Where are you going to get your Apex Flex implanted?

Can anyone with a flex in the knife edge part of the hand comment on comfort, issues, or noticable feeling in that location. That’s where I want the apex, but also debating with the wrist / forearm to avoid more risk possibly.

Also is the top of the wrist or the underside of the wrist more recommended, or does it not matter?

I decided after a lot of back and forth against knife edge for a P4

Kinda glad I did, I don’t think life edge would hurt but I do think you’d feel it more

There’s a lot of stuff going on underneath the wrist, it’s probably best to avoid or REALLY do your research and get an installer who knows that area

(A defensive thing that’s taught these days is, when taking a melee defensive stance, try to roll the under sides of your arms inwards, as they are contain the large arteries and other good stuff, and the outside of your arm is mostly flesh and muscle… much better to sacrifice)

What would you recommend if there is a watch? A smartwatch? I assume it will be a little bit uncomfortable and maybe some issue because of the watch tech.

I think you and I have the same installer in Fenton MI. He did my xSIID last year, and will be doing my future flex install too. Was there anything you would have had him do different, or made him aware of for next time?

Would you mind sharing the details of the installer in Fenton? Pirate is awesome, but it’s a 4+ hour drive for me.

Fenton tattoo and piercing,
Thomas is the guy you want, good dude
I get ahold of him via fb messenger to the shops page

Make sure to remind him which way you want the needle bevel, and don’t let him push the flex in with tools ( it’s super tempting so I don’t fault him, given I was his first flex install)

1 Like

Awesome, thanks!

I have a payment conversion flex in the blade of my left hand. Maybe I’m an outlier (or just a big baby) but it was a really unpleasant install so it’s hard for me to recommend that location.

Couldn’t use my hand, or really my whole left arm, for about 2 weeks after. After about a month it didn’t hurt at all anymore and I regained full movement of my arm. That first month was a lot worse than I expected going into it though!

My hand feels completely normal with it in there now, no discomfort at all unless I bang it on something hard. And the blade is a super convenient location to make payments from, so I’m pretty happy that it’s there.

That said, there’s no way im going through that recovery again with my right blade, so I’m thinking the top the forearm is where my APEX is going. Maybe the area where a watch would go, but on the right arm so that it doesn’t interfere with wearing a watch…

Amal, do you have a install video of that location?

1 Like

Nope no video sorry

Thanks for sharing, I definitely like the convenience of that location, I might be fine with a longer recovery as long as once it’s healed you didn’t experience any pain or issues.

1 Like

If I get one (which I probably will) it’s going in L3 most likely since I don’t feel comfortable with a knifes edge install of any implant, let alone a flex, I have a lot of room between metacarpals 4 and 5 for some reason, and that leaves me with L0 and L1 with low crosstalk. Might do L1 though and put something else in L3 though because it feels way more comfortable to read on my own phone for authentication. I feel like I’m general I can have 3 per hand of the same frequency without too much crosstalk, since you can easily isolate p0 by pulling your thumb down (I would assume) and them P1 and P3 are opposite sides.

Don’t forget fingers.

I currently have a glassie in L0, a flex in L4 and another flex in L8 with zero interference. I would feel very confident putting another flex in L1 (because it would end up 90 degrees in the field if I present my L0 glassie, rendering it unable to talk), in L7 (because index and middle fingers can be oriented 90 degrees apart and 90 degrees from the metacarpals very easily) and L10 if space allows. L9 would be an option also if my L8 wasn’t already taken, but it’s not so easy to control the ring finger independently from the middle finger.

Implants in P1 through P5 rely on distance to avoid crosstalk because they’re all roughly in the same plane. P0 isolates P1-5 implants because the wrist puts them in another plane, and finger joints give you yet further options to select which implant ends up flat against the reader and which end up vertical.

If your installer is good enough to do finger installs that is. Mine is, and my next one is definitely going in a finger. It’s just so damn convenient.

Yeah the issue is I have short fingers

How small would that be?

For comparison, here’s the size of my middle finger phalange (I wear size 10 gloves):

And here’s where my flexNT sits:

It’s 22 mm long and I reckon I have around 6 mm of extra space before it gets too long and gets wedged between the two joints. So my middle finger is exactly the right size for a v2 flex, and way too large for a flexNT - but too small for a v1 flex.

So if the flexNT is your thing, I reckon you could probably implant one even with quite short fingers.

Surprisingly after messing around with some calipers it looks like it would actually work. It would be tight, but it would fit. I think if I got a flexnt I would be waiting until v2 though.

Well the current flexNT is shorter. I think v2 will be based on the longer flex antenna. So maybe you want the current one instead, just to be on the safe side length-wise. Not to mention, it’s been battle-tested in Amal’s finger for years, whereas the new one… uuh, not so much.

I don’t think I will be filling up my hands and wrists anytime soon, so I can just put it there.

flexNT2 is 40mm long with encapsulation I believe. I wouldnt recommend trying to fit that in your finger unless you have some realllly long fingers :laughing:

1 Like

Really? I had no idea. That’s kind of long for a needle job isn’t it?

The needle is marked at 40 I think, just go a bit deeper. I think the needle is long enough if that’s your concern.