UV tattoos and borging up

That’s totally fair. I didn’t mean to imply that phosphorescent inks could never be safe. I was just trying to clarify for Coma that the ones with a history of being unsafe that she was thinking of were specifically the phosphorescents.

The Europium doped Strontium Aluminate powders (SrAl2O4:Eu) are some of the most phosphorescent materials commercially available right now. That’s what Cassox is using in his resin glow dots and what Amal has been testing out on some LED implants. It may also be mixed in to the silicone in Sammpa’s glow inserts. I’m not sure about its biocompatibility, but as with most things it’s probably a little bit of harm over a long period of time. I’m willing to take risks with that kind of stuff.

Really cool that you had some success mixing a viable ink out of it. Since it’s a ceramic you might be able to bake it to sterilize before mixing the ink. Are you thinking you’ll try again some day?

2 Likes

well damn, that looks like it has some fun potential! i’d love to augment my tattoos with some flair like that - im not shy of needles - i have 20+ tattoos - i could see me getting bored and just injecting that stuff into me for kicks :smiley:

Yeah i’ll try to pick up research on that ink again but i probably need to get in tough with a tattoo ink manufrakturer and their experiance to get something proper out of it.

Alright then xD So the washing was done in a container with a screw lid. It was filled to a degree with the solution for washing and then shaken vigorously for a minute. After that i would let it settle out for a few minutes and then the exess liquid was decanted off into a seperste container. i first washed it a few times with 90% isopropyl alcohol, then multiple times with sterile saline solution. As a last washing (for the ink tries) i used prontolind desinfectant and after decanting it off i filled it again with it for storage. I prepared the powder for scarification rubbing a bit differently. I first washed once with isopropyl alcohol, then a few times with sterile saline solution and then twice with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol from the pharmacy. After that i would spread it out in a sterile container and dry it there. Afterwards i’d check the washing solutions to see if something washed out. Strontium aluminate is very resistent to heat (up to 800°c without lost of phosphorescent properties.) so using an autoclave sterilisation should work. Everything on your own risk. Oh and please ton’t use strontium aluminates from ebay. Often it’s just relabled zinc sulfide on there.

3 Likes

Please do. PLEASE DO! :smile:

This looks really amazing on your arm, and I can imagine it being a way to achieve my “bioluminescence”… But I would love to be able to use it like regular tattoo ink, for it would allow for finer lines and shapes.

Since no tattoo ink is ever FDA approved for human (!) use, this makes no difference at all :wink: If you could convice a tattoo ink manufacturer that this is a more-or-less safe way to get real glow-in-the-dark tattoos, I guess there will be quite a lot of interest!

May I ask how your arm looks in broad (day)light? Is the ink visible or nothing at all? And how long does it glow (depending on the “charging time”, of course)?

I have no idea how Steve Haworth makes his implants glow, gonna do some research on it…
For the time being, it was enough for me to know it was basically safe :smile:

edit: Did anyone ever try to add LumiNova to tattoo inks or something similar? If I get it right, they are based on strontium aluminate, available in different colours and can easily be bought online… (not cheap, but…^^)

3 Likes

It’s not always visible. Mostly when i go from a room with much light to a darker room. In pitch dark you can see it still the next morning after charging up in the evening. Directly after charging the dot on my hand i get enough light out of it to read under the blanket for half an hour. It’s not alot of light though.

So in theory bioluminescent tattoos would be possible with some research. It would be like a gene therapy using a virus that can’t replicate so it doesn’t spread and only works where it’s injected under the skin but it adds a part to the affected cells dna that makes your cell produce two substances that react with each other and create bioluminescence (maybe even triggered through hormones like melatonin in your blood). The thing is there is not quite enough research yet and when you do an error in creating the dna string it can lead to the death of the affected cells. This will probably not be a thing for the next years exept i somehow convince a few friends that work with genes to try around with this idea in a petri dish.

