Tragus Implants and You (but also me)

I’d like to try sewing into a hat like that. Maybe even a speaker yarmulke! There’s probably a niche market for that!

1 Like

Planning to rock out during Temple?

2 Likes

Alright. It’s been a minute I know, but I’m back at it. I was disheartened because even with the crazy mu metal coil I made and the promising results with the small magnets dropped in the ear canal, I wasn’t getting much distance with the tragus xG3. I’ve decided to stop dialing it back and go full bore, so I ordered a 100W Bluetooth amplifier. It’s pretty big. I was hoping for a clip on battery powered deal, not a huge pocket sized jaunt. I just want to prove that this can work without relying on smaller magnets that are unsafe for implantation.

3 Likes

Nah. Even with more than 50W going through a nearly ideal coil I couldn’t get more than 2cm of audible range out of the tragus xG3.

It bumped up to 5cm range when I put my finger in my ear, which was interesting, but still not enough to make it worth it. That squishy spot with such a large magnet just doesn’t seem like a viable location for a wireless earbud.

That being said, the non-implanted tiny magnets in my ear canal worked amazingly well. I could hear music clearly from 40cm and I would have been able to hear mosquito buzzing tones for extrasensory feedback from more than 60cm away on my belt.

If anyone has any constructive proposals I’m all ears. I talked with Amal and a smaller magnet encased in glass won’t solve the issue because the total mass to magnetic mass ratio would be too low.

3 Likes

Exploring a tragus stud earring with a magnet mounted to it. Benefits of a tiny magnet without it having to interact with your precious bodily fluids.

How much would the magnet move? I just wonder about irritating the cartilage/soft tissue and the possibility of it causing irritation to the piercing and/or creating more scar tissue.

Who’s gonna be a guinea pig? Contribute your keloids today!

Just thought I would share this here, from a link Amal put in another thread

A Utah based biohacker named Rich Lee has six implants; one in each ear that serve as headphones, two magnets in two different fingertips for feeling magnetic fields, an NFC (Near Field Communication) chip in his hand for controlling devices and a bio-therm chip in his forearm for monitoring temperature

Now the Headphone gang can do some googling and cyberstalking of Rich Lee

Here is the article link

Rich Lee was the original tragus implant biohacker almost a decade ago

Wasn’t he the guy who wanted to strengthen his bones via biohacking? I have something far in the back of my mind about some material which hardens on impact and about someone who tried to implant that…

unnamed (46)

He’s also the guy the state of Utah wants to take away custody of his children from because he engages in biohacking, iirc.

Ouch… that’s insane.
On the other hand, Utah was the state who banned implants, wasn’t it? Maybe one should avoid that state. Completely.

I lived there long enough to tell you you should avoid it regardless of how they treat implants :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah… There was a group. They wanted to strengthen their bones against sudden impact using biocompatible bladders full of a non-Newtonian fluid similar to one used in high-end motorcycle armors. Wasn’t long term viable because they kept leaking, but it was neat. At least they learned us some valuable lessons about not implanting things in your shins.

Pioneer work :woman_shrugging:
The idea is really nice, and they tried it out so we don’t have to :wink:

And that non-newtonian-fluid is indeed very interesting, would be nice to have a biocompatible version of that…

1 Like

Ummmm…
unnamed (46)

I eat it all the time, that’s pretty bio-compatiable

Hmmm… makes me wonder why I shouldn’t eat my silicone implants or my titanium barbells… they should be biocompatible as well :stuck_out_tongue:

Things that are safe to eat aren’t necessarily safe for other bodily usages. The human digestive tract is in fact very good at making use of nasty harmful stuff.

Case in point: most vape flavorings are just food additives that are classified GRAS and completely harmless when eaten, but a surprising number are know cancorigens when inhaled.

1 Like

I was thinking quite a bit about where to place the Titan, :thinking:
and eventually made the decision (haha, hoping at least) to hear EM fields with it.

Summary

All sorts of crazy ways I was pondering to make it happen, including:
-drilling magnet into the :skull: skull, perhaps somewhere behind the ear,
-sliding it under the skin of the scapha,
-drilling it into the jawbone
-and implanting it in the tragus.

…So I really let my imagination go wild… :upside_down_face:
and tried to think of pros and cons about some of the possibilities, those are open for debate, as alwasys…

Summary

-Drilling into the skull, I think too much material would be above the magnet, that would restrict the sensitivity, also finding a surgeon (perhaps neck, head and ear) willing to do this could be tricky and/or expensive.
-Similar case with the jaw, the magnet might be too deep inside and rather far from the ear drum, although a private dentist could sort it out…at least that’s what I guess.

Keep the magnet close to the :ear: should sound good :bulb: :yum:
despite tragus could be uncomfortable for me:

Summary

I like wearing earbuds, plus one of them been pierced twice—> extra bit of scar = /
I ditched the idea of placing it to the back side of the ear cartilage as it might be unconfortable wile at sleep.

…so either tragus or inner side of the cartlidge, unless drilling in the skull would be feasable.

TBH :skull: would be my preferred choice as the implant could be combined with a nice shape of dermal punch: :star: that I was planning to get for a long while.

Or suggest me better! (Please do!) I am all ears if you have better idea.

The other day I was thinking about the Titan for ear… and I’ve come to the conclusion that putting it inside the tragus probably isn’t the safest or even necessary to achieve the sought-after goal… at least not for my ears.

The green dot area is just as sensitive for sounds when touched by an external object as the tragus and far far easier to insta things there. Not to mention, there may be a small possibility of adding bone conduction to the mix in this location.

3 Likes