What are you making ⚒️ / 3D printing 🖨

I made a thing today

I explored many different options before realizing the simplest option was the best
It’s tiny and might get even smaller
I’m also going to 3D print a tiny little case for it

I see that it uses a USB C connector but I’m still curious about what it is. Is it a light of some sort?

Nope not a light, although with reverse charging you could make a pretty decent flash light out of a phone :thinking:
Good guess though, try again :wink:

LF antenner fer ya phone.

Nah :magnet:

• a tiny camera
  • a thermal sensor
  • a buzzer / haptic feedback thingy
  • an alien probe
1 Like

Yes, an inductor using usb-c audio output.
It’s definitely usable like that but I would like to amplify things a bit. The issue is I can’t figure out a way to get both the usb’s 5v reverse charging to power the amp AND audio output. Otherwise I would have to add onboard power which sucks

I haven’t tried a custom coil yet, maybe that could help

i think you just have to tell the phone that you are a peripheral and the phone port needs to be in host mode… then it should supply power. this is different from “reverse charging” or “power sharing” which is high current output.

It’s a bit more complicated because I’m using a DAC (ALC5686) and as far as I can tell it registers as a host. I also tried pulling power on the USB in parallel despite that but everything freaks out eventually.
I wonder if I can use a tiny Arduino to do all that manually :thinking:

yeah you might have to put another usb chip in front to do comms with the phone as a periph and com with the backend DAC over another data channel

1 Like

Yeah… I think making a better coil will be a better option :sweat_smile: USB C is a mess and I doubt I can set up something like that anytime soon. The performance is not too bad for the intended purpose anyway.

The question is, can you fry a DAC by blasting it with its own output signal? We’ll find out :joy:

Edit: I don’t know if you can hear the excitement in my voice bt YES a custom made coil is about 0.5 gazillion times better. I don’t think I need an amp anymore. I’m going to try and optimize the shape now.

1 Like

Does anyone have experience with those small usb-c DACs/amps like the alc5686?
I have no interest in the sound quality but rather in the loudness. Comparing datasheets it seems they all do 30mW @ 32Ohms or close so presumably the same.

But then I saw one that said “65mW thrust”. I’m not sure what thrust means maybe it’s peak performance and it’s the same as the others overall?

It’s kinda had to find info about the amplification since they usually qualify as DACs, not amps and the are used for audio quality. I don’t think you can do too much amplification without external power but maybe?

I’m not sure if this should go here or in the derailment thread…

I’m thinking of getting a 3D printer and I have a local supplier that sells Creality products. I’m uncertain on what to buy but the Ender 2 Pro and some Ender 3 variants might fit the bill.

Chances are that I’ll build a DIY corexy machine at some point. So I want to be able to print some of the tougher materials for when I have the time for this. However, I’m also looking for a small printer that’s easy to store when not in use, hence why I’m leaning towards the Ender 2 Pro.

The bed of the Ender 2 Pro can reach 80C and the head 260C. So I think that it should be possible to run things like PETG, Nylon, and some carbon fiber blends. (With the right nozzle for the abrasive materials)

While I have some limited experience with 3D printers, this would be my first machine. And I’ve never used any of the fancy materials so I’d appreciate your feedback, you awesome cyborgs.

I’d go at least ender 3 for better frame support
It’s super common so lot’s of community support, which is very worth while

Nylon the issue isn’t heat per se, it’s making sure it’s sealed in heat enclosure…partial cooling bad

Petg is easy

Carbon fiber blends are typically weaker

1 Like

Any feedback regarding ABS and ASA?

Abs is kinda like nylon but not quite as high of heats
But if there’s drafts or not enclosed heat it will crack or warp

Also abs has some fumes

Asa I’ve heard is getting popular and has good properties

I just usually print in pla, unless I need it more durable and then I print in petg

The thing with creality to be aware of, is while the heater can reach a temp, that doesn’t mean it’s good to go… usually it’s a ptfe hot end, so the ptfe buts directly agains the nozzle IN the heater block… up to 215-230ish is fine for ptfe… but hotter and ptfe starts to burn and decompose and that’s bad juju

There as various ways you can make the hot end “all metal” which is what you want

@enginerd do you have any microcenter near you?

2 Likes

Just got the forge finished (finally).
I started off with a round piece of 2" bar stock, cut to length. Will eventually become a 2lb hammer.

Makes me think of the “How to train your Dragon” quote.
“Molten Steel, Razor Sharp Blades, Lot’s of Time to Himself, What could possibly go wrong?”

Also, bored me is dangerous me. Just FYI.

5 Likes

I got myself an ender 3 v2.
I wasn’t expecting much for 200 quid but i cant tell you how impressed i am with it.
The quality is fantastic on standard settings.
So much open source stuff to download. And blender is quite straightforward with a couple of youtube tutorials I soon had the basics.
I guess it depends what you want it for but this is plenty good enough for what i need.

Pic of my recent prints downloaded from thingiverse/printables. Bacteriophage pen holder and nasa chainmail material because why not?

5 Likes

This looks kinda cool:

Here’s a print that some of you might find useful:

https://www.printables.com/model/340077-proxmark3-easy-slim-case

4 Likes