’t want to have to debug anything that way. Gonna spend a long time reading documentation before I even try anything.

The FT232H / FT2232H / FT4232H can be used from a standard computer running linux… if you’re not going to do much soon, maybe order one from China with the cheap shipping just in case? I can try to test it out first tomorrow, but it should work (it’s one of the pre-definited configs).

an interesting idea would be to hijack apples MagSafe system for the new iPhone 12

Imagine attaching a pm3 onto it via magnet, powering from the charging coil, I think I saw an AirPods charger, which would indicate power can flow both ways, and probably Bluetooth to control it

Running PM3 client on iPhone would be basically impossible (currently), but the magnet / wireless concept is definitely an interesting one!

Yea, I understand that Apple sucks, but I still like them lol

Yeah, I might go ahead and do that. I’ve been wanting a JTAG programmer anyways, just in case, would be good to have. Looks like I can get them for $5-8 shipped. I am a little worried about getting a fake chip though, I know FTDI chips are faked like crazy. Might just end up getting the Adafruit one via amazon, I’ve been expanding my toolkit lately anyway, as my christmas gift to myself.

Yeah, I love Adafruit, but I got the cheapie ones. Even if it’s a fake, using Linux with open source software should be fine as long as it functions the same. No proprietary drivers like the previous FTDI fiasco.

If we are talking achievable dreams, I personally wouldn’t be talking about a Proxmark.
I get the Linux:Linux relationship, but I would rather a, less bulky, more user friendly option.
However staying on that same thought path, and still engaging the achievable dream :thought_balloon:
INTERFACE
Rather than a terminal, how about an app to interface, using buttons for the common commands. One button push vs typing script. :exploding_head:

HARDWARE
The RDV4 when spread out would be relatively low profile ( I wonder if a Proxmak including Antennas could be made on a flexible PCB :thinking: ) and Re: the RDV4 having an exposed UART

Sound: Loudspeaker, 3.5mm jack & mic (jack doubles as hardware UART if killswitch 6 is deactivated)

All conveniently located near the Pogo pins

Yeah, I thought about an RDV4, would be the better option by far, albeit a very very expensive one.

I mainly was focused on a proxmark, because I’m not aware of any LF breakout boards or chips that interface over I2C or serial, and also happen to be anywhere close to as flexible as the proxmark. An LF equivalent to the PN532 in terms of support & ease of use would be nice, but I don’t know of any. If anyone does, PLEASE let me know, I’m very interested in that.

Also damn, I meant headphone jack, not USB port. Fixed in an edit. Guess that’s what happens when I try to type a long reply on 3 hours of sleep haha.

1 Like

A quick “google”

:man_shrugging:

I feel like a python gui wouldn’t be too difficult but would only work if you already had pm3 installed. Getting an easy and graphical way to install the software would seem to be much more difficult.

Maybe just stick a Proxmark Pro to the back of the phone :wink:

I tried reimplementing a few PM3 client commands in Lua and in pure Python, and it gets tricky very quickly - as in, you’re looking at reimplementing the entire client essentially. There are several problems with that:

• The PM3’s protocol is a hodgepodge of high-level commands that get executed by the PM3’s hardware (easy to implement) and low-level raw data reads and writes that are decoded and interpreted client-side (harder)

• The documentation is beyond sketchy (read: there isn’t one - read the code)

• It’s a shifting target: it keeps changing from one iteration of the firmware / client to the next, which is why it’s so important to keep the two in sync.

In the end, I decided the bext course of action is to use the client as a backend. Spawn it as a separate process, send it commands through its stdin and get the results back through its stdout. And even that is not ideal: for instance, SiRFIDaL can use the PM3 as a reader, but I’ve had one report telling me it doesn’t work anymore because either one of the commands it issues it has changed, or the client’s output has changed and the regex used to recover the data it needs doesn’t match anymore.

The PM3’s software - firmware and hardware - is a maintainability, interoperability and compatibility nightmare. If it wasn’t a community project that someone kindly does on his own time, I’d be extremely pissed off with it.

I’ve had success with running a Sonny PaSoRi via NFCPy from my Pine.
And it’s one that looks like it could be flattened down pretty nicely.

Just adding 2 cents, while it’s kinda hard for me to forum up this week =P

For a full on GUI, yes.
But all you actually need is to extend a terminal.

Add one row of buttons, manage the state of the application, and present buttons to the user based on what he is doing.
One button press = pipe a command to be executed in that terminal.

For a mobile integration that hybrid solution would cover all my GUI needs to be honest.
As in,…

If I am using a proxmark, either I am “setting up shop”

• so I want a keyboard + mouse + terminal

Or I am doing a very selkect and pre-defined set of operations, such as read then clone.

• in which case, I just need 3/4 buttons total, and the terminal output is there only to help me double check stuff