Virtual Reality Equipment šŸ•¶

Donā€™t wanna spam this channel with my random recs all the time butā€¦
The Climb 2 is very well made IMO and worth it on sale solid 7/10 so far
Cubism is easily one of the most relaxing VR games Iā€™ve ever played (outside of certain VR Chat places)

Seems Iā€™ll have to postpone my VR cover purchase because I decided not to wear the strap and spiked my right controller. Honestly might just be able to tape it as itā€™s still tracking perfectly fine but oh boy :sweat_smile: people on youtube overstated the durability quite a bit

If itā€™s a single crack, most people add superglue, then hold it until it cures enough to hold itself. Hard to even see that it happened. The /r/OculusQuest subreddit has some examples of the superglue fix.

Cracks almost never impact performance, just aesthetics.

Quest 1 or 2?

If 1 the crack is a known defect and they will typically replace

Quest 2
After further inspection as long as it doesnā€™t cause tracking issues Iā€™ll just tape it instead of pay $69 nice for a new one

Too little too late I know, but to anyone reading,

Always wear your strap, this isnā€™t like the wii where youā€™d question how someone could possibly throw it,

Vr gets intense

2 Likes

I almost always wear mine but was just not paying attention zooming from the bathroom back to my Echo game and then threw the disc but also the controller lmao
I abused my Rift controllers so much I didnā€™t expect it to be cracked just like scratched or something and there it was haha (was also on carpet so yeah)

My controller has hit my gun safeā€¦ a fewā€¦ times lol

Sometimes itā€™s just a (un)lucky hit

Iā€™ve hit everything you could imagine: Mini fridge, my pc, wooden desk, plastic table, ceiling, my own headset.
I just got that one unlucky slip this time lmao, Bit of electrical tape and sheā€™ll be good as used

Iā€™ll throw this in here I guess:

For anyone who has PCVR or uses their Quest with a link cable or Virtual Desktop, thereā€™s a VR Humble Bundle right now, with some decent games (Star Trek Bridge Crew, Job Simulator, Borderlands 2 VR, etc).

Constructively, I could set my guardian more conservatively,

Or I could dial up the sensitivity so that the algorithm it warns me sooner

But I always get greedy and want more play space

Looking to get a house soon, spouse and I have agreed that if/when we will find a space (probably in the basement) and tape off a large square on the ground, 8x8 or more

We will call it the space of requirement and the only rule is, nothing is to ever be left inside it when we are done

Perfect for vr

1 Like

Iā€™m very guilty of this. My guardian is so much wider than the play area but I just get tired of seeing the border so much when I have very little space. Most of what I play is sitting anyway so itā€™s not too bad here recently I just have to remain aware of fast movements

Really wish there was a way to calibrate the size of the stationary guardian

Itā€™s smaller than my arm width :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I wonder what itā€™s even meant for? like any larger than average human is not going to have enough space. Unless youā€™re on one of those treadmills I donā€™t see a use for the current stationary boundary :smile:

So, I finally got a decent router today (after making sure there were some empty channels in my area), so I could do wireless VR properly (especially after Oculus announced AirLink, hopefully coming out today).

Itā€™s a pretty darn good experience now. I was able to configure everything properly (5GHz band only), and I got the full 1200Mbps speed with Virtual Desktop. Getting 22ms latency or so, it feels decent.

I decided to get a Wifi 6 router given that I want to use it later down the road when I get my own place, plus the crowded airwaves in my dorm. The prices have really come down too.

After a bunch of research, I decided to go with the TP-Link AX1500, hereā€™s a link:

For 802.11ax, $77 didnā€™t seem bad at all. The signal strength is great, and the config was super easy (config web portal is nicely featured). My only complaint is, the setup only seemed to start via wifi. I connected first on my phone via their Tether app, and right as I did that, the portal loaded on my PC, and I was able to set everything up without the app. Not sure if I just had a weird glitch there, but everything is fine now.

Thereā€™s some optional cloud stuff as well, some people are into that. Completely optional, though.

Excited to try AirLink, with ASW support, it should be a better experience than Virtual Desktop.

EDIT: Just played nearly an hour of Half-Life: Alyx via Virtual Desktop, itā€™s such a better experience. I had to tweak settings a bit (mainly cranking up the bitrate), but after that, it was incredible. I added a battery pack a few days ago as a counterweight, and now I can play like 4-8 hours of wireless VRā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m still interested in making WiFi direct work

Just need my laptop to come in,

Stupid chip shortage

For anyone doing Virtual Desktop for wireless VR, I 100% recommend either installing the v28 Quest update, or sideloading it manually if you havenā€™t gotten it yet (itā€™s a slow rollout).

That enables 120Hz experimentally, which Virtual Desktop can already handle via a beta update you can opt into.

Playing games wirelessly at 120Hz is incredible, and itā€™s really changed my outlook on streaming VR. I already bought a few PC VR games in the day since I started using it.

I will say, you definitely need a quality router and most likely, a battery pack. 120Hz really drains the battery, but itā€™s worth it for silky smooth VR. Half-Life: Alyx has been insane, Iā€™ve played for another 2-3 hours in the last day or two.

You can also use an ADB command to turn on 120Hz for native quest games, but the results are mixed. Some games can handle it right now, some canā€™t.

Iā€™ve been considering selling my Vive and purchasing a Quest 2. This is kind of pushing me closer to that edge.

1 Like

Honestly, if you donā€™t have an issue with the Facebook stuff, and youā€™re willing to do $30-50 in comfort upgrades, Iā€™d recommend that. I talked about the upgrades above, mainly just the facial interface and a new strap. A battery as a counterweight is good too for VR streaming. I just zip tied a basic powerbank for the moment (canā€™t 3D print in my dorm), and thatā€™s worked with no issues. The counterweight makes it much more comfortable, too.

Itā€™s truly second only to the Index, and I would say that for most people, the quest is still better. Not dealing with base stations is a blessing, and even if you donā€™t plan on using it often, native games can be nice, especially for travelling. Beat saber in a hotel room is a nice way to chill while traveling. Cables really bother me as well, so thatā€™s another point for the quest.

I will say, if youā€™re coming from a vive, the controller difference will be an adjustment, although some consider that a positive one (depending on if you like the vive trackpads). I quite like the joysticks for movement and selection, so not a problem for me personally.

The only other consideration is the IPD adjustment. For cost reasons, oculus only included 3 IPD settings on the quest, and you move the lenses into place. If youā€™re lucky and in the majority, one of these settings will match you. If itā€™s in between two settings, you can put it halfway between settings and that will mostly work. If itā€™s bigger or smaller than the first or last setting, you might be screwed. I would just look up the ranges online, and compare it to your own. Thankfully mine happened to be equal to the biggest of the 3 settings but others are not so lucky. Definitely something to check before purchasing.

2 Likes

So whatā€™s stupid is apparently the ā€œsystemā€ itself is still capable of detecting and calibrating for anywhere in between min and max,

Itā€™s literally JUST the slider thatā€™s missing

Good news this means if you happen to have a weird ipd, you can 3D print a little widget that goes around your lenses and holds them and whatever distance you designate