VivoKey Apex update

The issue with LED modules in general was that the quality varried wildly and tons would just break during encapsulation or significantly weaken… and they are much wider than the apex flex antenna anyway… I really just don’t want to use them for anything at this point

7 Likes

As much as I would like a Apex with purple blinkies, gonna have to respect the decision.

1 Like

The Apex Mega is what you’re waiting for. To be honest, me too.

13 Likes

@amal I forget, is the Apex Mega going to be similar to the Northstar implant when it comes to construction/build material/implant process? I know it won’t be a flex or x-series of course.

It will be very similar to the flexNext in shape but 2.5cm diameter :wink: I can’t wait

2 Likes

Blinkies could no longer be placed in flex housings I thought.

The NFC nails that were used are not reliable but Amal is working on custom made ones, so they will soon!

2 Likes

Not those blinkies, afaik Satur9 will redesign them at some point. Own LEDs probably work long term, but I guess it’s a long time until then.

2 Likes

Yep @Satur9 is working on a design for Apex Mega that involves SMT LEDs on our own PCB antenna… we can control the design and production quality… that is critical. I’ll post some very early early work pix for DT Club shortly … i guess i already let that cat out of the bag :confused:

8 Likes

Oops hope I didnt leak Club info, but I think it’s well known LEDs have to be redesigned.

1 Like

Yeah I’m in the midst of resolving the Mega. The next revision will be ordered this week. Sorry, I have a day job.

Mutual inductance is a difficult problem to unravel. With the LEDs being on the same board with the NFC chip, they both work great independently, but the NFC chip is the only thing that works when they’re together.

7 Likes

Me too. But it pays the bills.

Didn’t you just give us several new flex antennas? No need to say sorry!

1 Like

giphy (3)

8 Likes

Great! After waiting so long for the Apex, I don’t think waiting a little bit more for the Mega will hurt lol

1 Like

Just had a look at the flexNext video and it’s got an impressive range. I’m guessing since the mega will be ~1/2 the diameter that the range won’t be nearly as good? I don’t expect it’ll be able to go all the way through the hand, but would it still be able to go roughly 5cm off the readers?

1 Like

What the hell kind of hand do you have that an implant with a 5 cm range wouldn’t read through? Are you a bigfoot? :slight_smile:

Not through the hand but 5cm through air was the question… not 5cm hand.

I’ve never noticed much of a difference in range if it reads through air or through flesh. There is some to be sure, but a hand is like an inch thick at the most. There’s a considerable margin if the implant can read 5 cm from a reader in air.

The flexNExT read through my wrist. I’m hoping the Apex Mega will too.

1 Like

Ever see a real fat or fluffy person? Like 3 or 5 inches.

Mine is closer to 2 inches than it is to 2.54 cm, and I don’t consider myself fluffy or fat.