Wanted to pick y'all's brains about a diy magnet implant

I mean, perfectly honest- I’m sorry you’ve had bad experiences. I’ll take it under advisement and consider those things as I proceed- but this is something I very much want and I’m kinda a dumb ho. I intend to use the least amount of magnet that will do the job but I’m more likely to be swayed by a technical reason it won’t work than a “it might hurt a lot or something could go wrong in meat space.”

Like right now I’m not super stoked with how it looks and I should be able to resolve that… But if I didn’t get it to where I thought it looked useable and somewhat clean I probably wouldn’t do it. Or if it just had too much slipping around to be useful. If I wig glue the magnets on my hands for a test run and it just didn’t work for some reason, sure. Maybe if I can’t resolve it I don’t do it… That’s the kind of stuff that’d be a hard stop for me.

It’s super unlikely I’ll lose a finger but even if it somehow got that bad I don’t think I’d be too fussed. Like as bad as I can imagine this reasonably getting, I’m cool with it. And I know me, there’s no way I let it get even a little bad.

Worst case it doesn’t come to fruition for some (probably technical) reason but I had a neat project to do for a while and I reconsider and try again or do something else. 🤷 I can’t lose.

PFT. JUST SAW THE EXAMPLE. LOL. That made my night. :green_heart:

I do see where you’re all coming from but I can’t imagine there’s that much pinching from things as small as these. Like even if I get my bigger magnets and create a pinch- it doesn’t really hurt. It’d be a bit different than that and I wouldn’t want to do it with big magnets for any appreciable length of time, but I think it’s very tolerable. Now when I’ve fast snapped myself with them, that hurt. But speed was definitely a factor. I once got myself bad enough that one broke. But that’s not how this would go down. This thing wouldn’t be snapped on. It’d probably just be placed or rolled on.

And if it was for some reason unbearable then I just wouldn’t use it for that. It could be that having it on doesn’t hurt but repeated tugging at it from tapping does. I’ve already considered that and I literally can’t know until I try. It’s just something to be prepared for in case it does happen. And maybe work to reduce the height/profile of each piece to reduce tugging. The flatter the better. If that bottom piece isn’t super functional I might be able to replace it and make the whole thing smaller.

This is enough magnet to pick up a 2kg weight (it is solidly holding but after that the angles become a problem) and that’s as pinchy as I can get it. It doesn’t hurt. I find constraining shirts more uncomfy. Now had it come whipping across a table and done that, that would probably hurt. But as small as the magnets we’re talking about for this project and the low weight they can hold. That’s not really a concern. It took me a solid 3 minutes to get this picture.

Technically possible but holy shit it’s a pain in the ass to work with magnets near each other. Getting them to stay spread out and not slam together… it’s a damn nightmare

Yeah That’s my concern with trying to do them in an arrangement of any kind is that they’re not known for being overly cooperative in the best of times.

Look at the actual skin in the pinch point, all the blood has been squeezed out of the area… so regardless of if you can bear it or not… that skin will die given a period of time

I literally said that you wouldn’t want to do it for a long time with large magnets. I’ve said that multiple times.

I’ve never denied it would be a problem with large magnets or higher amounts of force. But I’ve clarified a few times now that I’m currently looking at 1mm x 3mm. That’s this as it sticks to my xSIID. Pictured with the scar from that install 2 months ago.

I feel like you’re purposely ignoring the context of what’s being discussed and just applying the same blanket logic to things that are very, very different. Weight, size, and especially surface area are all very important things and you’re pretending that the stack of five 2mm x 32 mm magents and the one, maybe two total 1mm x 3mm are going to have any of those in common. Magnet strength increases depend heavily on surface area. So even if so have to get a slightly bigger one, we’re talking about very small forces.

The best example I have is … If I get hit by a car I’m going to be feeling pretty bad. Unless it’s someone’s tonka truck. Then I’m going to be annoyed at worst. Like who let their kid drive this tiny truck into my leg. If it’s a matchbox I’m more in danger of stepping on it but it’s very tiny so I’m probably going to barely notice.

