UHF Scanner on KickStarter

Try to read a UHF tag through ~3mm of damp brown sugar in a plastic bag.

4 Likes

What did you just call me?! :angry:

:crazy_face:

4 Likes

What will you use for your tests?

I’m currently waiting on a Proxmark and a Flipper but I’m guessing that neither of them read UHF, right?

The UHF reader that sparked my curiosity and prompted this post doesn’t write so seems limited and the handheld UHF readers I found sold by a UK company www.tsl.com start at about £1,200 GBP so, despite being fascinated by this branch of RF, my curiosity doesn’t have that fat a wallet!

A meatbag, Satur9 called you a meatbag!

:robot_windows:

3 Likes

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14066

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14131

1 Like

giphy

8 Likes

Just parachutted here and wondered…

Has no-one shoved a tag deep inside a gammon joint and then tried to use it?

I do like the moist bworn sugar test, but a piece of steak is less destructive (if you eat meat)…
Unless you fancy eating a full bowl of brown sugar! :unicorn_nom_nom:

I can do that but don’t have any UHF RFID stuff.

:yum:

1 Like

Mythbusters would often use pork as human analogs for ballistics, I wonder how close is their skin to ours for the purpose of implanting?

Just FYI
Gammon = Pork
as mentioned by Eyeux

Just to quanitfy, im sure with the right reader and right tag, a UHF tag could be read through skin, but my statement was more around a “practical” sized uhf tag that could be encapsulated and implanted.

I do, and I also want to do some testing, I just need the stars to align

3 Likes

Yup that’s where the disconnect came from, thanks for teaching me something today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also pork is a great analog for practicing suturing on

1 Like

Yeah, I meant to test that!

That one’s on me, on using “British” english! :sweat_smile:

There’s this old saying about somewhere in the Pacific ocean Islands where humans are addressed as “Long Pigs” by anyone hungry enough…

3 Likes

Hmmmmm, we used to have a UHF reader at work but it might have been shipped as part of sales demo gear, I might be able to ‘borrow’ it to do some testing. We have some supposedly pretty hardy ‘laundry’ UHF tags that are meant to last 200-400 washes+ so they might work?

How small do they need to be?

how big of an inlay do you want to implant?

2 Likes

That reminded me of this joke:

5 Likes

I did some tests.
In free air, in the right orientation, I get >12" read distance.
Just laying the tag on a hamburger reduces the range to 2"
Sandwiching in between two burgers does not seem to further reduce the 2" read range.

2 Likes

Are you saying my bodily tissue resembles ground beef?

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

precious beefily fluids

1 Like

It’s what was for dinner. I could use pork chops tomorrow. lol.

1 Like