Tragus Implants and You (but also me)

Thanks!

Actually, instead of replacing my crown (which cost me $500 and still holds up fine after 25 years), I wonder if there’s room behind the rearmost molars for an abutment. I have a full set of teeth and I’m keen on keeping them all. But I like the idea of being able to screw any old device I want in my mouth myself, like Amal can. That would be a supernumerary tooth of sorts rather than a replacement in my case, if such a thing was possible.

I’ll ask my dentist.

1 Like

sold on ebay and aliexpress as a “spy earpiece”

Only the Chinese… :slight_smile:
Thanks Amal.

2 Likes

2 Likes

What is the silver stuff in the first image? :smiley:

2 Likes

Mu metal

2 Likes

Is that from… Mu Mu Land?

(showing my age now, aren’t I?)

2 Likes

Experimentation starts soon…

8 Likes

Ditto, mine arrives in a few days from Amazon…:thinking::thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

I was wondering how noticeable the sensation of the magnet vibrating is from using a magnet in that way?

I am more interested in the idea of using external input to produce a sensation (details).

2 Likes

Well my plan is foiled for now… none of my 9v batteries rattling around in an old box seem to have sufficient charge and my benchtop power supplies are all still packed away from the move… @Cyperpunkjedi do you have yours yet?

3 Likes

probably depends heavily on the frequency response of the amplifier and coil… if you could push a 60hz signal through it with enough efficiency then yeah you probably will get a similar sensation that you’d get from normal consumer electronics powered off mains.

2 Likes

I am definitely tempted to experiment with it… I also am tempted to wait for some of your “shocking” ideas

giphy (16)

4 Likes

I love this idea, imagine this in every finger and VR hand tracking with the force feedback being in your fingers!

2 Likes

Are you planning on trying the device with a magnet screwed to your tooth implant?

I’m eagerly waiting to know how it works for you before going to the dentist :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah… actually I have some devices from a medical manufacturer that are meant for threading into an implant anchor (like the healing cap) but instead have a magnet integrated on top. This is generally for magnetically holding dentures in place… kind of a slick idea… but I definitely wanted to explore this at some point in the past and I just found them… so I’m going to do some measurements and then try to go about making a magnetic screwdriver so I can get this in quickly and test… the gums start closing up the second you take the healing cap out… even 5 minutes later, getting the healing cap back in requires some finessing the gums out of the way.

5 Likes

That is dedication to the cause :+1:

4 Likes

I love the fact that if it works, all the parts are essentially off the shelf: the inductor sold by the goofy Chinese on eBay, the abutment that you can get a dentist to implant, and the magnet that said dentist can order for you and install also.

In short, it would be an easier and “more medical” implantation procedure than a implanting a transponder, because I’m fairly sure it would be a lot simpler to convince a dentist to perform an implant-and-magnet job they’ve done a thousand times than convince a doctor to inject a chip from a manufacturer they’ve never heard of for body augmentation purposes.

If it works… And we’ll know thanks to you because you thought of having an implant put in “just in case”. It takes a geek to think that way when having a tooth pulled out :slight_smile:

If it does, DT you should stock up on the Chinese inductors and sell them - and possibly have them made a bit nicer than a loop of copper wire and a dangling 9V battery connector, and/or with an audio correction circuit if you want to boost this or that audio frequency to get a flatter response with your particular magnet-abutment-jawbone-noggin combo.

I reckon it would be a be a nice addition to the product lineup, and a change from the traditional RFID transponders and transponder-related accessories. Because hey, bio-hacking is more than just implanting RFID transponders.

I’d buy a DT-branded “dental inductor” in a heartbeat.

4 Likes

And then to have the audio downlink channel and place a phone call biohacker-style, a passive RFID microphone on another frequency implanted in another tooth :slight_smile:

4 Likes