The flexNExT is now in limited release!

Plus I’m not sure how many people are going to be jazzed about someone rubbing themselves on debit machines after covid

2 Likes

anyone have any ideas where to go or who to talk to about installing one of these

Alot will depend on your location. Finding someone close enough in your area that does advanced work.

Look for body mod studios, the kind that does silicone subdermals and things like that.

You may also have luck with some scarification artists since they are handy with a scalpel, but that’d be a plan B

1 Like

Got another (possibly very silly) question - do the LED burn out after a time? I know about the Northstar v1 and its lifespan of about 10.000 times light-on-light-out, simply because it wasn’t rechargeable, so how does that work here? Do the LED recharge through the readers or not at all? If not, how long will they work?
And, a question from my bodymod artist (:heart:) - how much can you bend these? So, can they be “folded” a bit, like a silicone implant, or does the incision have to be the full 4 cm?

The lights have no battery. It’s only on when near a reader or one day this

1 Like

Thank you! So no worries about the LED dying after some years, that’s good news for me :smiley:

1 Like

The middle bit is solid, around the other edge they have more flex, i imagine the LED version is less flexible than the non LED.

Just looking from the videos, I’d be surprised if it could be installed without damage in a less than 4cm incision

1 Like

Thanks! I already wear a silicone implant and was really surprised how small the incision was, simply because it could be squeezed a little before implantation. Guess I’ll live with a slightly bigger wound this time :wink:

I would say try sticking it in your chest like an Arc reactor but it would probably interfere with an AED if, god forbid, it ever needed to be used.

1 Like

Nice idea… though I’m already planning other fun stuff with my sternum :sunglasses:
And it might me somewhat uncomfortable to actually read the chips - though it might be fun opening a door with that^^

Oh, another stupid question of mine (certainly not the last one…): I actually searched around here, but couldn’t find much… the coating is a biopolymer, so not the medical grade silicon I am kinda used to - is there any way to sterilize it? I know it’s swimming in chlorhexidine, which is pretty okay I guess, but since I’m going to have a 4x4 cm pocket in my skin containing this cute little thing, I’d be a bit happier if it was really, really 99,99% free of possibly annoying stuff.
Sigh. Guess I’m still looking at this from a bodymodification point of view, less from a DIY-bodyhacking one… :smiley:

@amal mentioned in the video above that it’s clinically clean (not technically sterile) and that there are no reports of infection from the many years of customers installing flex implants.

They aren’t autoclave compatible, but they can be sterilised with EO gas if needed. Do your own risk assessment, but for me, clinically clean and installed in a sterile environment by a professional that is trained in aseptic procedures is enough for me to be comfortable.

1 Like

but imagine opening doors just by walking into them :smirk: :smirk:
door open

sounds tempting, I must admit… :thinking:

little update - ordered one yesterday, let’s see when it arrives here. If there is any interest, I’ll put up some pictures once I get it inside my body :wink:

2 Likes

I confirm that there is intense interest.

2 Likes

Okay, so let’s hope shipping and all the stuff works fine, I’m planning to get it implanted on the 12th of october. When I bought it, the confirmation said something about backorder, and I’m not so sure how fast international delivery currently is, because of… all that stuff going on. But me and my bodymod-artist are already a little hyped^^

Same, I’m super hyped about it. Hopefully it comes quick and customs don’t get all annoying with it I’m looking to have it implanted before end of August, I’m moving house then and need to be all healed up. Can’t wait!

Might depend on where you live - in germany, customs is usually not a big problem.
And maaaaybe, if DT gets everything done super fast, I might even get it implanted in my summer holidays, somewhere between end of july and beginning of august… just can’t wait for it :smiley:

As a rock climber, the whole potentially-fragile-things-in-your-hands deal is the biggest thing that concerns me about all implants. That said, I actually do have an old experimental Cyberise nfcxLED that @amal said I should really get removed— But I’ve been too lazy/scared to, and have been totally fine climbing for the past ~1.5 years with it.

I feel like this form factor would add significant risk to something like crack climbing, specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH6V7jWknaM

Just how sturdy is this thing? The tops of your hands frequently get pretty bloody and destroyed from crack climbing, and there’s intense pressure exerted on them.

It also feels weird to me, just looking at the tops of my hands— There’s tendons constantly flexing and popping even as I type this, whereas in the empty thumb-pouch area my implant currently is, there really is… nothing. Thoughts?