Using xG3 to add a digital sense

I was thinking about @Vicarious’s “subdermal mono headphone” implant (post here) and the North Sense implantable compass.

You should be able to essentially add a “digital sense” by doing exactly what @Vicarious did but putting the implant in a more touch sensitive area or perhaps somewhere close to a convenient point for the external coil. Then if you transmit a vibration or waveform in sync to something some sensor most of the time and theoretically you could end up with a “choose your own sense”

I can think of so many things you could sync it to a:

• compass (like the North Sense) to develop a internal sense of direction
  • clock to develop a accurate internal clock
  • any part of the electromagnetic spectrum so you could feel those fields
  • silent phone notification essentially a remote “vibrate”
  • various sensors like pressure, humidity, air quality
  • Morse code style communication
  • any web data feed
  • etc…

I don’t have any magnet implants yet so I don’t have much practical insight, so this could all be sleep deprived crazy talk :crazy_face:

The main unanswered questions I see is:

• What implant locations would work best for this kind of application?
  • Would an xG3 actually be able to act as a sense over time, like some people experience with sensing magnets?
  • Would you need to keep the external device on you 24/7 to not mess with this new sense.
  • Would you retain some of the senses such as the compass if you stopped using the device after a long period of constantly being aware of your heading.

What do you people think?

7 Likes

I would love something that could help me develop a sense of direction that’s less invasive and problematic than North Sense for sure haha

3 Likes

My first thought was the sensory humunculus for some placement ideas.

Basically, anywhere with a large collection of nerve endings, specifically corpuscles.

2 types I can think of Meisners and ?Pacman? (something like that), they both react to different frequencies… let me do some googling and I’ll be right back

UPDATE

• Meissner’s corpuscles vibrations around 50 Hz
  • Pacinian corpuscles about 200–300 Hz

3 Likes

Yeah finding somewhere that is sensitive will be great but it also has to be somewhere that is easy to remotely excite. So limbs would not be great. Maybe armpits or nipples? :thinking:

2 Likes

I had no idea that there where nerves that respond to frequencies differently… thank you for triggering some additional research for me.

4 Likes

4 Likes

From just holding the magnet that is included in package you can feel vibrations but it is just that vibrations. Yes you may need a specific audio track to start learning to understand the vibrations but it is a very rudimentary experience. I have the magnet that is encapsulated in glass but it only respond when the included magnets are stuck to it. No vibrations at all alone. Will test more today.

2 Likes

I want this too.
“Sensing” should be kinda easy if you put a custom device next to it?
Even if vibrations are hart to make, wouldn’t usual magnets pulling each other be easy to feel?
How could such a device work/look?

I’ve been working on something very similar for quite a long time now, I will pm you the project description :wink:

1 Like

If you don’t mind I would like to know aswell

@Az_F just started shipping out the first batch of Loadstones that can be used with magnet implants. It’s a pretty cool project to check out!

It’s used with his app you can check out here as well!

1 Like

@invalid_signal 's reply sums it up pretty well (thanks :wink:) . I will add that this project is the culmination of multiple years of casual and professional R&D so if you’re looking for that content it’s all here:

Also my long term plan is to develop different form factors for the Loadstone which hopefully will address most of the ideas mentioned in the original post here.

2 Likes