Tragus Implants and You (but also me)

There are more pretty modules available, I’ll see if I can find a link brb

Here we go

3 Likes

Nope possible covid shipping delays…:mask:! Changed to May 5th now

20200502_135741|320x500

1 Like

Oh my, I’m getting closer.

The field produced by this one was so much more powerful. The bass shakes the xG3 so much that my ear kinda hurts now, and I can detect it with my sensing magnet from 7cm away. More turns and a better core material helped a lot, but I don’t think scaling up any more is a good idea (or even possible). I’ll have to get smarter.

I’m getting much better oomph out of the bass and lackluster performance on the treble end (great sound quality but poor distance). I have to figure out a way to get higher frequencies to travel farther, and dampen the bass a bit.

5 Likes

Every time I see an update to this, I go more from, “not for me” to “it would work, never get lost ect, maybe I should”

Them I remember I know very little about all this.

And I would likely use them to hang a spoon from at parties.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure this has to do with the frequency response xG3 itself. The inertia of the magnet is high. Think of it as trying to make an overweight kid (like me) stand in one place while you push him back and forth so he sways side to side at a specific frequency… let’s say 1Hz. This is fairly easy because he’s not moving very far and his momentum is not that high… you can easily push him in one direction, cover the distance in half a wavelength without much energy needed, then put in the energy required to reverse his direction and send him back the other way in the required amount of time.

Now imagine that you try to move him from side to side faster, i.e. an increase in frequency… the faster you attempt to move the kid left and then right again, the more energy you need to put into getting him started in one direction, and you need even more energy to slow him and reverse direction… so once he’s swaying, your energy requirement goes way up along with the frequency.

Now imagine instead of making him sway side to side, you’re pushing him to run from one end of the basketball court to the other at the same frequency… this is amplitude (field strength of the electromagnet)… and with amplitude, energy requirements skyrocket… so much so that because of the mass and inertia of the kid (magnet) you’re trying to move, the energy required to get it to move to the desired location in half a wavelength of your desired frequency is extremely high, but then slowing and reversing direction requires even more energy… typically energy you don’t have or can’t efficiently conduct to the target through wire or magnetic field… so you get a “best effort” and you shove that kid left… he stumbles a couple steps to the left… then you shove him with all your might to the right and he stumbles back a few steps… and back and forth with all this effort going in to moving a kid that is simply too heavy to move at the desired frequency with sufficient amplitude. Of course, if the frequency was much lower then sure this could be done… hence you get great bass with the xG3 but shit midrange and high tones are significantly muted… possibly even distorted. I think we need an xG3 for bass and maybe something like an m31 sized magnet for high range to hear good sound at any decent volume.

For a fun experiment you might try using an equalizer to strip all bass and high treble tones out of your source and start with midrange tones at a super low volume in a quiet room… you should hear those tones… then start to crank up the volume (amplitude). You should be able to hear when the inertia becomes too great for the frequency and amplitude and you start to get diminishing returns and eventually severe audio distortion.

5 Likes

Mine just came in , says it’s in the mailbox.

2 Likes

Works ok, its just weird having the down in your ear canal feeling like it may get stuck. The slam of the big magnet retriever was weird too but it works pretty good. It sounds better when I close my ear hole with my finger.

The slam I mentioned is when the the big magnet pulls the smaller ones out and they click together near your ear drum.

2 Likes

If you bite (lightly) on a magnet, does it work also? Better or worse?

2 Likes

It didnt work. It stops the vibration.

1 Like

Hmm, I didn’t expect that. That’s a bummer… Does it change anything if you bite the magnet very lightly?

1 Like

Let me test more if it vibrates in your fingers it may just clink around on your teeth. There was an old kids toothbrush that played a song…hmm how did that work.

1 Like

Yes in front teeth it worked but I had to bring the coil up to the magnet level. About 1 inch away. Maybe the $500 version will be better than the $20 version.

The 2 small magnets with the large [retriever magnet?]
This between the front incisors.

Like this…

2 Likes

ever so slightly helpful?

5 Likes

Is there an English version ? Lol

1 Like

I tried out my new coil/amplifier combo with the tiny magnets that come with the cheating kit against my eardrum and was able to make out lyrics from 36cm away.

Since we can’t really implant in the ear canal, this might have to remain an on the fly dealie

2 Likes

Haven’t figured out how to*

2 Likes

I found that doubling the coils yields better sound and put them coils around your ear and tripling itnis even more. If worn under your CV19 mask it works too.!

Screenshot_20200522-152617_Gallery|236x500

3 Likes

Well it makes sense: if you push the logic, you end up with a tight coil with thin wire and many turns, and a vibrating magnetic object as close to the strongest parts of the magnetic field - and that’s called a speaker :slight_smile:

1 Like