The flexNExT is now in limited release!

actually this is another potential side benefit of the laser… I’ve already seen as much with the crude industrial laser tests… the edge is “softer”

1 Like

Does that thing cut through your magic biopolymer without setting fire to it? Or maybe it only melts it if you dial it just right? In which case that would explain the rounded edges.

well there was some fire… so experimentation is necessary… but my hunch is that it can be dialed in

1 Like

Does burning it change the chemical composition at all? Would it be toxic or react bad if so?

Yeah it’s a concern… definitely not great to have the polymer burning as by definition burning is changing the chemical bonds… and the … well… for lack of a better word… splatter… of all the burned slag kinda sprays over the entire target leaving little molten burn barnacles everywhere… it’s just not acceptable to have any burning at all.

On the other hand, the resulting smoky flavor increases the implant’s deliciousness :slight_smile:

I smell a stretch goal! Titan Extreme Flavor Crunch!

1 Like

Random idea: wouldn’t these make interesting mini-flexNExTs?

Better read range than a glass implant, not as scary to implant or suitable for tight corners, one blinky. What’s not to love eh?

2 Likes

The NFC fingernails are so small that the hole wouldn’t be plausible. The biopolymer needs a few mm to properly seal. Also if you could punch a hole I doubt it would be big enough for tissue to reattach through it, it would just be a source of irritation. There might also be some trace routing going through that part of the board.

1 Like

Hole?

Pretty sure that isn’t a hole, it’s the epoxy covering the RFID device. I guess they’re using dies or flip chips. The original blinky things have no RFID chip. Just LEDs and a rectifier and perhaps current limiting resistors. That is why on their own they’ll just blink. The reader needs to see a chip to emit a continuous or near continuous carrier.

That ain’t no hole. That’s the potted chip.

I honestly thought they where meant to depict holes.

Well, logically, if the background around the devices in the picture is off-white, it would be off-white inside holes also. But - and here’s the clincher - it’s black :slight_smile:

Also, if you’ve ever taken a pocket calculator, an alarm clock, or any mass-produced Chinese product apart, you recognize a potted chip from a mile away. Those things are everywhere.

Yes blob top or chip on board technology litteraly a bare die bonded to the pcb with epoxy poured on top. I am also familiar with how misleading Chinese product photos can be as well as some people attempts at photoshop skills can be.

Anyway thats really not important I quite like the idea of small ntag flexes with leds one of those would be perfect for a buissiness card with relatively good range.

Yep. I like it enough too that if Amal were to release them as implants, I would be very very tempted…

2 Likes

2 Likes

I really like the business card idea! I think I must have a green LED on my flex. Sign me up, where do I send my money?

Still not sure if i want to deal with this as a product… but maybe some day soon.

The blue LED has enough energy to charge the glow powder resin encapsulated inside (but not the green)…

but you can charge both with the LED on your phone just fine…

the down side - the green LED is bright but other colors of this particular PCB design are not that great… blue is about half as bright as green, and red is basically imperceptible… anyone find some better examples on alibaba I’d go ahead and get some to test.

3 Likes