Virtual Cyborg Meet-Up space :Robot:

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Virtual Reality Equipment :dark_sunglasses:

I got a vive Pro, I tend to use steam vr and viewport I’ve downloaded altspacevr and am planning to have a look at setup / play tonight :slight_smile:

Username: DevilClarke

1 Like

The easiest way to not get sick in VR is to not “walk” around in the space, but “teleport”… gliding around like one would in a 2D video game works fine in 2D but 3D makes your brain eventually conclude you are moving without any of the inner ear action that is normally associated with forward movement… and you get sick. Teleporting is moving in small jumps, and your brain has no expectation of forward movement… it’s a bit visually jarring but no sickies.

1 Like

Added!

1 Like

This is been the thing since the start of VR, many formats have been trying to share with non-VR users the experience of being inside virtual reality.
I saw videos after videos, reviews, etc, etc. So I felt I kinda have an idea, but the first moment I jumped inside VR I can tell you, it was absolutely nothing compared to what a flat screen was showing, the sense of presence due to the motion sensors, the depth of traveling inside a larger than yourself environment is something that is not completely assimilated by someone who has never tried it before. The more time you can be inside there, you start to forget the details of the actual environment you are in real life (often hitting stuff around you IRL while trying to reach for virtual objects). Is an absolutely new experience that forces the brain to re-adjust, even more, in multiplayer, having someone’s avatar around you, talking to you, reaching at you, pointing at stuff to show you something. Yeah, is not what we are used to consider “real life” but it does not derive from the concept of “reality”, truth is that you are an entity, others can see your presence, you can see and hear others with spatial awareness. Grant it is simulated and you can’t “interact” with many things of the world and clipping trough walls or whatever makes you feel you are indeed inside some buggy reality. But even with all that, is absolutely fun to at least try it one time in your life. Specially in mature spaces with like minded peolpe and not a bunch of hyperactive squeaky voices of kids.

You are welcome to make the video, but I feel is hard to convince someone who is “against” VR because they think is “sad” or whatever without even giving it a try.

I think an over imposed body like this is more easy to understand the experience. but takes much more setup than to record the distorted image from the lenses and then crop it to a HD format.

1 Like

I still don’t have an idea of even what to do with VivoKey, and there is a huge variety of chips on different people. As much as we could do is just to get general, would be use their chip UIDs lol, but not much real usage in sending your UID to some server. to open a virtual door? Besides you would have to fridge with the controllers and a scanner and all that stuff.
Is not completely impossible since at least the quest 2 can connect to bluetooth HID devices now. Perhaps design a reader that acts as a HID keyboard.

This is a common issue, motion sickness and more than 90% of users experience it at some time.
As a little background, people used to get “motion sickness” with Windows 95’s Maze wallpaper in the old days.
Motion sickness is your brain not being able to make sense of the signals input by your eyes and ears, the eyes say you are moving but your ears’s “accelerometer” doesn’t detect the same amount of movement, so our primitive brains start to think that we eat something poisonous and makes us feel sick.
This cannot be overcome by extending the exposure to this feeling. If you want to push trough it, you will end up passing a “point of no return” and then you will take hours to go back to normal. I was one of the many that refused the idea that my brain was so easily fooled and wanted to push trough the motion sickness, but I end up being in bed feeling like crap for like 10 hours.
The best approach to this is to immediately stop every-time you start to get motion sickness, rest 15-20 mins, and then try again, maybe 1-2 hours is needed. After a few tries (some days maybe) you will completely stop feeling motion sickness.
Next thing, is “comfort level”
Usually this “VR Demo” things, expose the users to high movement, rollercoasters and other crap that moves the camera by itself. This is the worst comfort level for anyone. The best comfort level is games like Beat Saber per example where there is no world motion, a user stands still and you have blocks flying towards you, you are in full control of the environment with your own movements, so very rarely users feel discomfort in games like this. Even AltSpace VR has comfort settings, where you can’t “smooth walk”, and every-time you turn, there is a black vignette around the view, this helps a lot to reduce the motion sickness effect on someone who is not yet used to VR motion.

I remember when I first got into VR I’d have to enable a lot of the comfort settings, like vignetting and border markers etc. After an hour or two, I’d get sick and have to stop playing. But these days it’s absolutely fine (except for low framerates + tumbling in zero-G environments)

I remember playing Elite and getting mildly sick. I remember playing Powerdrome and getting midlly sick too. Then I vividly I remember playing Descent on a then-state-of-the-art 21" monitor for 5 minutes and getting so damn sick for 2 hours that I almost called a doctor. I remember playing Sauerbraten on a 30" monitor fairly recently and getting sick enough after 2 minutes to know better than to insist.

My brain can’t tolerate any sort of visual / vestibular information disconnect. I don’t even want to try VR because I’m almost certain of what’s gonna happen. I wish I could though.

1 Like

Once upon a time, long long ago, I ran an RG-58 network cable (old 10 base 2 netbios BNC connector style network) across a neighbor’s yard to my uncle’s house on the other side so we could play a network game of Descent against each other. My aunt wanted to try so I told her I would only fire flares at her (1 point damage) and she could shoot whatever she wanted at me while she was learning. I landed 100 flares on her to destroy her ship and I think she only managed to hit me once. She was so mad I swear I heard her yelling from two houses away!

1 Like

you might not actually… it really depends on how you move. a static monitor that takes up your field of view and shows you all kinds of moving around with no correlation to your own head movements or body motion in space … I could see that causing issue with a “sensitive brain”, but honestly the head tracking in VR is so good now it’s very very difficult when sitting in a fixed position (called stationary mode) to notice anything, since the entire environment moves perfectly in tune with even the tiniest tilt or twitch of your head… it’s the movement within the VR space that can cause issues… like looking around in a 3D space feels natural and normal, and even moving in the space does too if you are actually walking around in the real world… but when you move your avatar forward in VR space but your body is not moving forward in meat space, that’s where issues can definitely pop up. For this there are “comfort settings” that can help, including a kind of “tunnel vision” which narrows your field of view in VR to just the point in front of you that your head is aimed at… but ultimately the best way to deal with this is to teleport… you just aim at where you want to “jump to” and your suddenly moved there with a small almost imperceptible fade to black between. Your brain does not feel as though you moved, you are just suddenly at a new spot and while it might feel archaic and annoying to people who regularly play video games, it is quite easy to get used to and does not cause “the sickness” like trying to glide around a VR space as if you were walking.

Yeah I keep hearing that VR is good enough even for delicate flowers like me to enjoy it. I’m mildly interested in trying it out. But then the next hurdle is getting a VR rig that’s not tied to Facebook or Google and runs on Linux. In other words, it ain’t happening.

If I find someone with a good rig, I’ll give it a whirl just so I don’t die stupid. But I don’t feel like I’m really missing out on anything so far, so I’m good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quest 2 with a throwaway account?

Haven’t there been ban issues?

This one is easy to fix, get a Vive or Index :smile:

As for this I’ve got nothing :joy:

I’ve heard the Valve Index works on Linux

1 Like

It works flawlessly in steam proton in just 2d. I don’t know about VR since I don’t have a headset.

Cool as long as your fine with it, I’ll post a video in about 12 hours when I get home

that’s what i did. i think as long as all you are doing with that fb account is playing oculus games and not friending people or posting things that will get your account flagged and investigated, you should be fine.

Only problem is duplicate accounts, and false names are against tos

They have algorithm bots checking for stuff

They have made people verify identify

I’m guessing they are backing off a bit personally, because it’s effected quest pr negatively

yes

yes, but… there is no way for the bots to know that its you… it could easily be others in your house or family that are sharing devices (quest 2 enabled device share and app share recently).

yes, but that usually only happens when other people report the account or flag enough posts that trigger account review.

I played that game a freakin lot as a child (on a good old 486 machine with a 14" monitor :wink: ) - I loved it, and actually managed to get pretty far - no idea if I played it through, but well.
I recently re-tried it in a fit of nostalgia… and pretty fast felt like you did. No idea how I managed to play this for hours as a kid, but today, after ten minutes I decided to stop and felt not really good :grimacing: