Those who are backing the Titan - where are you implanting it?

You could try to get a flexUFO from amal?
(You know, m31 with magic goop in UFO form)

1 Like

I tried. he wasn’t making them anymore at the time. :sob:

Does any current magnet implantee have experience with playing a stringed instrument, or doing sports that strain the fingers like rock climbing?
Would love to hear from you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have enough experience with both activities to be sure I can’t have a magnet on my finger pads.

Don’t need to get to the stage where I regret placing the magnet there to be sure about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also chatted extensively with folks who had from small to big problems because of the magnets on pads and doing those sorts of activities before deciding on my placement options.

I never mentioned I wanted it on a pad. :stuck_out_tongue: I was more interested in placing it on the side of the finger (i.e. laterally on the distal phalanx). I know that on-the-pad placement makes any real hard handwork rather uncomfortable. Presuming the strings are metal, would it still interfere?

Funnily enough, I’m planning on getting one installed in a similar place (proximal phalanx instead of distal, outside of ring or inside of pinkie - whichever my installer thinks is easier :sweat_smile: ). I don’t know how soon you were looking to get it installed, but I’m a somewhat regular climber, so I could report after awhile of healing, but it probably wouldn’t be for month or two.

I would be very grateful :slight_smile:
I don’t have a Titan yet, was planning to purchase one in batch 2, so it will probably take a number of months. Hmmm nice, is that a common placement? I mostly just hear either fingertip or somewhere else. And I don’t want to spend a bunch of $ on a sensing magnet that I then install in a suboptimal place for sensing :sweat_smile:

I think most of us will have to find some sort of compromise… the perfect spot for sensing is the fingertip, and for that placement, the Titan is a) on many fingers, too big (for the side of the fingertip) and b) for many use cases, too “dangerous” (for pad placement). If you have pretty big fingers, the side may work, and if you don’t do heavy work with your hand, the pad may work. But for all other cases I think we have to find a spot with comfortable placement and still decent sensing… I’m still searching for that spot myself :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I will have to do a lot of research and measuring, don’t want to end up with the worlds most expensive fridge magnet :wink:

Me too, I’m considering trying an experimental placement too tho.
The titan can be taken out and reinstalled, so only the install is wasted money.

oh, but I did. :sweat_smile:
Hence why my comments where on that.

on the side of the finger could work. But on on “any” finger and the placement must be very well planned, on a very individual basis.

I made experiments playing a bass wit some magnetic rings and with stronger-than-implantable magnets strapped.

No perceivable interference apart from my finger being tugged to the sides and that messing with my playing a bit. but if I were to play constantly with that, I could train myself to ignore it.

Totally agree with you there!

I think that’s a big drive for so many experimental approaches as well!

I was thinking laterally on middle/ring distal phalanx on non-dominant hand. You know. the classic :slight_smile: :grinning:

I presume you did them with the magnet rings on the “base” of the finger (i.e. proximal phalanx)? Or did you have it near the tip, where it would actually be really close to the strings?

That is a big plus, true, but A.) like Rosco, I don’t particularly enjoy installations and would like to have as few as I can to accomplish my goals :wink: and B.) installation costs are prohibitive (where I live, only a surgeon is allowed to place anything “in” the body [anti-bodymod regulation] and that usually costs upwards of 250 USD - and unfortunately, I don’t have any surgeons in my family :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

nope. used a pinkie ring from my ex, which could barelly get through my first phallanx. :rofl:

So near the tip.

It did add more bulk than an implanted magnet would, and even then I think I could re-learn how to move my fingers around it.

What was a big no-go for me is that I enjoy playing with Slap a lot more…
But mostly the activities such as Rock climbing and PK, which would definitely rely on me adding pressute to my finger pads.

Although a magnet would probably be way helpfull if you’re playing a 0 string bass! :sweat_smile:

The best advice I can give is to tape a small magnet to your finger and give it a go.

Even some apple seeds superglued to your finger should also be a good experiment. You’ll feel the tug/pressure if that portion of your finger would hit/get crushed by something.

A very good way to think. :rofl:

1 Like

That placement sounds veeeery interesting as well… technicaly, the corpuscule density there should be about on par with the fingertip, and if you don’t really want it to use it for lifting, it could be just fine.

I can highly recommend P0 palm side or -0 as we’ve been calling it in the forum. It’s comfortable for sensing and for lifting, you go in through the webbing between thumb and finger which is easily tented, and the implant sits kinda tucked behind the cushiony bit below the thumb keeping it mostly out of the way of things. I have parylene magnets in this positions since about two months ago and im pretty happy with that location. Quick and (relatively) painless needle instal, easy heal.
My titan sits on my finger pad, went in through the side but there simply wasnt enough room there for it I have no difficulties typing, or doing most of my day to day tasks (I say most cause I was playing around with my dog and his tooth caught my finger and it was… unpleasant), turns out I can even still play my acoustic guitar without major issues. I have found that the way I sometimes wear my fingernails (long and sharpened) is more of an issue than the titan.

That does sound like a great placement indeed!!

literally the only downside I can think for it is in case you practice something like Krav Maga! :sweat_smile:

Maybe but I haven’t had many Issues with gripping either. I do ropes and was able to handle ropes and carabiners and rig over 100kg without even noticing the magnet. And the sensing is stellar.

As is @Coma minus the " r " :wink:

2 Likes

You are feeling punny today aren’t you :slight_smile:

4 Likes