The big magnets are the first car. The 1x3 are the matchbox car.

Can you elaborate?

You do you, either way it generates data

1 Like
  • I have nothing to contribute directly.

• Also I’m not sure if there is anything in here that may help your discussion as I haven’t read it myself.

• I have however suggested it as reading material to people with an interest in magnet implants

• It is written by an active and respected community member

Anyway, here you go

2 Likes

OH COOL. I’ll definitely pick that up because I can read it while waiting at work or make my computer read it to me. Thank you.

1 Like

Hey I have thought of magnetic wearables before and faced the same issues discussed here. One option was a non magnetic ring around the implant and a central magnet held off of the skin so that no contact is made but that would end up constantly pulling on the skin which is probably better than crushing but it might create a perpetual non-healing pocket unless your encapsulation is very resistant. Definitely don’t use a slippery coating in that case 🫤
There’s another option that I haven’t seen anyone mention: depending on what axis your implant is magnetized and maybe by adding more poles you could make the surrounding ring magnetized. The ring would lock in place being radialy attracted by the central implant. No contact between magnets and no significant pressure but it wouldn’t be as strong obviously. I have never seen such a system industrialy made though and these kinds of magnets would have to be custom… Just a thought :wink:

1 Like

That’s an interesting thought though RE using the axis to my advantage. I had considered using 2-3 and if I find the device doesn’t want to stay in place during tests, I might be able to replace the bottom bit and use that to my advantage to keep it in the orientation I want. Just give it no other option.

1 Like

I have nothing to say about the tissue issue (no pun intended), but I do have another concern with the issue of attaching the device using magnets.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Tap Strap uses accelerometers/gyrometers to detect the taps, no? Have you tested whether placing strong magnets in close proximity to these sensors will affect their operation? It would be a waste if you went through all the effort to install that many magnets only to find out that the device won’t work with them that close.

1 Like

That’s a great question. You’re right about how it works but I used wig glue to test it out for a few days with that exact magnet set. It didn’t affect how the sensors worked at all. It actually increased accuracy a lot because with the rings the sensors would slide around just enough to misalign them. I enjoy using the Tap Strap but that’s one way it could have been improved, making an extra small version or swappable rings. The new TAP XR is going to be a lot of fun and appears to work completely different so I’m excited for that as well.

Because you want them in highly nerve dense areas you end up cutting into those areas and causing a little bit of nerve damage, you feel it in your fingers anytime you pick up something and grip it hard. And other magnets become scary because if they get to close they will latch onto you and it hurts. Not to mention the rejection rate is crazy high.

It’s fun as a party trick and useful for picking up a screw maybe once a year. But those benefits don’t make it worth the risks you take on.

1 Like

I see. Thank you for your input.

1 Like

Calculators for you to play around with.

Magnetic pull strength calculator
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

Pressure calculator

Oh cool thank you.

Just jumping in on this one, though I’m pretty sure you’re gonna do your thing anyway - pinching skin from the “outside” with two magnets is not the same as pinching it from the outside and the inside at the same time. Human skin can stand quite a lot of pressure and trouble, but the magnet inside of you doesn’t push against the callous outer part of the skin…
I have a titan in my finger, and if I attach stuff to it for “too long” (and we’re talking minutes here), it hurts. Not because I’m squeamish, but because the inside magnet is working it’s way to the outside, or at least it wants to. Plus, like others here already said, it prevents blood flow and does damage, even if the magnet is small and there is not much weight attached to it. People have been trying that for literally decades now (if you like, do some reasearch about what Steve Haworth said about that topic), and still there are guys who just think all that doesn’t apply to their special use case…

edit: oh, and please keep in mind that the absolute worst-case scenario is not a lost finger, but sepsis, and that shit can actually kill you.

3 Likes