2 Likes

Is that from… Mu Mu Land?

(showing my age now, aren’t I?)

2 Likes

Experimentation starts soon…

8 Likes

Ditto, mine arrives in a few days from Amazon…:thinking::thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

I was wondering how noticeable the sensation of the magnet vibrating is from using a magnet in that way?

I am more interested in the idea of using external input to produce a sensation (details).

2 Likes

Well my plan is foiled for now… none of my 9v batteries rattling around in an old box seem to have sufficient charge and my benchtop power supplies are all still packed away from the move… @Cyperpunkjedi do you have yours yet?

3 Likes

probably depends heavily on the frequency response of the amplifier and coil… if you could push a 60hz signal through it with enough efficiency then yeah you probably will get a similar sensation that you’d get from normal consumer electronics powered off mains.

2 Likes

I am definitely tempted to experiment with it… I also am tempted to wait for some of your “shocking” ideas

giphy (16)

4 Likes

I love this idea, imagine this in every finger and VR hand tracking with the force feedback being in your fingers!

2 Likes

Are you planning on trying the device with a magnet screwed to your tooth implant?

I’m eagerly waiting to know how it works for you before going to the dentist :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah… actually I have some devices from a medical manufacturer that are meant for threading into an implant anchor (like the healing cap) but instead have a magnet integrated on top. This is generally for magnetically holding dentures in place… kind of a slick idea… but I definitely wanted to explore this at some point in the past and I just found them… so I’m going to do some measurements and then try to go about making a magnetic screwdriver so I can get this in quickly and test… the gums start closing up the second you take the healing cap out… even 5 minutes later, getting the healing cap back in requires some finessing the gums out of the way.

5 Likes

That is dedication to the cause :+1:

4 Likes

I love the fact that if it works, all the parts are essentially off the shelf: the inductor sold by the goofy Chinese on eBay, the abutment that you can get a dentist to implant, and the magnet that said dentist can order for you and install also.

In short, it would be an easier and “more medical” implantation procedure than a implanting a transponder, because I’m fairly sure it would be a lot simpler to convince a dentist to perform an implant-and-magnet job they’ve done a thousand times than convince a doctor to inject a chip from a manufacturer they’ve never heard of for body augmentation purposes.

If it works… And we’ll know thanks to you because you thought of having an implant put in “just in case”. It takes a geek to think that way when having a tooth pulled out :slight_smile:

If it does, DT you should stock up on the Chinese inductors and sell them - and possibly have them made a bit nicer than a loop of copper wire and a dangling 9V battery connector, and/or with an audio correction circuit if you want to boost this or that audio frequency to get a flatter response with your particular magnet-abutment-jawbone-noggin combo.

I reckon it would be a be a nice addition to the product lineup, and a change from the traditional RFID transponders and transponder-related accessories. Because hey, bio-hacking is more than just implanting RFID transponders.

I’d buy a DT-branded “dental inductor” in a heartbeat.

4 Likes

And then to have the audio downlink channel and place a phone call biohacker-style, a passive RFID microphone on another frequency implanted in another tooth :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There are more pretty modules available, I’ll see if I can find a link brb

Here we go

3 Likes

Nope possible covid shipping delays…:mask:! Changed to May 5th now

20200502_135741|320x500

1 Like

Oh my, I’m getting closer.

The field produced by this one was so much more powerful. The bass shakes the xG3 so much that my ear kinda hurts now, and I can detect it with my sensing magnet from 7cm away. More turns and a better core material helped a lot, but I don’t think scaling up any more is a good idea (or even possible). I’ll have to get smarter.

I’m getting much better oomph out of the bass and lackluster performance on the treble end (great sound quality but poor distance). I have to figure out a way to get higher frequencies to travel farther, and dampen the bass a bit.

5 Likes

Every time I see an update to this, I go more from, “not for me” to “it would work, never get lost ect, maybe I should”

Them I remember I know very little about all this.

And I would likely use them to hang a spoon from at parties.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure this has to do with the frequency response xG3 itself. The inertia of the magnet is high. Think of it as trying to make an overweight kid (like me) stand in one place while you push him back and forth so he sways side to side at a specific frequency… let’s say 1Hz. This is fairly easy because he’s not moving very far and his momentum is not that high… you can easily push him in one direction, cover the distance in half a wavelength without much energy needed, then put in the energy required to reverse his direction and send him back the other way in the required amount of time.

Now imagine that you try to move him from side to side faster, i.e. an increase in frequency… the faster you attempt to move the kid left and then right again, the more energy you need to put into getting him started in one direction, and you need even more energy to slow him and reverse direction… so once he’s swaying, your energy requirement goes way up along with the frequency.

Now imagine instead of making him sway side to side, you’re pushing him to run from one end of the basketball court to the other at the same frequency… this is amplitude (field strength of the electromagnet)… and with amplitude, energy requirements skyrocket… so much so that because of the mass and inertia of the kid (magnet) you’re trying to move, the energy required to get it to move to the desired location in half a wavelength of your desired frequency is extremely high, but then slowing and reversing direction requires even more energy… typically energy you don’t have or can’t efficiently conduct to the target through wire or magnetic field… so you get a “best effort” and you shove that kid left… he stumbles a couple steps to the left… then you shove him with all your might to the right and he stumbles back a few steps… and back and forth with all this effort going in to moving a kid that is simply too heavy to move at the desired frequency with sufficient amplitude. Of course, if the frequency was much lower then sure this could be done… hence you get great bass with the xG3 but shit midrange and high tones are significantly muted… possibly even distorted. I think we need an xG3 for bass and maybe something like an m31 sized magnet for high range to hear good sound at any decent volume.

For a fun experiment you might try using an equalizer to strip all bass and high treble tones out of your source and start with midrange tones at a super low volume in a quiet room… you should hear those tones… then start to crank up the volume (amplitude). You should be able to hear when the inertia becomes too great for the frequency and amplitude and you start to get diminishing returns and eventually severe audio distortion.

5 Likes