The flexMN batch is now open!

I dont mind either

@amal How confident would you say you are that the lack of potting with the LED nails in the flexNExT was the cause for some of them failing? Iā€™m just trying to gauge what the longevity for them looks like. Is there any major risk of them burning out or dying in the flexMN?

iā€™m getting the chips ordered todayā€¦ shipping to me may take some time considering customs etcā€¦ hard to give ETA for this first batch, but for the 2nd batch I should have a better understanding. I may combine batches just because of shipping delays to be honestā€¦ but weā€™ll see how it sorts itself out. i am going to put a bit of an investment into the first chip purchase round and hopefully it pays off in batch 2, just so weā€™re not constantly behind on delivery.

very confident. unfortunately i have much less confidence that the resin potting will solve the issue. i hope it will, but no ideaā€¦ weā€™re in uncharted territory still.

as for burning outā€¦ no chanceā€¦ i have had the same nrfc nail stuck to the bottom of my acr122u for months nowā€¦ just being lit 100% duty cycle. no issues.

The best closest example of performance expectations would be the flexMT and so far I donā€™t think I know of any LEDs that have failed in the flexMT, only the flexNExTā€¦ but that might not be accurate. I do know that if any have failed in a flexMT, the count is so low I canā€™t even remember if it has happened or notā€¦ so that must be good right?

2 Likes

:arrow_double_up: This post up there :arrow_double_up:

That is confirmation that Amal is an optimist

4 Likes

i kinda have to be to want to run a devil chip business :wink:

4 Likes

You called :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Is there any way to reenforce some of the connections with solder? Also, have you or anyone else performed stress tests on the nails to see if thereā€™s is a common point of failure or anything?

The LEDs are the least of my problem, i love them with all my heart.

1 Like

There may be, but then the labor becomes increasingly tedious. I think maybe another approach might be to sort out a flex pcb antenna that incorporates chips and LEDs and passives all on the board along with the antenna. Then I could extract the chip and solder it to the boardā€¦ but thatā€™s also a lot of a different kind of labor ā€¦ up front labor ā€¦ may still be worth it thoughā€¦ just many projects on the table at the moment.

Also putting LEDs in on the same inductor does impact performance of both LEDs and chipā€¦ so the end result might not be all that awesomeā€¦ unless maybe two separate inductors were integrated into the boardā€¦ so many things to exploreā€¦ this is how ā€œlittle ideasā€ turn into big jobs.

Simple enough question, figured Iā€™d start a new topic
Since I havenā€™t seen this discussed specifically

Can / will there be a x series offering of the magic ntag?

I would be interested in this or even a flex wedge more than the flex disc shapes

I believe that the flexMN is already being offered in wedge form, it just wasnā€™t advertised as much.

Just looking at it from the perspective that flexā€™s have a lot more difficulty finding an installer, vs a simple x series injector

I think @amal said the chip in the FlexMN wasnā€™t available in the form factor required for x series. Iā€™ll look for that response and reply if I find it.

Found it! Here: SURVEY Multi-purpose xSeries implant!

1 Like

not likely ā€¦ the chips are only available in COB format (chip on board) and I do not have access to the bare silicon die required to make x-seriesā€¦ grey market and all thatā€¦ i donā€™t even have direct access to the COB chip makerā€¦ itā€™s one of those ā€œi got a guy who knows a guy whoā€™s got a guyā€ kind of situations.

once we get the chips in and can study them i think we can explore a narrow flex form factorā€¦ maybe. depends on the chip capacitance and our antenna design possibilities.

Any update on when a possible disbatch date for these cool chips would be? I saw that there was another batch online for this round, so Iā€™m not sure if weā€™re waiting on more people to order before production, or if itā€™s already started.

Iā€™d completely understand if weā€™re waiting on more people, Iā€™m just quite exited in getting it installed as Iā€™ve been able to find someone willing to do it and was hoping to get it in before mid February.

Iā€™m still waiting for the chips themselves to come inā€¦ dealing with grey market chinese vendors is proving to be just as irritating as ever.

Well thatā€™s just how it appears to work isnā€™t itā€¦ just got the magic ntag chips! Going to do some testing later tonight.

4 Likes

That is good news. Not that Iā€™m in a hurry or anything, butā€¦ I admit Iā€™m impatient to have a working long-range implant in my arm again :wink:

3 Likes

Now that my flexMN has come in, Iā€™ve been playing around with it a bit. I remember there being some discussion about the storage onboard, but I donā€™t remember the exact details about it, and when I emulate an NTAG 216, it shows up as only having 41 bytes of storage space when I read it with TagInfo and NFC Tools.

Is the chip itself just for emulation with no real NDEF capabilities? I feel like Iā€™m probably just messing something up, but I donā€™t want to go down the rabbit hole if Iā€™m starting at an incorrect assumption.

1 Like

I assume you got yours already because you ordered it sans blinkies, is that correct?

Re storage space, it should have the actual storage capacity of a NTAG216. At least thatā€™s my understanding.