Upper Arm Self Install?

:boom: :bullettrain_front:

:pensive: Sorry ( as I continue to derail
 )

5 Likes

I think the core here is that a phone is not meant to be listening to you. Alexa is.

Although I do get your point. But for me

If I want privacy, I can just take the batteries off my phone, or leave it in another room.
With Alexa this isn’t so simple.

Also, please correct me if this has changed, but on the terms and conditions from when I read into it, to use alexa I needed to consent with my voice being used to drive further improvement.

That makes perfect sense, since you want to run my samples against a machine learning algo so the whole service improves to everyone.

Yet this also means you do have all my conversations stored in a server somewhere.

(not sure if it is still like that on the terms and conditions though. it’s years that I’ve looked into it.)

ps: I’m using a “generic” you. not you you. :yum:

1 Like

So not an expert on the legal side of things and [insert lengthy and boring disclaimer about these being my personal opinions and understandings and not representing amazon beliefs or anything else]

You can opt out of voice recording, although it is not just to improve the product it should also improve it for like you directly as I understand it. You can also remove voice clips etc if you do have recording enabled. This help article seems to back that up

On this note, you can unplug the echo device or go to a different room from the device all the same? It also has a physical mute button.

This is also untrue, the device has a system called the wake word engine, it is a small specialized voice recognition engine that runs locally, only when you say the selected wake word (by default “Alexa”) will it transmit data to the server, the blue light on the device will always light up when it is doing this. So only conversations following the wake word and for a max time of like 15 seconds (Cant recall the exact time) should ever be transmitted to the servers.

One last thing to add that I guess sums it up:

I do not think you should trust a company to look out for you but I do tend to trust them to look after themselves. Large scale recording of all conversations that at that scale would be very costly even just to store let alone to try process and if it was leaked that a company did that it would be a nightmare for them. I am more worried about a malicious entity hacking them than amazon personally. But in the grand scheme of things it is not a significant part of my personal threat model rn.

The only thing that may constitute an endorsement is that as someone who is privy to the inner workings of the tech and the company I have 8 of them personally, not like dev units for work, 8 that I purchased myself and use daily.

3 Likes

That is the core logic behind any of my serious assessments about whether or not to trust a company.

Also, those points I raised were more about reasons to thw “why” you asked than personal reasons.

I do use aws quite extensively (although only comfortable because I do control the entry node. wouldn’t be the same thing with Alexa)

My solution to this with any IOT gadgets I have is that if it needs internet access, isolated vlan with wan and any other devices it needs (So like all Alexa’s sharing a vlan along with the fire TVs etc) and if it doesn’t need internet access (but might try call home) its on an isolated vlan with no internet access and can only talk on the ports I expect to my home automation server.

3 Likes

What do you mean by “double glove” in this instance? When I first read those words, I thought you meant wearing 2 pairs of gloves, but when I read the rest of the sentence, it sounds like you’re meaning something entirely different. Because you say “if”, which would mean that you can’t “insert to the pop” without doing the previous step, so I’m very confused about what this step is.

1 Like

You read it right. I mean two pairs of sterile gloves on.

You are also right on the second part. It is tied into the rest of our conversation. Look further up about the clamp on my arm. We were attempting to think of sterile ways to do stuff.

1 Like

Oh, okay. Thank you for explaining. And yes, I read the rest of the conversation. I like very much the paper clamp idea, since I don’t have forceps, but do have new paper clamps, & the means to sterilise them. It was very interesting, and informative to read through this post’s replies.

1 Like

two sterile gloves at the same time seems unnecessary, much like 2 condoms at the same time :laughing:

1 Like

It’s more for how sterile you want to be.

I guess I didn’t figure I would sterilize the paper clip thing. So one glove could get “dirty” and you could have a fresh under in case you needed to manipulate things.

2 Likes

Double gloving is sometimes practised with invasive surgeries, and is documented as reducing infection risk, both to the OR personnel, and to the patient (though mostly done to protect the staff).

Gloves (and condoms you mentioned), are not perfect, sometimes they break, sometimes they get micro-tears, and other perforations (which are quite common). So having 2 on, means less risk of whatever is on your hands, entering the surgical site. Here’s a study about it.

And, because the “I know where my hands have been” / “I scrubbed in” counter-points are often thought of, it’s worth while to consider this story, and the doctor was likely entirely unaware of the herletic whitlow on his finger.

Granted, these installations arent so involved, but more safety is certainly nice.

Just a spare 2 cents ere:

Even tough this is a valid practice, It isn’t a good Idea to do that with any kind of glove.

Many of the cheap “sanitary latex gloves” you can buy for regular stuff (such as tattooing, applying home injections, etc) are actually too thin or coated in weird powders, which makes it so that on double gloving you might cause one (or both) of them to burst and not even notice that.

So
 yeah, it can be efficient, but make sure you have high quality gloves first.

Otherwise just make sure you have the sanitary cuff fold so you can safely replace gloves you used for touching dirty surfaces/clamps.

My tattooist, and I use the same gloves that are used in hospitals, made by 3M. Nitrile, uncoated gloves, because powder is irritating, some people are allergic to latex, and they’re good quality.

As for thickness of the gloves, Idk that this would make much of a difference, since it’s more about elasticity, because if a glove with very little stretch gets caught up, then it’s more likely to tear whilst you’re putting it on. But even so, if the gloves were cheap, and ripped easily, then it wouldn’t be a problem, because if they ripped whilst you’re putting them on, then you can just toss the ripped one(s), and get a new glove.

Anyway, it seems weird that you acknowledge that it’s valid practice, then say that it’s not good to do with any kind of glove (cheap, or otherwise) in the same sentence.

1 Like

It is a valid practice =

• There is nothing wrong with the act in itself. May even be proven to yield better results than alternative practices (in certain conditions).

it’s not good to do with any kind of glove =

• Depending on the quality/type of gloves used it might backfire, leaving you more exposed to risk/contamination instead.

Given that this is a forum where people come in silently, read stuff, then go around and try to replicate it
 I find it quite important to make that mention.

If such a reader goes about with surgical grade gloves, then Double Gloving is a valid practice (i.e. may work well in its favour despite being unnecessary in many scenarios)

but if a reader just grabs default generic latex gloves
 then it would be much safer to not double glove, since in such case it might end up with fissures and bursts in the gloves which it might not even realise.

1 Like