Oh alright then. I’ll see what i can do but i don’t know if there are any even close to where i live.

I’m trying to get my hands on different glow in the dsrk pigments based on strontium aluminate to see which one is the best. Alot of people say lit is but i didn’t buy it yet. The same goes for luminova. You will probably have a similar problem like me though that it will sink to the bottom very quick when it’s not moved around constantly. I’d love to see your results though if you try

2 Likes

That’s really amazing! My implant glows for about 5-6 hours, I’d guess, at least in summer times :wink:

I’m not sure if I’m that daring…
I highly doubt my tattoo artist would support me here (it might ruin his reputation and his machines^^), and self-injecting that stuff… hmm… dunno.
I read quite a bit about LumiNova, simply because the colours are amazing and the stuff is pretty non-toxic, and I read that it has some problems when exposed to water (some kind of corrosion, in a way). So it might be necessary to encapsulate the pigments somehow… I think I lack the knowledge to do something like that.

Is that similar to the way glowing cats and mice are made? Never saw it “applied” to single areas, it was always a full-glowing mouse or something the like^^ But sounds interesting, for sure… if this would be “mostly” safe, I’d be willing to try it out…

It’s not the same. After all those changes on cats and mice are made when they’re still a single cell. Also the glow comes from fluorescent proteins so it’s not bioluminescence. Also it’s not save at all yet since it hasn’t been attempted. A similar approach with the non replicating virusses was used by TheThoughtEmporium to get rid of his lactose intollerance. He just made cells in his guts produce lactase through gene therapy and it worked. The implants from Steve Haworth look like they use glow in the dark pigment aswell mixed into some resin or silicone.

Yep, it is. Silicone with glowing pigments and an extra layer of transparent silicone around it. Works great :wink:
Sadly, there are only two shapes available, and only one colour… so I’m open for other ideas^^

There are better ways, but basically viruses have a mechanism to inject their DNA into cells. That mechanism can be used to deliver whatever custom DNA you order from a lab into existing cells (somatic). You could use that to create localized bioluminescence in the skin, but the cells wouldn’t divide with the gene (for safety) so in a relatively short time they would all die off and you would need to start over. Glowing mice were modified before conception (germline) to have changes to all the cells they would ever have.

:open_mouth:

Actually, that is not impressive at all…
My tablet screen is backlit I can read under my blankets for hours on end

:open_book: :flashlight: :wink:

2 Likes

Well yeah a backlit screen is superior no doubt about that but it doesn’t quite look as cool. Anyways… i thought i’d show off my collection so far of different Phosphors that would be usable for tattoo ink in throry. The right row is all different varieties of strontium aluminate. On the left 3 different varieties of zinc sulfide. Even though zinc stlfide glows brighter under direct uv light the decay time for the light is quite short. Also zinc sulfide is not biocompstible since it decays in water or acidic solutions.

This is under direct uv light. and this is the afterglow

12 Likes

This is my new tattoo near walletmor

17 Likes

That’s fucking awesome
I’m getting this on my left inner wrist in a couple days… while I’m there in swapping out a xg3v1 for a v2
I wanna look into some uv

5 Likes

Well that’s beautiful

Hi,

Hey Looks super cool! :smiley: How did you do that or what tattoo ink did you use for it?
Is this permanent?

thanks, yes it is a normal permanent tattoo, the brand of ink I used is “bloodline” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.
I was just looking at the ink you use and I immediately came across other brands, do you have any experience with them or do you know the differences of the brands below?

• Bloodline UV Tattoo Ink
  • USA Nuclear UV Tattoo Ink
  • Moms Nuclear UV Tattoo Ink
1 Like

Any and all info would be appreciated,

I’m getting a tattoo tomorrow and I’m tempted to incorporate some uv into it

3 Likes

the first on your list is the one I used for mine, I don’t know the others because here in Italy (where I live) these inks are illegal.