VivoKey for iOS Dev Update:

“Some level”… That’s the understatement of the year. From what you describe, Apple pretty much position themselves as the FAA of the iOS ecosystem: nothing flies there without their thorough vetting and approval.

To each his own, but that sure ain’t for me - even from a user’s standpoint.

I strongly disagree. I really like the Play Protect approach.
Once you have enough downloads you’ll automatically be scanned and fuzzed + are covered by a bug bounty program.
Chrome Extentions are known to be taken down every now and then when they are violating rules or are vulnerable. I assume the same for apps.
For the bounty part I know that Google works close with researchers and the devs, very nice.
I assume there are some protocols for the scanned stuff also. Like, here we found this, fix it in 3 days or we’ll take the app down until you did.

And yes @anon3825968 Apple plays god there. I’ve heard multiple stories of whole branches of apps disappearing…
Like, is there any app for rating other apps left?

I like that the OS providers try to get a secure software store. but like on every computer you should be allowed to install anything you want. Google does that better than Apple in my eyes.

Derail over.

macOS vs Windows, iOS vs android
Both sides have fanboys with their “pros” to defend their side.
I have Apple TV, MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, Apple Watch, AirPods and iPhone and the amount of seamless interconnectivity has no comparison.
I can be watching a show on my iPad, walk to the tv use my Apple Watch to turn it on and continue watching the program without special pairing or setup and super fast too, I can select text on my iPhone and sit on the computer and just press “paste” to even “paste” an image inside a document. I can start typing an email on the iPad, and as soon as I open my mail app on the computer there it is as I left. Can walk outside with just my Apple Watch and still make phone calls and receive notifications even without my iPhone near me, even the Apple Watch to pay for stuff on the store with any of my credit or bank cards or digital money cards.

I don’t see how android could be better.

I was about to change when they came out with the 1500 dlls invitation only google glass, but then they toss the whole project out of the window… wait until Apple brings their Apple Glass and watch them show the world how AR glasses are done.

Hehe… Not getting suckered into that one. Nice try :slight_smile:

I was a apple fan boy for years but got so fed up with not being to do simple things I quit and whent over to android.

2 Likes

Hahaha, now im curious, what simple things an iPhone can’t do?

2 Likes

Ah it wasn’t that the iPhone couldn’t do it, apple dosnt want you to do it. I wanted to back up all my iPhone (family so total of 8) over WiFi to local storage.

There response was use icloud when I said no the said use a cable I said no they said then you can’t do it. They only want you to back up over WiFi to there service so they just don’t let you (i also didnt want to run 8 instances of iTunes)

Probably not the right forum for this but had a thought, just put in an xSIID and was thinking as part of this app/any reading apps ect could there be a function like that can be used primarily for lighting up my led? Because when using the read function of any of the existing apps my iphone is able to light up more often/brighter compared to the normal intermittent reads. The issue is though it will read the xSIID and stop my flashy flash :joy:
(Know I worded that shit but hope it can be understood)

2 Likes

Ahh makes sense, yeah the old iTunes. Now I have all my backups from all my apple devices on a (non apple) NAS.
And they automatically backup trough WiFi. But yeah I remember hating to need to use iTunes to put a mp3 audio on my iPhone without iTunes. But those days are long long gone.

1 Like

Hmmm how about transfer music to it without special software that requires a full sync every time? :thinking: I know this doesn’t really apply anymore with the prevalance of streaming services, but still. Apple does have a great ecosystem that works seamlesly with all its devices, but has some rediculous drawbacks as well… some intended to lock you down even further, some just a consequence of bad engineering, and a somewhat arrogant demeanour to boot (try getting a water-damaged macbook repaired, or data recovery)

You want an app that will just make your led blink more?
I can probably make something for that, even to write some custom data on them trough the VivoKey app or maybe another app for NDEF data. But I need to get myself some xSIID chips first so I can do tests for brightness, timing, etc.

2 Likes

If you are under warranty you can just get a new one, if you absolutely need some electronic surgery, you need to take it to another place. Apple already makes a lot of types of devices and provides a lot of types of software, yeah, repairing old, broken, non-backedup devices is not their forte.

Can you just take your broken Pixel phone to a “google store” for them to desolder the memory chip and extract your data from a water damaged phone?

If you want to use their music player yeah, you need to follow their guidelines, most of the times its meant to protect copyright. Look what Metallica did to Napster. But you could get other apps where you can upload audio files and use those apps to play music. Some of those apps even sync with Dropbox shared folders like “MusicBox” or “CloudBeats”.
But the goal of any company is to make coins, so yeah, is been a lot of, lets try this and lets try that. I don’t like those “subscription” apps like Adobe Suite, I like how they where before, you buy the App and its yours. But the way that the general public moves is very important to how things get standardised. I just used iTunes and put the music from my purchased CDs into my iPhone and was a happy camper.

I think pretty much the only thing you can do short of controlling the field directly is a bunch of selects at high speed.

Derailing rant

I agree with you on most points, pros and cons.

Well, liquid damage is absolutely not covered under warranty. Also, even if you are under warranty, Apple has kind of a spotty track record (Bendgate is just one example that comes to mind) of replacing devices with obvious failures (they did offer a replacement, but had some interesting conditions).

There are some engineering failures in Apple products that are just egrigious (Holding the phone kills signal [iPhone 4], Unibody Macbook falls apart because it isn’t actually unibody but glued with epoxy that fails because of heat, butterfly keyboard that they take how many years to actually fix, iphone that is so thin that you can pop the digitizer IC right of the motherboard, +30V DC backlight rail running right next to 1.2V CPU rail and consequently frying the CPU when there is a short, webcam wired in series with touchpad so if there are issues with the webcam the whole touchpad doesn’t work…). These are from many different models, but you get the jist. Their stance and consistent lobbying to discredit right-to-repair legislation also doesn’t help matters. It also seems that they make things as difficult as possible to repair (especially data recovery), and there are many issues with their AOSP and Independet repair programs.
Of course these issues are hardly unique to Apple, they just happen to stick out the most.
Rant over.

1 Like

Love the rant! yeah agreed no device maker is exempt of making a design decision that later will prove to be a bad choice. Don’t tell me that Android devices are all made perfect and without a single design failure. Exploding phones anyone?

They even made a mod for GTA of this famous exploding Android phone.

1 Like

Kind of reminds me of the Powerbook 5300 :stuck_out_tongue:
Of course, there are always design failures

I use to be hardcore Android only until I actually decided to get an iPhone X instead of the Galaxy S9. Don’t get me wrong I miss having certain features but it truly is a great phone. Been jail broken which really makes it up to my standards in customization. As for MacOS I recently purchased a MacBook Air and the inter connectivity of the whole platform with my phone and my AirPods does truly make life a little bit easier for my online college work. (Not to mention that display :drooling_face:)

Reminds me of the TRC’s for submitting a game to Sony/Microsoft for GM review. We had folders that were 2 inches thick of rules and specifications that you had to meet. Sure isn’t a fun time!

1 Like

25 posts were merged into an existing topic: The anti​:no_entry_sign:-derailment​:railway_car: & thread​:thread: hijacking​:gun: thread​:thread: :interrobang: