Tragus Implants and You (but also me)

… do you mean you pushed / held a magnet there while wearing a loop antenna?

Also, anatomy is not my strength =( Would the magnet be directly above the bone … aka: touching the skull if placed there?… googled it! :nerd_face:

Edit: Also, also… there is a facial nerve somewhere around the green dot as far as I remember. Should it be detected somehow, (maybe injecting lidocain) before attempting to implant there?

Yep, it’s the trigeminus - if you hurt this, it leads to the worst pain I can imagine (I had a neuralgy of that nerve once, and literally woke up screaming in the night because of the pain). So I would be very careful on working there by yourself, though if you find a willing pro, it should be possible.

…Alexa, put it on the Xmas whis list!

300px-Grant_1962_654

Yeah get a pro

I guess placing it in between the two nerves would be the best idea.
Edit: Sensation-wise the placement would be ideal between the nerves. In terms of bone conductivity… I don’t know yet.

I defo need a pro to detect those nerves. If any of you has a suggestion, please don’t hold it back. Even international… Any idea?

I would play it safe and stay subdermal and not go deeper where the nerves would be. I’m pretty sure to get real bone conduction you’d need to be anchored to the bone, or pressed in on it with external pressure, which defeats the purpose.

True, however:
It would look like a spy gadget, if I had to push the magnet against the bone with a finger =)=)=)=).

Edit: before anybody starts beating a dead horse, sure, I agree that earphone is better solution if the magnet needs a push…

I mean, sort of… back when I had my m31 I definitely could put my pinky finger into my ear and hear sound clearly from my pinky finger with a coil around my neck… so if you’re going after that “secret service” or 1950s spy movie look, the finger placement works fine!

I remember you mentioning it before. It totally makes sense, I can hear my blood circulation when I stick my finger in my ear.
This makes me think that being close to the ear canal would be something to consider if vibrating the bone is not an option.
A valid argument would be to stick the magnet directly in my ear, as those kits are sold online anyways.

Putting anything at the tip of my finger freaks me out. (Don’t ask the reason, I can’t rationalise it.)

I’d like an ear magnet to hear clear sound without blocking the ear canal—› w/o restricting noises coming in from outside. Buying a bone conductive headset is an alternative and risk free option. I bought the titan because it was the heat of the moment! I had nothing special in my mind about placement of so, also it is not going to be my first magnet. I might as well try something about hearing the EM, as feeling it got the tick a while ago. (Lifting does not interest me anyways.)
I hope this makes sense. I treat this mod as an experimental (art) project.

Can’t repeat that enough, so close to so many nerves with so many potentially terrible conclusions…

And @amal is also correct about most of the vibrations being wasted on the soft bits before it reaches the skull.

Yet… that does sound pretty interesting, as an experiment.

I would be worried that the implant ends up atop a nerve and pressing on it: even if the nerve isn’t damaged, it might become a problem.

I made up a very easy-to-follow action plan. I share the over simplified version of it:
•Step 1: Get a loop.
•Step 2: Push a magnet against certain areas around the ear.
•Step 3: Take a note of locations that giving results. I.e.: sound.
•Step 4: Evaluate those locations.
•Step 5: Implant accordingly.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it has any feasibility, but how does ferro fluid react to the loops, and if it is contained does it make noise?

That’s an interesting idea. I have some, I’ll have to try it out.

Just as an update for everyone. I had my tragus xG3 removed on 2021-01-08 and replaced with a smaller but more powerful magnet from Cassox. This week I’m going to test it out with my existing hardware from earlier experiments.

2 Likes

What was the xG3 removal like, out of curiosity? I’ve seen videos of x Series removals done before on the hands, but it seems much easier to “squeeze” the implant out on something like a hand, vs the tragus. Seems like it’d be a lot more painful, too.

Big fucking magnet wrapped in a glove. Once a small incision was made the xG3 shot right out like a bullet

2 Likes

Jesus, that sounds intense. Was there any pain, or was the xG3 smooth enough to just slip out with little feeling?

Not when you’re on ice :wink:

1 Like

Sorry to revive this, but did you ever test the Cassox? If yes, how does it compare to the xG3?

2 Likes

Yes, thanks for the bump.

I was able to test the cassox double magnet, and it was the worst so far. I was hoping they would work in conjunction to create a larger magnetic bubble to be vibrated, but they ended up containing each other’s fields.

I decided to switch that magnet out for an xG3 v2, but it was from the early batches that were unlabeled so I mixed it up and accidentally implanted another xG3 v1 :woozy_face:.

During that same session @NiamhAstra got a resin coated m31 prototype installed in her tragus, and we both tried it out. Great sound quality, but the range even with a 50W transmitter and my mu metal coil was lackluster. I ended up giving her my audio equipment so she could continue experimenting.

Next steps for me are to get my second xG3 v1 removed and replaced with an actual v2. Then I’m going to start experimenting with a belt transmitter that runs off of 6S 18650 batteries and a 100W transmitter. I’ll work mu metal into the belt construction, and the much larger coil should allow for much more flux. I’ll keep you posted

2 Likes