Virtual Reality Equipment šŸ•¶

Continuity excerpt

Continuity Reply

Quest is supposed to arrive today :partying_face: shipping go zoom from Oculus store

1 Like

Got my Quest all setup and played the first steps thing for a bit and am now downloading alt space.
For those that have them, do you suggest the elite strap/equivalent first? or the vr cover? Because I definitely noticed some pressure points on my face after a bit :smile:

2 Likes

:+1:t2:

On track

2 Likes

What wound this forum be without derails? :laughing:

2 Likes

Iā€™d say the strap, personally I like the eyglo semi better than the elite, cheaper and breaks less
The silicone cover is only like 10$ so Iā€™d just do eyglo and silicone instead of elite

1 Like

For me I definitely needed the facial interface first, if I was prioritizing. The default strap was annoying, but the default facial interface actively hurt me.

You definitely donā€™t need the VRCover brand, which I got. Itā€™s a bit more on the expensive side, but itā€™s a nice fake leather, and super soft. It has nose guards as well to try and block out extra light. A silicone one would work fine too, as Eriequiet mentioned, and would be much cheaper.

Also, definitely wouldnā€™t go for the oculus branded elite strap, when you eventually upgrade. Thereā€™s a massive amount of them cracking and breaking, and oculus temporarily stopped production for a bit. The aftermarket ones are cheaper, and havenā€™t seen any reports of breaks.

1 Like

Appologies and massive thanks to @Pilgrimsmaster for trying to untangle this mess of a thread we made

2 Likes

No Need

No Need

WE, ARE THE CY - BORG :robot:

2 Likes

1 Like

Any of you with a quest 2 or a quest 1 that currently have experience doing wireless pcvr?

Iā€™m still anxiously waiting my new laptop with a 3070 to run vr, but it could be a month still because of the silicon shortages

In the mean time anyone want to try to play around with this to see if they can get wifi direct working as detailed here

Should be even easier than as detailed because oculus no longer require the side loading of the virtual desktop wireless patch, and include it in the native version of virtual desktop

Literally tried that last night, using a hotspot on my PC and Virtual Desktop (using the 5GHz band). It worked fine, but in my case, it was still a bit laggy running intensive games like Half-Life:Alyx. That could be a number of factors affecting my experience, though. My wireless card is an Intel Wireless-AC 9260, with a dedicated antenna. Could also be due to the crowded bands/channels in my area. Thereā€™s over 30 wifi networks nearby me, due to being in a dorm

My experience with a dedicated 5GHz router was a lot better. At my actual house back home, it was a great experience.

So weird, I donā€™t understand everything at play with wifi routers
But I fail to see how adding a step decreases latency

Did you install the connectify app or just use the baked in windows hotspot? (Iā€™ve read thatā€™s far worse and less stable)

Various steps in the above video force performance mode instead of what the baked in software prefers to doā€¦ apparently because itā€™s illegal to hotspot 5ghz in Englandā€¦ it actively tries to prevent it for everyone ā€¦sigh

The built-in one. Iā€™ll have to try the connectify app. Iā€™ll do that in an hour or two, Iā€™ll let you know how it goes.

Not a big fan of their monetization strategy though, which is why I tried to avoid them in the first place. I guess Iā€™ll try it as a ā€œdemoā€ and purchase it if itā€™s really good.

Not familiar with their approach,

Other nugget of wisdom I foundā€¦ but donā€™t remember how to implementā€¦

Apparently windows semi regularly does a search for new wifi networks, that needs to be disabled as it induces terrible latency spikes

Their free version is super locked down, and it supposedly has a usage timer. They also try and sell the ā€œ2021 versionā€ separately, and make you pay more for lifetime. Itā€™s not a ton, $15 for one lifetime license, but still.

Wish there was an open-source alternative.

Iā€™ll actually try it right now, Iā€™ve got nothing better to do. Iā€™ll report back in a few.

I meanā€¦ if it works Iā€™m willing to pay 15$ to be done with it

However I canā€™t stand the new strategy of subscribing everythingā€¦

Immersed vr is very similar to virtual desktop, except it can visually pickup and track your keyboard
cool feature but then they was 15$ a month till the end of time

Fuck thatā€¦ I know Iā€™m not a programmerā€¦ but you wrote a piece of codeā€¦ Iā€™ll pay you for the piece of code

If it was more work, you can ask for moreā€¦ thatā€™s fair

But asking for continuous revenue is bullshit

1 Like

So, it looks like last time I tried this, and my first few tries with Connectify rn, Windows was ignoring my ā€œPrefer 5GHzā€ thing, and was connecting over 2.4GHz anyways. After configuring it again, by changing it to 2.4 and back, it seems to be running at full speed now.

Itā€™s better than last try, but still rough. The latency isnā€™t noticable at all really, I was playing some beat saber, but there were occasional slowdowns, and when a lot happened on screen, it began dropping frames. That same beat map with a physical link cable has no issues. Now that I seem to have fixed my 5GHz issue, Iā€™m going to try the built-in hotspot, to see how that compares to Connectify.

EDIT: Nah, windows hotspot is using 5GHz fine, it says it on Virtual desktop, but still only getting 192Mbps, compared to the 800+ I should be getting.

I would say if you donā€™t have an alternative, Connectify works decently well. For more exploration based games, it would be a good option. For something more intense, maybe not.

This is again though only applicable to my setup, it might be fine with your PC configuration.

Did you watch the full video I linked above?

I think he disabled the 2.4ghz mode by making it use ā€œ A band WiFiā€ which the quest isnā€™t capable of

But yea itā€™s possible your getting choked out by neighbors

Either way thanks for tinkering, it makes sense of paperā€¦now itā€™s just making it work