Virtual Cyborg Meet-Up space :Robot:

I will get the Quest 2 this week - I think I can pick her up on Friday at the store. I made already an account: “Cyborg1976”

1 Like

Curious as to why Altspace was chosen over a more widely known platform like VRchat. All the same features, but also open to non-vr users as well, given that it’s vr-optional.

Honestly I tried both and it was two arbitrary things; 1) VRchat is filled with … shall we say “young folks” who are well under “teenaged” while AltSpace had more “mature” users… just my take… it put me off vrchat… but 2) the altspace menu interface when you first arrive (in vr anyway) is geared for events and talks and the like… there are also ways to stream your screens and presentations and turn on megaphone to talk to the entire room and a few other things I noticed in altspace that make it conducive for giving virtual talks… perhaps this all exists in vrchat but I honestly couldn’t stay on long enough to try to figure it out… its pretty frenetic in there with the youthful exuberance of the majority of its users.

Altspace can be logged into via the web without a VR headset.

1 Like

Fair enough. All valid points; was just curious as it’s not the first platform that comes to mind.

1 Like

A few minutes into VRchat and I understood why we should distance ourselves from that platform. :joy:

2 Likes

just some questions

is the room always open?
Is it possible to talk - so do I need a headset?
when its the best time to meet people?

Yep, always open. Don’t need a headset to chat, the Quest 2 has a microphone and speakers. If you want to hear a bit better, some cheap earbuds would be a nice addition though.

It seems really varied for time, given that we’re an international community. Most tend to post here whenever they’re on, that seems to work well. Late afternoon Eastern Time US is probably a good bet as well. Not sure how that time converts to your area.

At the moment its here about 9:20 pm
I have a headset from my phone :slight_smile:

I got the Quest 2 today and did the first setup - I will try some stuff later - must learn a lot

1 Like

I wonder if we should use utc time

Any questions lemme know

1 Like

If you wanted to, you could organise a “Regular” meet up.

OTY

this is terrible idea because of the daylight time issue… i just wish we could get a goddamn politician with some balls to abolish this nonsensical time shift… nobody wants it… nobody likes it… I vote for UTC :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been saying that for a while but abolishing timezones seems to be unthinkable for most people. It is as if they have a concept stuck in their brains that ties specific numbers on the clock to specific positions of the sun rather than the sidereal time that we have been using for a very long time.

whoa

I’m not talking about timezones… just the stupid daylight / standard splitting things up half-way through the year and sliding an hour here and there for stupid reasons no longer applicable to society at large… but that said I also think just normally planning your day around universal time (UTC) makes a ton of sense.

Oh for sure. A good first step is getting rid of daylight saving time.

Oregon passed a law to remain on daylight savings time, Washington State did so too… The only thing stopping it is California.

Californian voters passed a resolution to that effect in 2018, but it has been stuck in the state legislature ever since. So, unless the 2021 federal bill passes, Oregon and Washington are waiting for California to get their collective fingers out…

(For those wondering how this works, it is because Washington, Oregon and California are all in the same time zone. Individually each of those states could remain permanently on standard time, but if they want to remain on daylight savings time then they need to all agree)

UTC has the distinct advantage that it remains the same so everyone could coordinate and you only need to do conversions into your local time.

Mild rant
Possibly not deserved for this since they actually agreed but still managed to fuck it up

I’m so sick of California making rules and effecting things outside of California (looking at you, fucking CARB gas cans)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ohio had to build things to California earthquake code,

And the laughably failed “literally everything causes cancer” warning label

1 Like

HELP

how can I create an AltSpaceVR Account without a windiws computer.
i have Steam on my Mac, but it writes wrong platform, it isn’t possible to create it online.

Should be possible to use Microsoft account creation via the web…

https://signup.live.com/signup?lcid=1033&wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=13&ct=1620513970&rver=7.0.6738.0&wp=MBI_SSL&wreply=https%3A%2F%2Faccount.microsoft.com%2Fauth%2Fcomplete-signin%3Fru%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Faccount.microsoft.com%2F%3Frefp%3Dsignedout-index%26refd%3Dwww.google.com&lc=1033&id=292666&lw=1&fl=easi2&mkt=en-US&lic=1&uaid=d59440577c044d989a8c40c1b71573cc

1 Like

thx, intredting it writes me that my email is in use…
maybe i used it in 2008 on the notebook from my father.
was able to change my password, will try it tomorrow

1 Like

My account name on altspace is MrR