Two circular implant ideas: could they work?

On that note, if someone wanted to build something implantable would it be possible to get it encapsulated by DT? If so what sort of constraints would there be?

* Googles how to git gud at surface mount soldering *

possibly yes… z-height is a major concern, but i can also apply some filler resins to smooth out the “skyline” of the pcb. try to keep overall thickness to 1.5mm max if possible (flexpcb not fr4)… and we can try it.

1 Like

Hmmm, @NiamhAstra let’s talk

1 Like

It is all perspective. Worst thing I have lived through, recovery also.

In my mind, I feel like it was outragous, only because the doctors blew me off and didn’t take me serious.

It all started when I put a mid drive 1000 watt kit on my mountain bike. This one Programmed for Hot Rod use. so it peaks at about 1350 on average. I was doing about 30mph when I slipped on gravel, and slid for several feet after a flip. I think. I can’t honestly tell you what happened as it was over quick, and the pain made me just check myself first. Yes I had a helmet on, and no I did not hit my head.

Pictures will be attached when I edit from my phone, I will try to put them in the right places.

So After that I realized nothing was broke, I applied pressure to the bleeding areas until it stopped. I picked up the parts to my bike, and headed home. I walked about 1.5 miles home, and my wife looked at me and asked why I didn’t call. I took some ibprofin, and smoked the green, and drink the pain away. The next day, I had a huge hematoma on my leg. I also had a puch of fluid forming that happened when I fell. I did not know what it was at the time, so I went to the primary doc that day and they xrayed me. My leg was on fire yall. I have been through some shit, but I woke up crying for days because of my leg. I couldn’t sleep, if I would roll in the night, I would feel my skin tearing apart again. It was tourture like. I lived like that, doped up with hydrocodon, and after a few more days, I went to the ED. I couldn’t take the pain any more and the pouch of fluid was 4 inches wide, and 7 long by this point.

The ED told me to wrap it with pressure, but they wouldn’t drain it. Those fucks didn’t even palpate it. So they wrapped it and it hurt like hell, so once I left, I cut the wrap off, and felt much better. There was no way a wrap would help. I schduled another appointment for the next day, about 1 week after the accident, for my primary.

I walked in there, and said if you don’t drain this, I will. They drained it, and put a wrap around it. It felt so much better. It slowly filled up over another week, and so I drained it, because I ain’t paying for them to do something I can do at home just as sterile as they did in the office. My wife helped me. I drained about 1 and ahalf cups of fluid outta my leg. I wrapped it and it felt better.

3.5 weeks after the wreck, it kept filling up and being painful so I had a consult with Surgical. They took me in, and scanned me. I had Morel-Lavallée lesion: A closed degloving injury that requires real attention and they had me in surgery the next morning as first case.

I had a dudes fist in me, and 23 staples, 3 sutures, and a JP wound thing for 2 months. I could hardly walk, as they wanted me immobile so the skin would quit tearing away from each other. I had to empty the suction thing, and it was just weird. I still have nerve damage from it all, as when they cut down, they nicked some, along with what I had damaged, so I can only feel deep pressure and pain on my thigh now.

I would say it was outrageous, only because I couldn’t sleep for a while after that also. Pictures might be attached in no particular order, if I feel like moving them later I will. I just am not getting back on my computer after this for a bit.

Long story short,

As long as there is nothing to keep them from joining. I had fluid in the way. I think the area in the middle would be a good idea, where as, if say a pegleg is in for 7 years, and it has to be taken out because it broke internally, you would essentially have a morel lavelle leasion I feel. The skin internally would have already been healed aroud it, so would you need surgical intervention?

4 Likes

man that’s rough… sorry they fucked around with you on that. thanks for the full story.

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

Yeah it was shit. Never wrote it out before.

2 Likes

I think it is funny to say, my wife doesn’t agree. I used to work in the OR, so I know(or have a pretty well educated guess) what they did to me.

1 Like

Okay. I didn’t realize it did. My entire line of thinking was to avoid detaching it in the first place. So… nevermind then :slight_smile:

Count me in. Why this chip in particular, out of curiosity?

I didn’t even know that existed. I always thought degloving was something nasty that exposed your insides. So it also exists in a version where you don’t see your insides. Interesting…

You learn something new every day. Just for that, I’m glad I started opened this thread.

1 Like

Yep! Don’t know if I’d be interested in getting one (haven’t even got a flex as yet - but definitely will for Apex) but would be very interested in seeing the results (both in terms of range vs flex and healing)

I bought a bunch just to sell as stickers because they had great performance…

Looking promising…

You know, if you aren’t interested in the … hmm … the flexNeXT?

4 Likes

I think I just figured out Amal’s business model:

“Hey man, could I implant X Y or Z?”
Pulls out tag X-acto knife and silicone spray can “There ya go son.”

Or, additionally:

“Are you sure that thing will withstand shocks and bumps?”
Pulls out hammer and webcam “Yep. Here’s the video.”

:slight_smile:

More seriously, this is really cool. Do you plan on sticking it to a stiff backing before coating it, to make the implant somewhat rigid (if only to be able to slide it inside the pocket without deforming it)?

I know they’re pretty tough when they’re stuck on something: that tag is the exact same kind our security company sticks on every window at work, and they’re almost impossible to peel off. They’re also surprisingly hard to disable even with a sharp knife - I know, I tried :slight_smile: But as a standalone device, it’s paper-like and it looks fragile.

Nah man, that’s more like what Lepht was doing :laughing:

feel-seen

Not at all… the photo above is just the inlay… very thin floppy PET plastic… the biopoly isn’t applied yet, and once it is, I am pretty sure it will be rigid enough to handle basically whatever you want to do. It might fold and flop a little, but your artist should be able to flatten it out once under the skin to ensure proper healing. They would need to be really sure they made enough of a pocket… the device will be 40mm diamater once finished, so they will need to separate a lot of tissue and make sure there is no tension on the horizontal plane from tissue that hasn’t been properly separated, or you might get folds and waves and bumps.

Those must be something else… something made for the purpose of placing in such situations. I know there are inlays that are then put inside very thick PET plastic… like pop bottle plastic (that’s PET)… which is rigid and hard to cut… but that’s only special inlays for special situations… almost all other inlays, this bullseye tag included, are on 0.1mm or thinner PET films and they are very very flexible. The antennas are printed on with special silver or aluminum ink as well, so they flex with the PET, making it interesting to stick to curved surfaces etc… but you can probably rip it in two with your bare hands if you really really wanted… they are pretty fragile.

At 40mm in diameter, it’s likely to end up in a curved position. There aren’t many flat body surfaces of that scale - that would be an interesting implant location anyway. I’ll be curious to see tne final result.

agree… which is another reason the cutouts would be important… to allow more flexibility so the entire thing can curve more easily.

If the centre is going to reattach removal may be interesting. Would it just be a matter of reseperating the tissue?

just a lot of slicing and scarring, that’s all.

1 Like

Last night I found out what happens when you can see it. Had a small accident, and punctured and bruised my leg. 5 hours in the emergency room and 2 stitches.

This text will be blurred