Vcard on xSIID done!

I just self implanted the xSIID chip and it went smooth.

This chip will permanently hold my
vcard website.

This was the only way I found to share my VCARD info with iPhone users.

5 Likes

Congrats!
Can you explain a little how you handle VCARD for iphone users?
From what I know iPhone wonā€™t automatically open VCARD data from NFC chip. iPhone only automatically opens links, right?

So I presume your chip contains a link to www.yourdomain.com/yourinfo.vcf that shows your info. Is that right?

The way I did it was I made a website where all my info is displayed. There is a vcard download button for an actual file download.

4 Likes

Thank you for the clarification.
Were you able to save downloaded VCARD file on an iPhone?
I tested this and it seems iPhone only shows VCARD data downloaded from the internet. Thereā€™s no button to save that data.

Did you have the same experience?
Thanks
Fran

1 Like

Do most people even know what VCards are?

No experience with iPhones here. I will see if I can test it on my buddyā€™s iPhone later today.

You are right! ,
How can I better rephrase that for people that donā€™t know what a vcard is?

This is most likely just a conversation starter, I really donā€™t expect it to be a replacement for a business card.

From my experience, there are too many variables,

Androids: donā€™t have NFC enable in settings

iPhones : only new ones read NFC in the background .

The other main issue is people have bulky cases that interfere with the reading.

Thank you for confirming this.

I never thought about that. How about ā€œdigital business cardā€?

1 Like

Good description probably a better name for it.
Pretty sure vCard stands for Virtual Contact cardā€¦ hence the .vcf ā€¦ hmmm the f???.. wait oneā€¦ Virtual Contact File (thanks Wikipedia)

2 Likes

Also speaking in terms of slang if you offer someone your Vcard you might get someā€¦ interesting reactions.

5 Likes

virtual contact file

Haha, yep

blind

5 Likes

my implant has a url that points to a website , in that website I have a link to the .vcf file. The iPhone is able to open that file and save it In phones contacts.

1 Like

I do the same. I have a page specifically for those who scan. On it is my VCF for download, social media links, and a blurb about the chip with link to DT. Works perfectly on iPhone and user can save the VCF as a new contact.

2 Likes

andā€¦

Iā€™d love to see these pages, if you feel like DMing the URLs to meā€¦

Iā€™m mainly interested in knowing what sort of data and features people want to see on these ā€œpersonal landing pagesā€ā€¦ I will be taking a second look at the VivoKey profile pages again soon and see about sprucing them up a bit. Any ideas are welcome!

3 Likes

Always evolving and looking how to improve existing thingsā€¦ That is why you are the best-est :+1:

2 Likes
  • A mobile number field

• The ability to choose an icon for links and optionally display a name with the icon (my website link shows as a ā€˜homeā€™ logo and blends in so well that it doesnt really look like a link)

• A ā€˜save to contactsā€™ button that downloads the data as a Vcard.

• I understand there are technical limitations on this, but an iOS app so I can stop borrowing my brothers phone!

3 Likes

So whatā€™s the latest best way to try to do a vCard for iOS?

Did you ever get the link to cloud vcard to save on iOS?

Iā€™m playing with self-contained vcards (with all the data in the vcard, not involving a URL) with my name, phone number, email and a photo. Turns out, the photo really isnā€™t too bad for the purpose of sticking a small image next to an entry in a cellphone address book. It takes a while to find the right crop, size and JPEG compression, but the result is surprisingly good.

Here for instance, my vcard, with my ugly mush in 40x40 and 524 bytes:

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Noname;Rosco
TEL:+123 45 678 9012
EMAIL:foo@bar.com
PHOTO;ENCODING=BASE64;TYPE=JPEG:/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEBLAEsAAD/2wBDAAsHCAkIB
 wsJCQkMCwsNEBoREA8PECAXGBMaJiIoKCYiJSQqMD0zKi05LiQlNUg1OT9BREVEKTNLUEpCT
 z1DREH/2wBDAQsMDBAOEB8RER9BLCUsQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQ
 UFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUH/yQARCAAoACgDASIAAhEBAxEB/8wACgAQEAUBEBEF/9oAD
 AMBAAIRAxEAPwDSooVF8wepGjUAuiyvgNwcB2ZwUfukbRM1mm7UD+XrQ5SD3699/k4gQlCZg
 PxCh9GqIQ1pWEKahUszrCVM/ZH5vnxsJTa/wNGpKqB3vUe5Ru0XXfEeuHSHTl90Ohsz/wCyt
 D8YRncGf+ryC+W9lEY8pA96j3k9jdzm/wDeMYAnFGs/TfI6jYJDPKD/AAm0YhfkYI85gYftg
 H1igqzYFKB0UhBr9Fglujcj5nqH5OHzsmvtRepjIMA9llavLFPG1oZhbKVeW7vUeEEbU4luh
 waUOEdvq555a0+rgBRuXDGK47Om6+bz1qdbHAd44QdBPFTtRwiKqvkfjIydR4sCTEUTkUXgK
 /8ASA0dYyK8MMk1vjspvcsmuN7LegC/vEMw8s8CdFm8yf5dTIxDnF8u3vV9kovXypcfKTshO
 hGz5KGA/9k=
END:VCARD

It fills a NTAG 216 almost to the brim, but it works. However, I noticed that if I put a photo AND a URL, Android freezes when it reads the tag :slight_smile: