What are your hobbies?

crafty! and no, it was just a made-up word that was cute and sounded vaguely like ‘photography’ :wink:

Electronics its a job and hobby as well as trying to learn some coding (embeded stuff I.e. C or whatever)

1 Like

Okay, after seeing all these hand-crafted machines and all that, I feel slightly untalented…

I love gaming (currently planning to set up a gaming room, with all my computers from the C16 and the 486 across old pentium PCs up to my current gaming equipment…^^), bodymods (who would’ve guessed…^^), horror movies from the 80s, creating some funny outfit accessoires for the festivals to (hopefully) come, dancing, playing poi and trying to enjoy life to its fullest :smiley:

3 Likes

Ahhhh a fellow retro computer enthusiast! My roommate and I have collected a wide variety of machines ranging from IBM PC AT/XT and Compaq portable with almost every major class of machine to the modern day. Oh and lots of apple equipment He likes his apple computers. My personal preference is collecting weird UNIX machines of the time such as an IBM RS/6000 or HP Apollo. Any specific games you like to return to regularly?

I’ve a few hobbies that I rotate. Amateur radio/electronics but as RF is my day job then I don’t give it so much time at home. Restoring old classic scooters, current have two, a '59 Vespa and a '74 Lambretta. Also play a bit of guitar.
As for collecting stuff I used to collect some old calculators but also (Clive) Sinclair products. Had most of the radio kits, calculators, mini TV, computers etc in the past. Never had a C5 though :smile:. All sadly gone now. About all I’ve got is about 200 novelty radios, all advertising stuff such as Shell, Pepsi, Heinz etc etc.
Oh I’ve a collection of coins and artefacts from my metal detecting days…another hobby!

1 Like

Can I ask to see them? I have never experienced hallucinations not on mushrooms or something. I am super curious.

I learned to do this so I could fix my scrubs. I can do the most basic of basic darning/sticking but at least it is fun.

I fly racing drones/quads/quadcopters, with the FPV goggles and all that. Like implants, it’s just something that since the first time I saw it I was wowed by the arrival of the future. I also like video games, I’m excited to play the upcoming Star Wars Squadrons space dogfighting game on a HOTAS controller.

1 Like

Intento realizar astrofotografias pero creo que es mas por que megusta el tema de modificar camaras normales para aumentar su sensibilidad, tambien modifique este año una montura ecuatorial con motores paso a paso para que pudiera seguir la rotacion del eje terrestre e intentar fotografiar andromeda con algo de precision, me encanta el trabajo electromecanico y ahora a mis 48 años estoy aprendiendo a tocar el saxofon.

5 Likes

I like to play instruments which at the moment consist of trumpet, ukulele, guitar, and percussion of any kind. Also mildly into 3D printing, just to the point where I like printing out funny/functional stuff. Not into the trying to calibrate it for perfect prints. Also before I moved to college I absolutely loved kayaking.

3 Likes

I love to tinker with more or less everything. I have 3d printer that usually runs about 5 or 6 days a week, and before I graduated high school, I spent all my free time either playing with the laser cutter (a Glowforge) or in the wood shop on a lathe. I did robotics for 5 years, starting my freshman year, and coaching on my last. I am currently getting certified in MIG welding for aluminum and steel, as well as a certification for collision repair. After that I get to play the little game in the US called “let’s take out loans, go to college, then repair them for the rest of our lives” Will probably go for mechanical engineering, because its closest to what I like to do. And if you didn’t guess by the above, I’m fairly young (19) so I get to deal with that as well
N8

3 Likes

College is a shell game financially. You can cut it way back with some self awareness, basically living frugally. Pick your college and then see what you can work out for living arraingments. Might be cheaper to split an apartment with some responsible friends. Also, this could net you a garage. Which, trust me, would be awesome, cause you’re gonna want to work on stuff and the dorm rooms just can’t swing enough room to swing a hammer.

4 Likes

Planespotting :slight_smile:

2015 - holiday on the first beach . where I’m able to spend a complete day without getting bored

Special visitor in Vienna

3 Likes

Sounds pretty impressive! All in usable state? If so, respect for that! I’m already a bit afraid if I get all my oldies running again…

All those childhood memories :wink:
Grew up with the great adventures of Lucasfilm Games (Loom, Monkey Island, Indiana Jones…) stupid but fun stuff like Jill of the Jungle or Street Rod, Daemons Gate (still love the soundtrack), C&C, Heroes of M&M, Zork Nemesis, Death Gate… ah, far too many :wink: I know I could easily run them on a modern PC using DosBox or a virtual machine, but I like the tinkering on old hardware as well.

1 Like

Can I please see your photo book as well?
I have an interest in photography and currently doing some research about fungi… I find them fascinating. And for return you can google “bacteriography” and “moldography”.

1 Like

There is too many of them for me to give you a good count but any that aren’t in a running state eventually end up there. It just depends on what we feel like doing :slight_smile:

Sounds great - always somthing fun to work on :wink:
Guess I’ll post here again when my gaming-room is finally set up - but that might take a few months still… I’m already sooo excited!

2 Likes

Hobbies? Are those what you do when you’re not working, doing uni, or other freelance dev work? hahaha

2 Likes

Hobbies? -looks around- … is … is this a hobby?

8 Likes

When it is fun I bet it is. Or when you figure out that problem that has been bugging you for ever it is a hobby.

When it is frustrating, it is work. Responding to basic people like me about the Apex is work. Dealing with crazy people is work.

I think you are lucky to be in a position to mostly do what truly interest you.

2 Likes

thanks to you all, indeed.

1 Like