Virtual Reality Equipment šŸ•¶

Gotta make sure itā€™s up to the task

I had 2 different brands

One would barely put out 1.5a
The quest 1 at least needs 3 something to charge and play

Some have better outputs than others

Iā€™ve done that before, and while it works fine, I always manage to get super tangled up in the cableā€¦ maybe iā€™ll actually put in the work this time to perfectly route the cable down my back with some cloth cable ties.

Yep, mine can do both USB-PD and QC3.0. Shouldnā€™t have any issues, Iā€™ve used it before with my OG Quest.

Just ordered my quest 2 (only got $14 off retail but eh better than nothing off)

1 Like

Congrats! As mentioned, if you can afford it, I would definitely upgrade the strap and the facial interface. After playing with it for the last 4 hours, thatā€™s my only real complaint. The strap isnā€™t the absolute worst, I could live with it, but the facial interface is really rough, and dug into my face like crazy. Excited for my upgrades to come Wednesday.

If youā€™re planning on using Link to play Half Life: Alyx (and others) via a gaming PC, make sure you pick up a link cable, too. The charging cable for the Quest 2 is super short, so youā€™ll definitely need one. The oculus one is super pricy ($70+), this one is the same length, and braided:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QCDSSD5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you donā€™t have a Facebook account, I would create a throwaway now and occasionally just add random stuff, to add some legitimacy. Idk if theyā€™re still banning people for fake accounts, but I have a blank facebook with just my name, and used that for linking with my Oculus account. Havenā€™t had any issues.

Enjoy, and hope to see you on AltSpace!

1 Like

Thanks for the rec, just ordered the cable and might eventually get one of the upgraded straps

1 Like

I would do the strap before the cable because wireless pcvr is much more capable with the quest 2 having wifi6

Iā€™m planning to do some tinkering and run wifi 6 directly between headset and my soon to arrive gaming laptopā€¦ I do need to tweak some of the networking stuff though as itā€™s not normally a stable setup but can be done supposedly

Donā€™t think my WiFi would be good enough for wireless I only get like 3 megabits/ps

Wifi or internet connection?

Whatā€™s really important for pcvr is low latency so maximizing the overall speed for

Computer->router->vr headset->router->computer

Im just planning to do without the router

Mercari guy cancelled my order :roll_eyes: so slight delay on my quest 2

But the bullet and just ordered it from Oculus. Full price it is :pensive:

2 Likes

Aww, that sucks, but at least youā€™ll get it brand new, with easy warranty.

1 Like

Yeahhh itā€™ll be worth the guarantee of it not getting cancelled lmao. Hoping it arrives my Friday :crossed_fingers:

Thought Iā€™d add a slight update to this, since I mentioned it (hopefully this all can be eventually split off into its own thread, as Eriequiet mentioned).

I just sold my Quest 1 to an old friend back home for $275, so for me it was only $125 to upgrade to the Quest 2, including getting a model with twice the storage. Taking it to him early next week. Definitely worth the upgrade! (especially after the comfort upgrades)

Also, @Eriequiet, thanks for the recommendation for that strap. Got it installed today, much much better than stock. Night and day.

I would also definitely recommend the VRCover interface to anyone wanting an upgrade. Really enjoying it so far, and it doesnā€™t tear up my face like the stock one. The stock one left mark for days, felt like sandpaper on my skin.

2 Likes

Haha, I hadnā€™t forgotten :+1:

Itā€™s not going to be a super clean split, just because of the way some comments / posts were made

Iā€™ll be doing it in a couple of hours

1 Like

This sounds really cool, I have tried VR once or twice in trade shows and events but because I have spacial and proprioception issues I always end up heavily disoriented and feeling sick. Does anyone have any suggestions of devices that might be a bit smoother or easier to get into (its been a few years since I tested them)

Sitting if possible, if standing a tactile mat that you place where your ā€œcenterā€ location

Higher frame rates help, thereā€™s a rollercoaster simulator thatā€™s pretty cool, but itā€™s choppy and I can see frames drop and that gives me a headache

Making sure your IPD is set and properly posistioned in the lens helps

A fan in the real world is apparently a huge reducer of motion sickness, several anecdotal guesses why, but short answer it helps a lot

There are also a lot of ā€œin gameā€ comfort features that help a lot, such as blinders when moving, snap turn instead of smooth rotation, and teleportation instead of walking

Oh that actually sounds like a good idea! (or a whole bunch of them) I tried the devices back in like 2014-2016 and got completely turned off by them by how bad I felt afterwards, figured Id give them a few years to get friendlier or simply they arent for people like me. The fan sounds so clever, like rolling down the window in a car!

1 Like

Thereā€™s a solid chance also that stuff from that era you tried was only 3dof
(3 degrees of freedom)
Nobody wants to touch anything that isnā€™t 6dof nowadays

3dof is pretty much limited to only rotation of your head, if you step to the left everything moves with you which can be suuuper jarring

6dof if you step left, everything stays where it was. And your perspective changes just like it would in real life, muuch more comfortable and immediately immersive

I remember trying on an older Oculus rift headset back in 2017. After just an hour playing around with different demo programs I took the headset off and almost immediately got a headache. Also a weird feeling like the world wasnā€™t matching up with what my brain was expecting while walking around.

My sisters fiance has a VR setup he let me try out that was wildly better with no headaches or weird feeling afterwards. I suspect the reason for the previous issue was due to imprecise motion tracking on the headset. Then again Iā€™m not very susceptible to motion sickness unless I try to sleep in a moving car. Then is disorientation city :stuck_out_tongue: . Iā€™d recommend giving modern VR a shot. Itā€™s come a long way from what it used to be and itā€™s only going to get better from here.

Out of curiosity, can that virtual thing be visited using a simple, low-cpu, Doom-style scene rendering? I might give it a whirl if it was.

EDIT: I have my answer: Windows-only 2D client. Nevermind then :slight_smile: