There's an Apex info page?!

Went like a dream @amal :slightly_smiling_face: insertion was a little bit touchy as I only had one hand to work with :stuck_out_tongue: the initial insertion was easy, the hard part was to get the flex far enough in to sew it closed. I massaged it back kind of pinching the skin in the pocket.
Sewing with one hand is always tricky, but since I’ve seen with both hands at work I could make it with one and a solder stand :sweat_smile: using a fresh needle&thread kit for each stitch (as the thread got contaminated by the solderstand).
I used the provided patch in the kit on top of the stitches :slightly_smiling_face:

If you struggle with the needles, perhaps a blindfold is the remidy to fix this? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If you have any extra vivokey flex, I would be willing to try to install it this way.

seeing pictures of the needles or it inserted doesn’t bother me for some reason, but in-person knowing whats going to happen thats a huge nope. :man_shrugging:t2:Its just so built-in fear I have. I might try and do the same thing but with real needles.

Fortunately, I have access to injectable lidocaine.

1 Like

…ohmigosh.

I am surprised that this has been sitting here as long as it has but maybe there are not many people who implantable birth control would be relevant for who frequent these forums :rofl:

Birth control implants are good for 3-6 YEARS. This is not like a trip to the barber or something. I don’t think anyone would bother getting them if you had to go back to the doctor every few months, and the accumulated scar tissue might even begin to affect the efficacy.

It’s also implanted into the underside of the upper arm, an area that is a) far from bones, b) rarely disturbed, and c) quite poorly innervated. Even so, they’re always implanted using injectable lidocaine for pain relief. (Source: I have one.)

I am a pretty active person so sometimes if I am climbing on something and using all kinds of different body surfaces for weight bearing/traction, something will disturb it and it’s not precisely painful, but it is quite uncomfortable! I really want the Apex and am refreshing the info page with a moderate degree of obsession, but the size of this thing is significant, especially for an overall small human like myself. Hard to imagine a Nexplanon-sized object in my hand, especially if it were rigid (which I assume it will NOT be, but still.)

Yeah but on the other hand, with an Apex and a Nexplanon, you’re both a guy magnet and you’re sterile. Wall-to-wall sex and no side effects - the perfect combo! What’s not to love eh?

1 Like

Lol for extra amusement value on all of this, I’m mostly gay. (Though to be fair, the Nexplanon is for the “mostly”.)

Though also if the immediate reaction to anybody talking about XX reproductive health is “SEX???” then maybe I have a guess about why no one else took this conversation on…

1 Like

Sorry, I forgot that in this day and age, one shouldn’t make assumptions no more.

Having said that, the Apex will also make you a chick magnet and bring about wall-to-wall gay sex :slight_smile:

Ya know a lot of people get the Nexplanon for reasons other than sex right?

No I don’t. Can you elaborate? I’m genuinely curious.

It can help with spotting/irregular periods, and other hormone/fertility related problems. And while a more invasive procedure, is less invasive in day to day life than the pill.

1 Like

Yup, what @Compgeek said. It can be helpful with hormonal issues like PCOS and similar issues. It more or less inhibits ovulation and can be a good alternative to other forms of hormonal birth control. Some cause pretty nasty side effects and can differ widely from person to person so it’s good to have options. Here’s a good video showing the install. I have a few friends who have gotten them and found them pretty life-altering. No periods, no worrying about taking a pill, lasts three years before it has to be replaced.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, hormonal birth control are the catch-all for women’s health. It would be nice if we, you know, actually spent research funding in that area of study that affects the health and well-being of up to 51% of the population. Instead the go to is hormonal treatments, which isn’t for everybody. My partner almost died from blood clots in her lungs due to being prescribed birth control for non-reproduction related issues.

That being said, there are a host of health benefits beyond being somewhat baby-proof. Beyond what Compgeek and init said, hormonal birth control can also reduce the likelihood of various cancers, prevent cysts, and mitigate the effects of endometriosis.

3 Likes

Fist gotta say I need to tell my wife about this, she tried the patch a long time ago and got so sick, it was not fun for her at all. Second WTF why don’t we have that awesome injector did you see how easy she did that.

3 Likes

just thought I would add this my partner originally got the nextion or one similar to control periods and cycle etc it wasnt about birth control at all. :slight_smile:

yea can we get an autommagic needle with the apex instead of a boring regular needle?

The Flex needle isn’t boring… I want to get mine epoxied and made into a paperweight

well its certaintly not as neat as the automatic one in the vid…

Nexplanon and the like are 2mm diameter rods (40mm long)… an automatic needle for a flex would be … very very large and not something you should automate without a serious amount of AI and high res infrared cameras to enable vein computer vision and avoidance.

1 Like