What's your dream Biomod?

Interesting. So are you missing a limb or would you replace a “normally functioning” limb for this?

2 Likes

I am not missing a limb. I just feel the prosthetics have reached a point where I wouldn’t lose much functionality. Especially with the Luke arm having full range of motion and the others that can sense temperature and pressure.

None of the options I am aware of are quite as good as a normal limb at this point.

Although that might be one way to reach your weight loss goals. :rofl:

2 Likes

This is my issue. Beating nature for strength, energy efficiency, energy source, sensor array, dexterity, and SPEED! Man… speed…it’s going to be a long time before a practical prosthetic beats that

1 Like

That is sort of true with below-knee prosthetics. But above knee is still a major functional loss, and arms are still a complete disaster at any level, however much money you throw at the problem. And that’s not changing anytime soon, considering the complexity of a fully functional upper limb.

“You might also be interested in the following items…”

Customers who bought this, also bought this…"

if you hadn’t seen this thread, I thought you might be interested, FYI

1 Like

Staying within the realm of the achievable reasonably soon, by dream hack would be an added functionality of any kind that interacts with me both ways - i.e. it talks to me and I talk to it using solely my nervous system, ideally without an external power supply.

For instance, a timepiece that tells me the time on command: I twitch a muscle, and it zaps the time in morse code using electrical impulses. Even that simple concept (1 bit duplex I/O) is all shades of complicated for biohackers for a lot of reasons. In fact, it’s not terribly easy to do even if you have access to medical research equipment and the all-important medical creds needed to make it happen legally in a hospital. Still, it’s not far off…

2 Likes

Actually a timepiece implant is probably one of the most easy things to do because of the extremely low power requirements… I mean “easy” as in out of all active device implants for biohackers to work on, an RTC takes almost no power and even less to activate a nerve (pacemakers, DBS, etc.) … a good sized primary cell, sealed in a proper casing, could run this kind of thing for a few years at least… if not more.

3 Likes

As I have a fucked up eye since birth, I’d love to replace it.

amblyopia Lazy eye.

2 Likes

It’s not robotic but how’s this for speed?

1 Like

Yes, that’s why I chose this example. But even that is very hard to implement for real - at least if you want something that gets under your skin and Just Works Reliably™ - as opposed to a huge lump of something dangerous implanted by adventurous grinders that’ll need to be taken out soon by design.

1 Like

I’d get my brain in a robot body, or if possible, get uploaded to a robot body.

2 Likes

There is one great thing anyone could get tomorrow to gain a direct audio interface, and that’s a cochlear implant.

If your sense of hearing is fine, you have deep pockets and you’re willing to risk your hearing, you could get one and very likely not suffer any adverse effect to your current hearing abilities.

Unfortunately, it’s not happening because no doctor will implant you if you don’t have a profound hearing impairment. I should know, I’ve been asking everywhere for years. Even Russian doctors won’t touch that with a 10-foot pole. That should tell you something…

1 Like

images (1)
even a “HOW TO” diagram

2 Likes

Given that my eyes are the only thing that really doesn’t work as well as they should I would love scifi eye replacements. “Zwack has been to chiba too”… Zoom lenses, night vision, IR,…

Not an option yet, and probably not in my lifetime, but it would need to actually be an improvement over glasses or contact lenses to make me do it.

2 Likes

Just turn me into inspector gadget and I’ll be happy :yum:

1 Like

As far as BCI, I’d be pretty happy with keyboard and mouse commands, equivalent or faster than using a physical

Maybe a heads up display window not unlike ghost in the shell for YouTubes

3 Likes

If that was possible and made typing in VR easy, I’d definently get one.

Honestly I’d love robotic eyes with proper colour, not that being coloirblind is a huge detriment to my life but having that on top of vision correction and possible zoom, IR as other people have said. It would be great haha

1 Like

Hmmmm…
On the cyborg-y side, I think I’d like to improve my senses - like, being able to see beyond the usual spectrum, getting a north sense or some sort of sonar. The last two won’t “improve” existing senses, but be something completely new, so I wouldn’t swap out stuff but rather add something to my body. For the eyes… well. Guess I’d be too afraid of side-effects and such to get my eyes swapped out, and they’re working fine, so… not yet something to think of.

On the more bodymod-y side, I’d love to get bioluminescence. Patterns of colour, running across my whole body (not sure if circuit-board-style or rather a bit more tribal-like), and I’d be able to control the colours and speed by my mind. And bright enough to be visible at day!
Maybe a bit more realistic - good, colourful, intense glow-in-the-dark tattoos. Would be a nice start :wink:

edit: Oh, I forgot one! Totally hippy-like, but I’d love to have some sort of “device” on my body to connect to other beings. To deeply and fully understand them, like, knowing what a tree feels or such… comparable maybe to those things in Cameron’s Avatar film, or in a way the braindance stuff in cyberpunk.

1 Like