The official Titan crowdfunding campaign thread

I should be able to sort them out, I have access to a Stratasys Dimension SST 1200es. It doesn’t hurt to have redundant trays if the community is willing to contribute, though.

better use the latest iteration then …

titan h2o2 processing tray 4.stl (836.4 KB)

All I can say is I’m super jealous, and HOW???

I’ll definitely try printing one tonight, if anything it’ll be a good stress test. If it works well I’ll print a few off.

2 Likes

Ok … I have posted another update regarding the Glowforge… but the bottom line here is this - we might not be able to sort out marking the Titans.

As it is, we are racing against time to get these processed by our chosen gas plasma sterilization company in time to ship just before Christmas… we’re hoping we can accomplish this… but it’s looking very close.

Therefore, anyone who really wants their Titan marked will have to 1) wait until after the holidays, and 2) probably have to go without clinical sterilization since we can’t double batch these… the processing cost is too high to run two batches (marked vs unmarked). So… it’s poll time…

Mark of the Titan
  • Wait for marking
  • Ship asap

0 voters

Thanks everyone for your patience and understanding.

3 Likes

i could mill it from alu if that is possible

1 Like

@amal Got one of the trays printed in black ABS. There is a small amount of stringing, but I could tweak my retraction settings to reduce it, and I can eliminate it overall with a small blast from a hairdryer. They’re incredibly thin, and just pull right off. The actual core plastic turned out very strong, and overall print quality seems good.

I had a single corner lift about a millimeter, but it sits completely flat, and shouldn’t affect stackability.

Given that this is model is essentially an ABS warping torture test,

EDIT: Forgot to mention, took ~6-8 hours, and I have the materials on-hand to make probably 10-12 more easily if needed (that’s a very conservative estimate, if I had to guess it’s probably actually closer to 30).

4 Likes

That’s great!! The little pegs are just meant to corral the pouches and the tall pegs are supposed to stack and keep the tray above at least 30mm away so the magnets don’t create pressure. The pouches must be loose for the sterilization to work.

We have @Satur9 making our required batch but if you want to donate a couple I’d be pretty happy :slight_smile:

How did I miss this?!?!
I know the first batch isn’t finished yet, but add me to the list of people hoping for a second batch. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:wink:

1 Like

Not fair! My posting average is only 5 times a year! The worst part is I’m lurking less often while working from home than I was in the office. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

And now we’ve found you’re second problem. :wink:

In exploring acids and chems that could be used to accelerate aging in a biological environment like the interstitial tissues of the body, I found something surprising. Titanium is impervious to most acids and bases, especially at normal body temperatures… however, one thing Titanium literally dissolves in is good ol lactic acid. Yep… that stuff that builds up in your muscles when you work them hard.

That said, there aren’t any indicators that relevant levels of lactic acid even transits within interstitial tissues.

The body truly is a wonderland.

2 Likes

That’s interesting because if you remember the titanium-coated magnet implants I originally reported were affixed to muscles.

The question arises: is lactic acid even “free-flowing” in the body, or does it stay within the cells and get carried off by the veinous system? It may never touch an implant, even one implanted in a muscle.

I’m pretty far from being a biologist or doctor but wouldn’t the lactic acid be constrained to the circulatory and muscular systems? And I think (speculation here) most titanium implants like screws, bars, and pins are typically attached to bone of some kind. Again, I am nowhere near being a doctor or biologist so… :man_shrugging:

It will. It is a part of your blood/body. Following are some attached reading if anyone wants. I was curious. My best guess from all this? It will be fine.

Pure titanium dissolved in 128mmol of lactic acid. Normal adult range is .5 - 2.2 mmol. Not saying it isn’t possible for it to affect the implant. Just unlikely.

reading links I used.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11422680/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9851784/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC293758/?page=1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6409289/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11561899/#:~:text=Titanium%20dissolved%20in%20all%20lactic,decrease%20with%20a%20higher%20pH.&text=Our%20results%20show%20that%20the,dissolvable%20at%20pH%201.0-8.5.

1 Like

Some interesting thing to keep in mind - most good-quality piercings are made of titanium as well, and they are often put through muscles (tongue, lip, eyebrow, cheek etc.).
Since my tongue piercing hasn’t dissolved in 20 years, I think we will be all fine. Though, to be honest, I rarely do a hard workout for my tongue muscles… :thinking:

5 Likes

Paging Rosco

4 Likes

And I’m creepy? :slight_smile:

2 Likes